Ipod mini + portable amp. size matters!!
Aug 1, 2008 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

rei_yano

100+ Head-Fier
ok so I might get a mini and mod it to 32gb and rockbox it for flac usage. I will likely get a portable amp for it because I will likely buy a yuin pk1 or ok1. so here is the deal: the mini is pretty small and having an amp with it kinda kills its portability to some degree... I want a fairly nice amp. not a cmoy or anything.... however size definitely matters here... I want something that isnt that much larger than the mini itself. preferably I want it to be same size or smaller... what should I consider here? I have read all the reviews and guides but my mind cannot sort through all the info like a sql query or something... maybe you guys could help me list out some possibilities? thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 32
Chew on me later, but Xin SuperMicro IV.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 32
iBasso T2, or Xin SuperMicro or SuperMini if you can find them.

Nothing else is really portable. I'm surprised someone suggested the 2Move. That thing's the size of a small car.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 32
I also have a Ipod Mini 2gen with a 32 gig CF card in it.

Here it is on top of a Ibasso D2 Viper with ALO Bling Bling LOD.
6fv9f4.jpg

and here it is on top of a Corda Headsix with Ultra Low Profile LOD (original maker is too busy atm to make anymore though).
531ogj.jpg

Both next to a pack of Juicy Fruit gum.

Ignore the mess in the background please.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 32
iBasso D2-Boa, iBasso T1/T2, Minibox-D, RSA Tomahawk, Meier Headsix

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 32
thank you everybody.

well Im really intrigued by emmeline. the tomohawk, hornet, and predetor. out of all of those which is the smallest? also can you opt to not pay for the dac and only have the amp?

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 32
Here is a couple of size comparison shots with the Ipod Mini 2gen, D2 Viper, Headsix, and the pack of gum:

Side
sb3hjm.jpg

Front
2mpzxxz.jpg

As for the Yuin OK1, I just absolutely love it. They sound really great. I haven't needed to use any of my other headphones when I am on the go. The lack of isolation isn't a problem in any situation so far minus one: airplanes. That's where the turbines on the wings are super loud and require me to either use my Denon C700 canalphones or my Beyer DT250 (the only big phone I own that I would use outside).

I really never go out with just an Ipod and no amp which is when I would use my AT CM700. Shame since they are also a nice earphone.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you everybody.

well Im really intrigued by emmeline. the tomohawk, hornet, and predetor. out of all of those which is the smallest? also can you opt to not pay for the dac and only have the amp?

The Tomahawk is the smallest, and it doesn't have a DAC. I think it's about $250.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 32
I want to buy (or build) a portable headphone amp for my Mini to.
What amp gives a real "plus" at the sound quality ?

I saw the raptor and the Pico but it is way too expensize.

So do you have an idea for an amp for Mini that gives a good sound quality for 70$?

thanks for help.

Edit: What do you think of little dot micro ?

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to buy (or build) a portable headphone amp for my Mini to.
What amp gives a real "plus" at the sound quality ?

I saw the raptor and the Pico but it is way too expensize.

So do you have an idea for an amp for Mini that gives a good sound quality for 70$?

thanks for help.

Edit: What do you think of little dot micro ?

What headphones will you be using with the setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back