iPod is the Best MP3 Player !
Jul 27, 2002 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
The Apple iPod is the best 20 gig MP3 player there is. It can play any format, has firewire, super interface, great sound and even works with PC's. And it fits in the palm of your hand. OK no line out, portable. Doesn't need an amp. Bring it on...

Jul 27, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 22
Ok, I'll bite... If you have the hardware to support it. Unfortunately I don't. (Pathetic, I know...) Yet, with the puny computing power that I'm relagated to, I can drag & drop tons o'tones to a CDR-RW for my SlimX. Works for me. (Least till I get some computing horsepower... then the Ipod's looking pretty good... Hey, I'll admit it !)
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 22
Yes... It makes my D-CJ01 look very ancient. I'm gonna wait for a recording version tho, I think... Possibly the one after the forthcoming Archos may do the job, but I would really like a recording iPod. Then I can dispose of all my minidisc gear!

Jul 27, 2002 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

It makes my D-CJ01 look very ancient

And just when I haven't hardly USED the one I just bought! Hopefully my first mp3 product that actually WORKS properly
rolleyes.gif
Your thoughts on the D-CJ01 Magicthyse?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 27, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 22
As an MP3 CD player? It's good. Have a few gripes (no ffw/rw in mp3 tracks, megacrappobass is exactly that, response could be quicker) but have no real problems with it. I use mine with CD-RW's almost exclusively, burning compilations just before I leave the house.

I suspect that for the uses of many here, ie with an amp from the line out, the DCJ01 is decidedly superior to anything comparable out at the moment, including the SlimX.

Oh, a couple of tips for the D-CJ01. Never burn CD-RW's at speeds greater than the media is certified for. Always 'close' or 'finalize' discs (one reason to use CD-RW's).

Jul 27, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 22
I went to the grand opening of the Apple store in Los Angeles last night, and I was able to handle the new 20 gig iPod.

I like the new track wheel. It feels good. It's definitely more solid. The center button doesn't rock like the 5 gig, and when you press it, you won't inadvertantly spin the dial, which happens to me often.

The clock feature is a little dumb. It doesn't display in the top corner like I expected. You have to go through a bunch of menus to get to it.. I wonder if there is a shortcut key. BTW, this display ipod's clock was stuck at 12:00:00. I guess the update isn't fully finished? I guess it all doesn't really matter; it's just a clock.

For some odd reason, I thought both the 10 gig and 20 gig were supposed to be thinner than the old 5 gig. Only the 10 gig is, and the 20 gig is actually a little bit thicker.

If I were to get a new one, I'd probably just get the 10 gig just for the track wheel and the extra portability (even if it is only a fraction of an inch.) My 5 gig scroll wheel worries me. I really don't need that much more space. I keep all my music on my external 120 gig, and iTunes 3's smart playlists makes it so much more convenient to sync. Actually, 5 gigs is enough. I'm hardly ever away from my computer more than a day.

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by tvhead
For some odd reason, I thought both the 10 gig and 20 gig were supposed to be thinner than the old 5 gig. Only the 10 gig is, and the 20 gig is actually a little bit thicker.

They were able to reduce form factor of the enclosure, but the 10GB and 20GB drives themselves are thicker than the 5GB. The net effect is that the 10GB is just a bit thinner than the original 5GB, and the 20GB is just a bit thicker.

I agree that the new "trackpad" dial looks more rugged than the plastic ring on the old one. I also like the remote and the fact that you get a case.

Quote:

If I were to get a new one, I'd probably just get the 10 gig just for the track wheel and the extra portability (even if it is only a fraction of an inch.) My 5 gig scroll wheel worries me. I really don't need that much more space. I keep all my music on my external 120 gig, and iTunes 3's smart playlists makes it so much more convenient to sync. Actually, 5 gigs is enough. I'm hardly ever away from my computer more than a day.

I'm kind of torn on that one -- I've never bought an MP3 player because my MiniDisc player has always been great -- better sound, smaller, with 10x the battery life. That is, unless I'm going to be gone for a long time (a trip, etc.), in which case I generall bring along 5-10 extra MDs. So the only reason I would get an MP3 player was if I got a hard drive-based model that had huge capacity. With over 1000 CDs, and the fact that the lowest bitrate I'll use is VBR with a 160 minimum, I don't think anything but the 20GB would satisfy me
wink.gif
Even so, that would mean that I could only rip a couple songs off of each CD.

I guess I could just sync playlists rather than download all of the tracks to the iPod at once...

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 22
I just got the Creative Nomad 3 Jukebox player and am very pleased with it. Whilst the new 20 GB Ipod would be very nice it wasn't around when I decided to get this (last week!).

I have also got a 3-year extended warrenty on the thing so all being well, after a couple of years it will be involved in a nasty road accident or something and I shall see what's out then.

Anyone thinking of getting the Nomad 3 but not sure about the sound quality - rest assured the machine is outstanding and sounds good - even through Etymotics!

Jul 27, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 22
Peddler, have you heard the Ipod? I was just curious as to which may have better sound. I've never heard the Nomad 3, But I have the ipod and it sounds fantastic. I may be interested in a Nomad 3 at some point.
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 22
No I have not heard the IPOD. Where I live a battery powered radio is considered alien technology so there's not much opportunity to listen to the really cool kit. I am currently listening to the Nomad through the Airhead amp and the Etymotic 4's and I have to say that the sound is easily as good as the Sony D-915 Panasonic 570 discman players. The line out is very clean (although the EAX effects can be applied if you wish) and the sound is flat, detailed and punchy.

I have not tried the optical input or recording functions of the player yet - still uploading songs but it's a brilliant unit with excellent battery life.

I hope this helps.

Jul 28, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 22
iPods do rock
smily_headphones1.gif
Wish I waited a little longer so I could get the newer models (two months longer...). Sound quality is just great with the etys... amplifiers seem to do nothing for the ipod though, oh well, no line out....

Jul 28, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 22
Whoa Lextek, you say that " It can play any format", so that means it can play Monkey and Ogg?

That's so kewl, but is it just more Ipod hype, or actually the truth? Nex

Jul 30, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
You can also use AAC, and rumors are that the next firmware update will support Ogg (let's hope).

Actually, it doesn't support AAC, but rumors say it's coming. I haven't heard anything about Ogg, and doubt it'll ever come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back