iPod Dock for Cheap Music Source? Advice needed!
Sep 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mjcmt

New Head-Fier
What iPod dock with volume control and remote is a good budget choice to feed directly my Audio Electronics/Cary SuperAmp MkII tube power amp? I will not be using a preamp and this will be my only source.

I'm looking at the Pro-Ject Dock Box V Active iPod® docking station with variable output and remote control. Any comments on this instead of the Wadia iTransport. I can't find out any info on its analogue output quality?

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

Mike

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 2

Barbarous

100+ Head-Fier
I have one and it bites. The Pro-Ject's circuitry degrades the line out signal (as compared with several plain jane line out docks I have made to go with portable amps). ALO Audio has a similar product-- a dock with line-out-- pricey for what it is but I wish I had bought one instead of the Pro-Ject. No remote.

The Wadia should be quite a lot better. I haven't heard it. They are able to get a feed straight from the iPod's internal DAC. They had to pay Apple licensing fees to get this capability, and no other company yet has it, I believe. But you should use the Wadia's digital out -> DAC -> your amp to get the benefit of the difference, so that can get pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread