IPOD Classic SQ vs Sansa Clip SQ (Clips winning!)
Feb 3, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #31 of 46

WalkGood

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I didn't, I gave it to my sis actually and replaced it with another clip which doesn't have the battery issue and btw sounds pretty glorous teamed up with my tomahawk and shure se530, but I am going to give it a listen soon with the ety's

I am not sure what firmware my new clip is running, under system it says: version V01.01.11E I am presuming thats the firmware version?

I will check out what it says on my sisters clip.

Cheers for the possible fix though

Yes, V01.01.11E is the fw version currently loaded on your clip. The newest release for your area is FW: V01.01.20E, but for the USA it’s FW: V01.01.20A. The suffix is different per region, I'm not sure of how many regions or the differances between them, but it's minor. Mainly radio & volume, for example:
  1. A = Americas, radio, volume high
  2. E = Europe, no radio, volume normal
  3. F = France, starts after upgrade with Language selection, radio, volume normal
  4. G = Hebrew, etc. etc…
I believe there may be a few other regions/countries.

BTW, You can get a copy of the latest US fw here for a manual install, thanks to abi >> (extract and drop into the root of your player, safe disco and let it rebuild). Install at your own risk, neither head-fi, abi >> or I is responsible for any damage you may do. Download Firmware 1.01.20A

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #32 of 46

Sparky191

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, so what is the iMod for?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

true high-end performance

wink.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #33 of 46

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by muz640 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
clip1.jpg

A happy combination
smily_headphones1.gif

What kind of inter connect is that? I need a good one for my pico
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #34 of 46

muz640

Head-Fier
I got it with amp from ibasso, amazingly (as im sometimes a bit of a sceptic when it comes to cables) it does sound more detailed (brighter) than the one that came with the amp, how it compares to others i dont know as i dont have the experience with any other mini jack cable, it was $29.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #36 of 46

Dr. Mephisto

New Head-Fier
The Clip is pretty impressive for a nice little inexpensive player...

I've basically relegated it to my workout and 'bring-my-chamber-music-lit-homework-to-class' DAP as I think the real 3D image and precision to the sound, IMO make it great for string ensembles/classical.

Plus, at $30 you can afford to lose it and not freak out.

I just got a 'Classic' but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it....I just think it sounds weak and muddy in the mids as compared to the 3G I have and the Zune 80 I tested for a bit. I don't know, it's all opinion.
-w-

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #38 of 46

shigzeo

The Hiss King
well naturally it all comes down to a major thing: how you prefer it. i am sure the clip sounds great but i am unsure that it can be better than ipod with a lod and amp. it would have to beat a dedicated amp. unless the amp you are using is rubbish, how in bloody hell can a clip wit integrated circuit beat the ipod/amp combo? answer, sq preference. everyone has their own.

also, placeobo for/against either player. the clip tests very well and is a great player but i am unable to fathom it outputting a great signal to a machine. naturally it all depends on the amp. i know some amps give a big treble roll-off like headsix seems to with d2 but i am unsure how it syncs with ipod.

i would imagine that a better sort of test is just classic versus clip. some people will obviously think one is better than the other. personally, the classic is one of the best i have heard and chilled me but as i said, i am very interested to hear the clip as it might be a great tiny throw away player. for the money, it is probably the best sounding portable out there. i know it has great bass performance but i just cannot fathom it being more than sound preferences and the fact that all that comes from a cheap player that make the raves loud and raucous.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #41 of 46

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need to upgrade the clip with an amp, its perfectly good on its own

my 5G ipod has been collecting dust ever since i picked up a clip

Ditto, except...my iMod is my home source now; Clip is portable.
cool.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #43 of 46

Raphael

100+ Head-Fier
Nice impressions! I imagine you tested these both amped. I'm wondering if you can give me an opinion on the following:

1) iPod amped through LOD

vs

2) Clip unamped

The reason being that I have a Go-Vibe 5. And I'm wondering if I should ditch it.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #44 of 46

synaesthetic

Headphoneus Supremus
When other players have something as effortless to use as the click wheel, I will consider something besides an iPod.

Portable isn't all about sound quality. It's about practicality.

(I do like the Cowon D2 quite a bit though...)

Apr 11, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #45 of 46

callanish

100+ Head-Fier
Sansa clip with a pair of UE superfi's 5 sound better to me than a IPOD 5.5 30 GB and IPOD classic 80GB with the same UE's, but not as pleasant sounding and punchy when both the IPOD's are connected from a Line out dock to an IBasso T2 amp. We're talking for portable use here!

Users who are viewing this thread