iPod kicks butt
Dec 18, 2002 at 12:57 PM Post #31 of 37
I don't really know if the ipod truly is limited in sound quality in comparison to the zen. Maybe against the NJb3, only because it has a line out so that you can really get the benefits for an amp portably, but not necessarily against the zen. Both sound incredibly good out of the headphone out.

Unless we're talking about that bass issue that some people have with their ipods.

As far as upgrading, the ipod could be upgraded, the only problem is the form factor and the drives aren't commercially available.

Dec 18, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
iPod looks nice, but limited in sound quality and upgrade options. People who have A/B them are most impressed with the Nomad's improved sound quality.

This isn't a universal opinion. Lots of people who have heard them both feel they're pretty comparable, and considering the raves he iPod's sound quality has received, I'd wager that there's not much difference. Perhaps those who have found a difference are comparing the "stock" songs on the iPod (128k) with better-ripped tracks on a Zen.

Dec 18, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #34 of 37
I have to admit that I bought my 5GB iPod partly because on ipodlounge.com people sounded like they were having so much fun with them. i really wasn't sure what I'd really do with it. After having it awhile, it has reawakened my interest in my music.

1. I can take 840 songs, currently ALL of my favorites, with me on any trip all loaded in a unit the size and volume of a pack of playing cards (about a third the size of a PCDP). Try taking a comparable number of CD's on a trip. Twice the flight attendants have wanted to take it with them after seeing it!

2. With a cassette adapter I play them in the rental cars I've used since I got the unit, including a 4 day roundtrip drive from Denver to Santa Cruz to take my daughter to college. In fact on that 4 day trip I finally heard a repeat song within an hour of coming back home. There are 56.5 hours of songs on the unit! The unit can be dealt with with one hand even while driving.

3. Sound quality is fine on the road, well, as good as the system in the car, and in flight I use a pair of Noisebusters (cheap noise canceling cans) and they work well for me.

4. At home selecting a set of tunes is exceptionally easy since I don't have to plow through hundreds of CG's to get what I want and using playlists I can build combinations of songs to listen to that are ready at the push of a button.

5. After being delighted with the clear sound from the Apple buds I got interested in the reviews from this site and got a pair of Grado SR80's and now really enjoy the headphone experience.

6. I don't notice the lack of a lineout, I use the headphone jack into my CD or AUX line inputs on my receiver and while the iPod sound seems a touch shallower when A-B'ing between the CD player and the iPod I suspect that using a higher setting in iTunes when I rip my CD's might take care of the difference. But the difference just isn't worth it.

7. Finally, the Firewire interface makes downloading very quick and painless. Copying 4.5 GB from my Mac to the iPod was just minutes! In fact I now have a set of the tunes on a Mac at work, on laptop, and on a desktop at home that all play nicely with iTunes and speakers.

So if you've read this far I hope this helped, but for me, the point of the iPod is to make great music as easily accesssible as possible and it succeeds admirably! Music has never been so portable and so convenient with so little tradeoff in fidelity.

Dec 19, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #36 of 37
Actually, that's according to the specs I looked up. The DAC outputs 98dB SNR at line-level output, and a bit less for the headphone out. Acutal SNR is probably a bit lower but still around there that any difference is insignificant.

Dec 19, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Ken Takahashi
There are 56.5 hours of songs on the unit!

That's actually one of my favorite "neat" features of iTunes: the total info on your library. My iPod currently has 2215 songs that total 6 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes, and 20 seconds
wink.gif
(and I still have 9GB free!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back