Ipod headphone advice - To grado or not to grado?
Nov 2, 2008 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blindmilton

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm a bit of a headphone novice. I want a really nice sounding pair of headphones primarily for ipod and computer listening. I've thought about getting the Grado sr80 or 112 or 225. I wonder about the following: 1. is the 225 really worth it for this context? and 2. if I am missing a better option for what I want? The issue of closed or open is not really an issue for me. And I realize it's all somewhat subjective, but I listen to a range of music, but primarily rock/pop genre. Any help would be much appreciated. As I said, I am leaning toward a grado phone, so I'd especially like to hear thoughts on those three. Thanks! Everyone is so helpful here!

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by blindmilton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the 225 really worth it for this context?

You'd better believe it! Seriously, with these headphones and a good portable player, you can do without a separate, annoying, portable amp, and to me they sound better in this context than any other headphone I've ever owned when plugged into a portable amp.

I could get by with an SR-80 for portable listening, but probably not in my desktop setup, where the SR-225 really shines with my Gilmore Lite.

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 11
The MS1 is a watered down Grado, many people like it more than the Grados as it is more well rounded and can do more genres. Don't forget to consider the Audio Technicas too, the AD700 and AD900 offers more than the Grados in comfort and soundstage and could be a better choice for you.

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 11
Don't forget to worry about comfort, too. If you can try any of these phones you would be wise to do so. I'm not sure about how long you plan to use these per day/per session, but I am not a fan of grado's as far as comfort goes. It is completely subjective, and there are a lot of people who find grados very comfortable, so just make sure to audition if you can.

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 11
thanks for the tips, and nice to hear from a fellow yalie in New Haven (Ah, my former haunt. Hope Toad's is still hopping). I appreciate it. Comfort might be an issue here. Would anyone care to rank, say, grados and ATs for me?

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Um, for just an ipod and a stock sound card, im afraid im gonna have to say its not worth the extra $. My first grados were the sr-60s and they took more than just an ipod to get the most out of them. I bet you that if you were to hear them on a low end system, back to back, you wouldn't say either one was 140 dollars better than the other one.

However, if you dont mind spending the extra cash, and you know you are going to take care of them, the 225s might not be a bad investment, cause down the road if you get some better gear or something you will be glad you have them.

i never found grado's pads comfortable (i had to make my own pads for mine). Especially with the bowl-pads that all but the 60's have. the comfy pads are a step up. the at's have more variety in comfort. i have tried most and can say that overall, they are pretty good. the huge ones are very comfortable, the es7 and esw9 are comfortable for a while... have any particular ones in mind?

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 11
I guess I need something easily driven, for now, for my ipod. And it seems that the Grados or MS-1 work well in that respect. I guess then it matters what is the better sound purchase, the MS-1 or, say, the AT ES7? From what I can gather reading lots of posts, the MS-1s seem like a good deal and an ideal match. I suppose I might invest in an affordable amp, say the PA2V2?, but I don't want to carry around some big set up. I still like the idea of a good headphone driven by a small ipod in my pocket. So, you would say it is better to just by, say, Senn CX300 ear buds or something if that is all I am going to use them for? thanks again for the thoughts.

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 11
For a portable setup a good closed back like the ES7 is way better than the open back Grados and Alessandros that leak sound, looks ugly and has a bulky cord. And if you want to listen to your music on a bus or train an IEM with good isolation will be a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back