iPod > Cryo Dock > ??? > Shure E500
Mar 6, 2007 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

nothingman

Head-Fier
I've got an iPod and a set of Shure E500s that I like very much. I've just sold my BitHead and need a new amp. As far as interconnect goes, I've fallen for the ALO cryo dock, I can't believe I can justify the price, but that's lust for you.

Now, I need an amp. I listen to everything. I spend as much of my time with classical and old Sinatra as I do with cutting edge produced rock, lo-fi punk, and my all time fav, the Dead.

What I'm looking for is synergy, which my E500 and BitHead combination was lacking. I'm looking for a sense of impact, punch, and just overall lush presence. I want things to jump out at me. That, and a silent background. What's the magic missing piece?

I'd really have a hard time spending more than $250, new or used, so let's keep this in the amateur range. Standards like the GoVibe V6, upcoming Headphonia, and (a used) Tomahawk are all in the running. Xin's are out due to wait time and lack of responsive cust service.

Does anyone have a vote? I don't need lengthy justification, just a quick note what you'd pick in this situation and for what quality. Thanks!

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 50
E500 and ALO = Tomahawk, that was easy. Just do it, you will save yourself money because you will sell the cheaper alternative in a month and end up buying the Tomahawk anyway.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 50
I just got my Tomahawk today and I can definitely hear the difference and it is better in my rookie opinion. I have been reading these forums for quite a while before I decided to buy a tomahawk. My thoughts were initially, why would I want to spend $300+ on an amp, $50 for the bling bling dock just to make it sound a little better on my Ipod and Super.fi 5's. And then on the flip side, I could spend $25-$50 on a different amp that might suck, or it might not. From reading the forums and all the reviews I could find on the Tomahawk that I have seen, I decided to drop the cash and get one, so far I am glad I did and I have only listened to it for maybe an hour since I unpacked it.

My 2 cents...

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 50
Hornet. If not, then Tomahawk.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 50
A Xin SuperMicro IV might be worth considering. Look for a review of multiple amps by mararryo and vorlon1.

I will be trying the SMIV with a 1st generation iPod Nano 4gb with one of Ken's cryo mini docks.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 50
another vote for supermicro. cheaper and supposedly better than the tomahawk.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 50
Of all portable amp reputations, the SuperMicro-IV has me thinking "I'll believe it when I hear it" more than any other. I have a really hard time believing that tiny clear plastic gizmo is really capable of better sound than a larger, more expensive amp like the Tomahawk or Headphonia.

Does anyone have a clear read on what the wait times are these days for a SuperMicro-IV?

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 50
approximately 3 months... yeah, the wait is long! you might not want to wait that long. speaking from experience, i would first place an order with your credit card for a supermicro (xin doesn't charge your credit card until he's ready to ship the amp). then place an order for the tomahawk/hornet and use it for the next 3 months. before you know it, the supermicro arrives and you can do a comparison to what you like and sell one of the amps. the resell value of both amps here on head-fi is really good. i'm sure you can easily get 90% of the original value back provided that it is in good condition....

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E500 and ALO = Tomahawk, that was easy. Just do it, you will save yourself money because you will sell the cheaper alternative in a month and end up buying the Tomahawk anyway.

x+1. The TH was basically made for the E500, and the combo sounds terrific. Combine that great sound with the massive batter life and tiny size, and you have a match made in heaven.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
approximately 3 months... yeah, the wait is long! you might not want to wait that long. speaking from experience, i would first place an order with your credit card for a supermicro (xin doesn't charge your credit card until he's ready to ship the amp). then place an order for the tomahawk/hornet and use it for the next 3 months. before you know it, the supermicro arrives and you can do a comparison to what you like and sell one of the amps. the resell value of both amps here on head-fi is really good. i'm sure you can easily get 90% of the original value back provided that it is in good condition....

Not a bad little forumula you have there, aluren. I'll definitely consider that.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x+1. The TH was basically made for the E500, and the combo sounds terrific. Combine that great sound with the massive batter life and tiny size, and you have a match made in heaven.

That's a big endorsement coming from someone like yourself who has auditioned more portable amps than I could ever consider. I appreciate your input on this.

Of course, that doesn't mean I have ruled out the Tomahawk / SuperMicro double order idea
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a big endorsement coming from someone like yourself who has auditioned more portable amps than I could ever consider. I appreciate your input on this.

Of course, that doesn't mean I have ruled out the Tomahawk / SuperMicro double order idea
wink.gif

And the double order idea is indeed a good one. Trying stuff out is what leads to better long-term satisfaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back