iPod listening: Grado SR80? Sony 7506? Senn HD280? Or what?!?
Mar 15, 2006 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

keenmachine

New Head-Fier
Greetings! I'm a brand new member (still have that out-of-the-box new member shine) and I've gotten a TON of info out of reading old posts and reviews here, so thanks. I'd love to hear where folks weigh in on this question--

I've been looking for a pair of sub $100 cans for unamped listening on an iPod and computer. I want to move up from my basic AKG K 26Ps. I've been hemming and hawing over the grado sr80, sony 7506, and sennheiser hd 280 pro. I know this is a bit apples to oranges with open and closed phones, but hey...

My question: What are your recs between these three? More broadly, are there other headphones out there I should throw into the mix?

More info:
So I have a basic setup, and my listening environment is in a relatively private office and on the commuter train. My listening preferences are all over the map: 40% rock/pop (coldplay, U2, radiohead, 80s and classic...) 20% rap, 20% folk/bluegrass, 10% classical, 10% jazz. I'd love to find something that's competent and versatile across this whole range...nothing too analytical, but not sickeningly warm. Sadly, the $100 is a pretty firm line (I'm trying to be strong!)
biggrin.gif

Talk to me now before get too far down any one path!!!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 20
Of the cans you mentioned, I would recommend the Sony V6's since you will be listening while on the train. You need the sound isolation and the Grado won't be able to provide it. The V6's are almost exactly the same as the 7506's and the latter are not worth the extra cost. I have not personally heard the 280's, but many people on this forum really dislike them.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 20
I have a pair of SR80s and like you pretty new to all this too.I absolutley love them ,made me go "holy ****" when i first heard them playing Radiohead.However if you want to use them for an office or on public transport i dont think they would suit as they leak alot.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks! I've been leaning away from the Senns because even though folks say a lot of good stuff, one thing that comes up a lot is they're a little cold-sounding.

I'm not super-worried about leaking because my train ride is about 40 min o/w compared to 8 hours in an office, so I'd be happy to accept some tradeoffs on this.

Anyone able to compate the SR80s vs the V6s?

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by keenmachine
Thanks! I've been leaning away from the Senns because even though folks say a lot of good stuff, one thing that comes up a lot is they're a little cold-sounding.

I'm not super-worried about leaking because my train ride is about 40 min o/w compared to 8 hours in an office, so I'd be happy to accept some tradeoffs on this.

Anyone able to compate the SR80s vs the V6s?

How private is your office? I swear more volume leaks out of my SR-60's than what actually makes it to my ears. Also, you really won't be able to listen to the Grado's at all on the train, unless you want the whole rest of the train listening to what you are listening to.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 20
I have hd 280 pro, and listened Grado SR60,80 and V6.
for sound quality, gardo SR 60 80 are winner. More detailed and transparent in classical music. but it's open cans and kind of ugly (imho).

V6 is good for rock and pop, better bass and warmer than hd 280.

I chose HD 280 pro for myself b/c its flat response trait, truthfully reproduces the sound for all its good and bad, no any distort in bass, and feeling of being on the stage with bands.

you could hearding slight coughs from audiance, a person next to pianist is turning the scores page, someone is sneaking in on stage.. the subtle sound of footstep..
well, soon, I found not too many good CDs to listen..

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by keenmachine
hmmm...I wouldn't really be bothering anyone here at work. I'll be selfish and say I'm more concerned with what I'm hearing than anything else. But you make a really good point.

If, after what you have researched, you feel that you have your heart set on the SR-80's, then I say go for it. Just make sure to buy from a retailer with return policy in case it doesn't work out. It's better to try what YOU feel is best first, otherwise you will always be second guessing your decision to try somebody elses recommendation.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 20
MS1 would be my choice over any of those, I prefer its smoothness over the V6 and SR80 which are more colored.

unless you need max isolation then the HD280 is the best, somewhat portable too.
If you need max portability the V6 is best. It also folds into a ball, but is smaller than the HD280 when folded.
Ms1 and SR80 are not really portable and offer no isolation.

IMHO the HD280 is ruler flat, maybe a little treble exageration.
Slightly more colored is the MS1, with more forward mids and bass kick.
SR80 ups the coloration more, with slightly more bass kick and mid projection.
MDRV6 tops the list as the most colored. Bass is BOOMY and a bit bloated. Mids are REALLY foreward and aggressive.

You should also consider the D66 eggo... though Ive never heard one.

Garrett

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 20
The 280 are great cans in my opinion and will give you all the isolation you could want and then some, but perhaps a bit too analitical if you just want to listen to music (great if you need them to equalize tracks, listen for oarts in a mix...), inteligent equalization will provide good results but you might just want to go for a more musical pair. However I love them and DO use them for the little home listening I do thru headphones.

The grados will be no good for transit in public transportation to work, you need isolation (I´ve ordered a pair of UM1s to keep the blaring voulme needed on my Px100s from damaging my ears).

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 20
I have the mdr7506 which people say are the same as v6 and I like them, Kramer describes em pretty well, but I much prefer their amount of bass to the hd280 which I thought wasn't nearly loud enough, this was when I was allready used to the 7506 however, might have felt differently if I tried em several hours and I don't listen very loud. This was also taking outside noise into consideration, might have felt differently in a quiet environment.
The biggest downside to the hd280 was that it didn't fit my head.
I don't really mind the bass on the Sonys I find it works great for me for listening on the subway and bus.
The part I mind the most is the somewhat aggressive high mids/highs.
For some recordings they are to aggressive and if I could change only one thing with em it would be to make them a bit more relaxed in that department.
Overall at the price and for wearing in somewhat noisy environments with portable players I think they are a good buy.
Another can that might be a bit over your price ( perhaps not if used ) is the beyerdynamic dt 250 80 ohm. Don't know how it works with a portable though, only heard them in stores from regular equipment.
There are the new akg k81 dj also, from the threads I read they seem like they might be something to have a look at, should be a few tens under 100.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 20
Sorry to bring this off topic, but does the MS-1 leak sound more than the senn eh 485? is the ms-1's leakage about the same as an earbud? more? less? could it be used on a plane?

Thanks

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 20
I just went through the proverbial "critical listening session" between my V6's and my SR-60's, since my headphone selection is similar to what you are looking at. I also threw in my 580's every once in awhile, but they always trounced the other two, so I didn't do that too often. I mostly had to tip the sq award to the SR-60's, but there were a couple of tracks that I actually preferred to listen to the V6's. Usually it was the songs where the bass was especially important to the general feeling of the song. I think the SR-60 wins due to its open nature.

But, my recommendation for you still stands, I think the V6's are the best for your situation (again, I can't compare the 280's since I haven't heard them). I wouldnt want my Grado's for any kind of portability, even if just for transportability. The V6's are so much more hardy for traveling, both in durability and the practicality of the isolation they provide. Also, the fact that they fold up is actually a very nice feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back