iPod mini SQ clarifications
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kaxixi

Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

I have a 2nd gen iPod Mini. Been reading up here on the forum, and here's what I've gathered:

--SQ sucks on the first gen Mini, but was improved for this version. I haven't heard the first gen mini, so I can't comment on this. My iPod certainly doesn't sound terrible.

--SQ on the 2nd gen Mini still isn't as good as some of the other iPods (especially the shuffle and 5g video iPods). I have compared my mini with my gfriend's shuffle, and hers sounds moderately better (smoother).

I was wondering if the problem with the minis lay with their headphone amps (this is what I suspect) or their DACs. If its the former, then the problem can be addressed by using a line-out dock (eg. Turbodock) to an external amp. Any ideas?

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 5
This wasn't a personal question (I already use a line-out to an amp). I was wondering if this would help others who have a mini and don't like the SQ--it is a potentially cheap way to solve the minis SQ problems.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 5
I used to have a mini. I didn't notice much difference going from my 1G mini's line-out to my 5G's line-out, but then again I'm not yet a real "audiophile".
biggrin.gif
I think MOST of the problem lies in the headphone out though.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 5
kaxixi - the only answer to all of that is yes. Its an issue that well covered on the forums here. You'll probably start to notice now, how everyone is fixated on SQ via line out or earphone. Theres also the issue of the quality of the original source material you are using, how its encoded, what earphones you are using and problems with using EQ on some iPods. Its the sum of the whole that effects your SQ.

Personally I couldn't be bothered with an amp, it adds too much bulk. At the end of the day its about enjoying the music. I ended up here because I wasn't enjoying the sound from my CD/MP3 Portable and felt my ancient battered MD sounded much better. After spending some time here I now have a better idea of why that was. I'm not an Audiophile though. I'm happy to compromise SQ for convenience, portability and budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back