Ipod Hifi Initial sound impression
Mar 1, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 22
And Apple kept hammering about the components used and the quality of said components
rolleyes.gif

Wait...does it sound > or < than the iPod 5G? That would make good reading

Edit: Link don't work. Is it this? http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mwpo...st30/index.php

But I'll take your word for it and the macworld podcaster

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
not too surprising.

safe to say that this thing is a big flop from every angle.

A flop that will probably sell by the truckload......hmmm is that then a flop?

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 22
What were you expecting from a mono-system?

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 22
It'll flop, and shock the world by being Apple's first such product to do so. The iPod name simply cannot carry something that has no real practical use or function. Say what you wish about iPods, they do what they advertise. Only people I can see buying this are ones with money to throw completely away.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #11 of 22
when the nano came out, one of the apple executives proclaimed it as having a 'gold standard' quality sound like the shuffle too. take everything that steve jobs or apple claims with a big pinch of salt when it comes to sound quality, and thats why the next ipod will probably still feature the crappy headphone output with no custom EQ.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 22
I just bought some New Apple toilet papaer. It has superior wiping ability and strength and best of all, it's white.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
It'll flop, and shock the world by being Apple's first such product to do so. The iPod name simply cannot carry something that has no real practical use or function. Say what you wish about iPods, they do what they advertise. Only people I can see buying this are ones with money to throw completely away.

Really? How many BOSE Wave Music Systems do you see in peoples homes? I've seen them all over the place. They serve their function, and people unknowingly enjoy what they hear from them, despite paying a huge amount of $ for them. To be honest, looking at the specs and acoustic design, I'd much rather they had an iPod Hi-Fi, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the 'wave'. If you already have and use an iPod, it's a lot more convenient too.

It would be ridiculous to market it at as 'an iPod boombox that sounds like crap' so of course they have used all their jargon, but then so does every single other manufacturer on the planet. If I wanted a simply boom-box type music system for all the places when you might perfer that over a full stereo rig (kitchens, small bedrooms, dorm rooms, or any place where you've seen a Wave CD player), I'd certainly take this over the compeition (assuming it sounds half decent, which by the looks of it it should).

I've never quite understood why Apple get such negative responses to their products from a particularly vocal minority. I'm sorry they didn't make it for you, or to your specifications, or lied in exactly the same way that every other manufaturer on the planet does about the quality of their product, but with the market standing that they now have, in a sense they are victims of their own success and do actually need to continue to come through on the performance claims of their products.

And regarding it 'running of small batteries' (whoever said that I don't remember), I'm not sure that 6 D cells would be considered a platry amount of power considering it's a class D amp. That's a 22Ah 9v battery. I don't remember anyone saying anything like that about the T-Amp.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 22
The funny thing is that there have been external speaker systems of all kinds available for portable players for a long time now... but Apple releases one and all of a sudden it's all over the press, like it's some breakthrough..? I don't know where the Apple system ranks in terms of audio quality vs. all the others out there, but why is it considered news?

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
The funny thing is that there have been external speaker systems of all kinds available for portable players for a long time now... but Apple releases one and all of a sudden it's all over the press, like it's some breakthrough..? I don't know where the Apple system ranks in terms of audio quality will all the others out there, but why is it considered news?

Are you serious? Steve Jobs can make news out of nothing...

It seems we never know what will happen (cool an ipod that plays videos) or a freaking $100 slip case will be announced.

This can be said about any DAP/DAP accessory, etc. No matter what it is, if Steve Jobs was promoting it at a conference it would have MASSIVE news coverage vs even the best any other companies can offer.

That is the power of marketing, being the top-dog with an "iconic" product. What Apple accomplished with the iPod universe is the envy of most companies out there. Honestly they could sell Steve Jobs **** in a box.

That's the state of affairs. And yes I do really like the 5G iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back