Ipod mini 1G vs 2G for CF card mod?
Apr 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sardonyx

Head-Fier
I got a used mini from ebay that was advertised as a 2G, but it is a 1G. Does the 2G have a different, more efficient chipset/firmware? Would the post-mod (32GB CF card & new 750mah battery) life be better with a 2G than 1G? I won't hassle with returning the mini if the end result is the same.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 7
I put a 16GB CF card in my mini 1G, and replaced the battery with a 3rd party battery (can't remember capacity, but it is only slightly higher than the stock battery).

Even with the CF card in place of the original Seagate 4GB Microdrive, the battery life is pretty short. I forgot how short it is exactly, but it's slightly better than the stock mini 1G's , which was pretty dismal to begin with.

Based on battery performance, if I were to do it over, I would have prefer the 2G mini, but the 1G was a lot cheaper so I went ahead

If you could get a 2G mini instead, that would be ideal, or get a hefty discount on the 1G to make up for the misrepresentation in the ebay ad.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah but the 1G mini has an wolfson w8731 instead of the wm8711. nice If you plan on using it lod or diymod. I remember reading that the wm8731 is one of the more favorable wolfson dac.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 7
I feel your pain, OP. Mine was labeled and had the casing of a 2nd gen 4gb but was in fact a 1g. The only way to really be sure is to get a 6gb that's not been refurbished.

With that said, I could almost watch the battery indicator move while rockbox played music. It was that bad.

Then again, that was more than a year ago and rockbox has had some major improvements when it comes to battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back