Ipod Mini lovers, lets talk
May 25, 2005 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

South_Korean

1000+ Head-Fier
I think my original post didnt really make people feel like answering me... sorry if i made a bad impression. i just want to know abou the overall sound of the new mini's (4 gigabytes). will be able to drive a pair of sennheiser 212 pros?

May 26, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 12
The Senn 212 Pro has an impedance of 32 ohms which are pretty easy to drive. The iPod Mini can even drive the Beyerdynamic DT 880 with a nominal impedance of 250 ohms and make it sound good...though an amp is still highly suggested.

I just got the Shure E4c (29 ohm impedance) and now I don't feel that I need to carry around an amp at all, it's just me the Mini and the E4c...oh and the music too!

May 26, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm really not sure about the HD212 so I hope you don't mind if I add a few other thoughts. My 1G Mini drives my HD280s and HD595s adequately; but an amp greatly improves the range for the HD595; marginal improvement for the HD280.

What I really wanted to get at is the lack of space on the Mini. It took me a year and a half, but I'm tired of shuffling my music back and forth and not having all of my music with me. I do love the Mini's form factor, though - it is the right size. I gave my 3G to the GF as a stereo for her basement, so now I'm jonesing for a lot of different music that I used to have at my fingertips.

If you haven't bought the Mini yet, I would reconsider...

May 26, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 12
yeah, i dont want an amp lol. to tell you the truth, i like the ipod mini's design and software too but i dont really like the player itself. i mean its like a trend now, and i never did like apple too much. i just want a player that has software close to itunes, not too expensive, small and looks good.

p.s. is there any players with firmware that doesnt just put songs in alphebetical order? id like to make my own order of songs
rolleyes.gif

May 26, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 12
With no disrespect, in the HD212-iPod mini combo it's not the iPod that's the weak link.
wink.gif

Basically you have ID3 (usually track number) or file structure (usually alphabetical/numerical) order. Either way (without renaming tags or files) you're not going to control the order without creating a playlist (for the players that support them - most do one way or another). So in either case you're kinda in the same boat, you're going to have to rely on an alternative ordering list.... which pretty much is the definition of 'playlist'.

May 26, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 12
i've got a loose comparison, i used to have a gen 1 mini with a pair of HD202s.

the setup in both cases seemed perfectly adequate, sound came through loud and clear. the only thing i didn't like was the lack of bass (which to save us all going round in circles, i'm going to abandon that point).

provided there isn't any siginificant major changes from mini gen1/2 and HD202/HD212, the combo should be fine. but however, when i visited the uk apple store several months ago they had on display; gen 4 ipods and gen 1 minis with a variety of headphones such as the HD212 Pro and smaller ones. My memory is a little fuzzy but i do not recall seeing (or listening to) any minis with the larger headphones.

maybe the mini couldn't adequately drive the HD212s? or maybe it's just aesthetics that smaller headphones go with the smaller player? i don't know, but my thoughts are that it should be alright.

May 27, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 12
but i heard that their hard drives crash and freeze, and that they are hardly recognized by the software/computer.

May 27, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 12
would u say the bass came in spades with the ipod mini too? maybe ill just do what people suggest, listen for yourself, i mean , everyones got an ipod these days so ill just try it with theirs.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back