iPod-->iTunes Transfer Question
Mar 26, 2006 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Voltron

HeadFest '07 Lead OrganizerThe DOTU
What software do people like to copy songs off an iPod and back into iTunes, or at least onto a Mac? We lost our hard drive a couple months ago, and with it many many CDs worth of music (read hundreds). Thankfully, the Apple Store actually reconstructed everything we had purchased through there. They said it was a one-time thing, and we happen to be long-time customers and .Mac account-holders, but we were happy about that one. Anyway, our iPod has about 8GB of music that isn't on our new hard drive (or the LaCie external we are using for music now) and I would like to recover the tunes from there. Thanks in advance for ideas.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 15
I remember there were a couple programs, but the way i do it is to just browse the ipod, go into the hidden folder where all the music is kept, copy it to a folder, add it to itunes, and let itunes organize it for me. Hope that was clear, i can give more specific instructions if need be.
-g

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
I remember there were a couple programs, but the way i do it is to just browse the ipod, go into the hidden folder where all the music is kept, copy it to a folder, add it to itunes, and let itunes organize it for me. Hope that was clear, i can give more specific instructions if need be.
-g

Did I mention that it is a second generation iPod?

Thanks gstein, but I have no idea what you mean by browsing the iPod. When I open the iPod on the Mac, the folders do not seem to contain a music folder so how do I find it?

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 15
Hey Veniogenesis, how've you been? Thanks for the link--that looks like a good start. The only comment on the Applescripts sounds a little shaky, but maybe I will give the Xpod a shot.

Haibane--my wife is the one that downloads tunes when she is looking for songs or putting together playlists, and she couldn't care less about the format or quality. She doesn't buy a lot of albums that way, but she had accumulated quite a few tunes over the years. Cheers.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 15
I used ephpod last week to retransfer all of my ipod music to my hard drive. Good program, worked great, and best of all, it's free!

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
I used ephpod last week to retransfer all of my ipod music to my hard drive. Good program, worked great, and best of all, it's free!

Just as a note, ephpod is a Windows/Linux only program.
tongue.gif

Regards,
Venio

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Just as a note, ephpod is a Windows/Linux only program.
tongue.gif

Regards,
Venio

Gah! Apple computers seem so wonderful, but curse the compatibility!!!

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Hey Veniogenesis, how've you been? Thanks for the link--that looks like a good start. The only comment on the Applescripts sounds a little shaky, but maybe I will give the Xpod a shot.

Haibane--my wife is the one that downloads tunes when she is looking for songs or putting together playlists, and she couldn't care less about the format or quality. She doesn't buy a lot of albums that way, but she had accumulated quite a few tunes over the years. Cheers.

ah ok, I figured it was somethign like that. Thought I would ask though. I always just hit up amazon... usually cheaper anyhow lol

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 15
Just for reference for my method:
Music is in \[iPod root]\iPod_Control\Music\FXX Where XX is a number. All of the file names are encrypted, but if you add them to itunes and have the setting "Let itunes organize my library" turned on, it will rename them for you
-g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back