Ipod Line Out to Car Head Unit ... buy/build?
Dec 17, 2007 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ajames

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I have a quick question regarding a line out for my ipod.

Goal: Connecting my ipod to my car's auxiliary input.

I have an alpine headunit with what they call an "Ai-Net" auxiliary input connector on the back. The connector was primarily used for CD Changers, but as it seems, you can buy Ai-Net to RCA connectors.

I would like to then use an RCA to Ipod Line Out ... wiring this all up through my center console, or course ...

The quality of the Ai-Net to RCA connection is doubtfully that great, so should i just buy an Ipod line out to RCA connector? or should build my own ...

Any suggestions?

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 6
I do exactly the same thing. I don't have Ai-Net but my head unit has the 'versatile link' feature so i can change the CD changer in to Aux in through RCA phono.

I made this:
DSC_0008.jpg

It's a damn sight cheaper than buying one from what i've seen!

The quality is actually very good. I rip all my music at lossless and have a very expensive set up in my car. Obviously car audio is never very audiophile, but i can't tell the difference between the Aux in and a CD.

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 6
And, just to clarify, your "versatile link" feature is through the use of RCA's into the back of the head unit? No proprietary connector needed?

I ask this, because the connector i need to use will, no doubt, be the weak link in the setup, and i don't want to waste my time/money if building an RCA to Ipod LO connector like yours if it won't improve quality ...

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry, i wasn't clear enough.

I have to use an adapter. It's M-Bus to RCA. Then i plug my LOD>RCA cable in.

It's not ideal, but i seriously doubt you will be able to tell the difference in SQ. The Adapter cables are very short, and alpine don't make cheap flimsy products.

You could always mod that too?

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 6
I know ... i definitely thought about ripping apart the connector, but i think I'll avoid that for now. A dedicated line out to auxiliary input into my head unit will be a significant improvement for now ...

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to make your RCA connector?

I've searched ebay for them, but i've been unsuccessful in finding dock connectors to toy with ...

Thanks for your input ...

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 6
Qables.com*»*WHAT'S NEW

Everything you need is there, apart from wire (unless you want to use silver strand a braid).

Hans is great, ask in the comments box of the order page and he'll send you a wiring diagram.

I used Canare star quad cable because its good enough, flexible, and good shielding necessary for a car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back