Ipod dock connector question
Mar 19, 2006 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tekstyle

New Head-Fier
hello everyone. i am new and have been researching on the ipod dock connector thread for ipod cables recabling and also in the ipod linux webpages. in all, i have found a lot of very useful information with the ipod pin outs. but i have just one question.

i have connected pin 21 and 29,30 with a 1Mohm resistor (i believe that is 1000Kohm) according to the ipodlinux.org pin out diagram. this is supposed to give the ipod power down on disconnect, but it is not working... can someone help? thank you so much!!

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tekstyle
1Mohm resistor (i believe that is 1000Kohm)

Correct.1 Milion Ohm.
wink.gif

Quote:

this is supposed to give the ipod power down on disconnect, but it is not working...

Same here.
I replaced the 1k resistor on the original dock with 1M,
all it does is put the ipod to "pause" if you shut off the power while playing.

Not what is advertised on ipodlinux.
But as the ipod will shut off when it's not playing anything for a minute or so, it get's you there in the end.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 12
am i not supposed to use a Brown, Black, Green, Gold resistor? this is the resistance i am using and it still doesnt work. i mean, when i unplug it, it doesnt even pause the player.

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Sorry, I'm no good with these color-codes, I just use my meter...
wink.gif

But lets see, four rings means it's a carbon resistor, and google tells me...

Yeah, 1M 5% tolerance.
So that's probably not your problem.
All that I can think of is: Double and triple check that you've got the correct pins and that there are no solder-bridges or cold joints.

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BavariaBarbarian
Sorry, I'm no good with these color-codes, I just use my meter...
wink.gif

But lets see, four rings means it's a carbon resistor, and google tells me...

Yeah, 1M 5% tolerance.
So that's probably not your problem.
All that I can think of is: Double and triple check that you've got the correct pins and that there are no solder-bridges or cold joints.

i just openned it up again and noticed that the gold band is facing pin 21.maybe there's a polarity issue. i'll go ahead and switch it aroung. hopefully this solves the problem
rwl3ww.jpg

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

i just openned it up again and noticed that the gold band is facing pin 21.maybe there's a polarity issue. i'll go ahead and switch it aroung. hopefully this solves the problem

Resistors have no polarity so turning it won't make any change. But you should ground pin 11 (as numbered by ipodlinux) as well to get accessory detect to work.

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 12
Interesting!
I always thought that all grounds (USB, FW, serial and A/V) are connected inside the ipod.

But there seems to be a trace on the apple dock, grounding pin 11... could have noticed that earlier.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BavariaBarbarian
Interesting!
I always thought that all grounds (USB, FW, serial and A/V) are connected inside the ipod.

But there seems to be a trace on the apple dock, grounding pin 11... could have noticed that earlier.
biggrin.gif

Pin 11 (as numbered by iPodLinux) is incorrectly documented as serial ground I think. It should be documented as Accessory Detect I/O. I think it is the simple fact that it is close the serial I/O pins and that it is usually grounded in applications, that made them believe it was serial ground.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Just in case you didn't know, the resistor causes the iPod to pause (and eventually turn off) after power has been removed from the dock connector. The dock connector (and resistor) must remain in place for this to happen.

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 12
tested wtih music, it will pause upon disconnect. works like a charm :). doesnt not work with videos which was what i was having problems with. confirmed that this is not a defect because my monster FM transmitter does the same thing too.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ridax
Resistors have no polarity so turning it won't make any change. But you should ground pin 11 (as numbered by ipodlinux) as well to get accessory detect to work.

does that mean i have to run a ground over to pin 11 through the resistor or directed from pin 21 or pins 29, 30.

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

does that mean i have to run a ground over to pin 11 through the resistor or directed from pin 21 or pins 29, 30.

Directly to a ground pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back