Ipod Headphones - Which ones??
Nov 1, 2008 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tate

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Just found you guys, soo much info here.

I want to buy a new pair of headphones, mainly to use with my ipod and sometimes with my laptop.

Don't want in-ear. My current closed headphones make my ears go sweaty after 2 hours. So I guess I'm looking for open headphones.

Listen to hiphop, funk and ambient/newage kind of music and listen mostly at home. Ocassionaly jogging and only few times whilst on public transport.
Budget is upto £100 or $150.

What can you guys recommend? I'm coming over to LA, so can always buy in US, and at a cheaper price
smily_headphones1.gif

I already have tried on a pair of bose over ear headphones, at the uk apple store, and found them to be real comfortable).

So which model, grado? Sennheiser? I do like the DJ open cup look.

Appreciate any comments.

Tate.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 15
You might want to buy separate headphones for different functions, e.g., indoors listening, commute, running. For the commute, you want closed cans. For running, you want something light. And for your music in whatever context, you want some good bass. In that light the AD700s are not suitable at all (non-isolating, large, weak bass). The ES7s fare better both for indoors listening and for commute, though they don't isolate all that well. And running? Pick up some KSC75s maybe, though they're bass-weak IMO. Cheap though. Maybe CX300 for running instead.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe CX300 for running instead.

*face goes blank*

Are you kidding!?

Have you ran with CX300's on?

The microphonics..oh man....gees....let's just say they're bad enough when walking.

Better for running = clip-ons like the Koss KSC-75. Less than $6US at Radioshack = lols and What.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 15
I hear the KSC-75s tend to have a "loose" fit? Because i've seen it around and they sure look like they're going to fall off, unless those people don't know how to wear them properly..

If so, then maybe they're not that suitable for jogging?

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 15
for me, ksc75 is definitely not for jogging. they just sit over my ears. if i shake my head lightly, they will fall off. but they do provide some amazing sound for less than $20. oh, and they have plenty of bass imo.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 15
I would say grado sr 80s. They are relatively portable and can be powered by an ipod.

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 15
i know not everybody likes them, but i love my iGrados for portable use.. i'm a longboarder (skate, not surf) too and they go with me all the time without falling off.. so i'm sure you could run in them. they aren't comfortable for HOURS, but plenty comfortable for running i imagine. if you can find some old ones (not glued like crazy) and pull the foam out of the back and then cut holes in the pad, they sound TONS better (search "quarter mod"). anyway, just a cheap phone with (i think) great sound for portable use. +1 for the SR60 or SR80 too.

edit: ha ha.. just realized its my first post.. i've been lurking for a while and just registered a few weeks ago..

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*face goes blank*

Are you kidding!?

Have you ran with CX300's on?

The microphonics..oh man....gees....let's just say they're bad enough when walking.

Better for running = clip-ons like the Koss KSC-75. Less than $6US at Radioshack = lols and What.

Oh my goodness, you're right of course. No idea what I was thinking. I'm not sure what people suggesting MS-1 and SR60 are thinking either, actually... Then again, if they're mostly for home, I guess I can understand this... Still, 2 hours with SR60 ain't my idea of fun.

On the KSC75s for jogging: I bought them hoping to use them in the gym, but that didn't work out. I have long hair and wear glasses, which might exacerbate the fit issues. That said, the earclips are adjustable. With pliers. Or your bare hands. Metal twisting is required, at any rate.

Edit:
On the iGrados. Love these cans. Found them much comfier than the SR60s, and just as good sounding. But they're kinda heavy for running, IMO. If the OP can try these out, they might be the way to go. Won't isolate much, but OP claims that he/she rarely commutes anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back