Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #631 of 3,645
Quote:
I've put together another build here, sync'd with the latest Rockbox release (3.11). Latest Castor patches are already included. Other patches applied are: 
  1. 10bands_eq.2.patch
  2. ipod6g_charger-v1.patch
  3. ipod6g_max_vol_cap.patch

Thanks for this. The charging patch is what I have been looking for. 

Reversing myself:  While I don't use eq much, I do have to admit that the 10-band eq looks pretty cool and has potential for finer bass adjustments. I will play with it.

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #632 of 3,645

That patch is to prevent clipping above 6dB. There's not even need to turn the volume that loud. If you're using an external amp without a LOD, the suggested volume is around -5dB and 0dB. I can however in the future provide a separate build without that patch.

Quote:
@aroldan

Can you suggest me a way as to how to do away with the max_vol_cap patch from your build? Means I like your builds but that max_vol_cap.patch.

Will highly appreciate if you can help me on this since you seemed more knowledgeable in these..

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #633 of 3,645
Thanks aroldan, yeah I already know the purpose of this max_vol_cap.patch. But still there are some extremely quiet classical pieces that I listen to where I usually take advantage of  this +db volume limit so to speak. Will be extremely happy if you can manage the time to come out with that separate build without that patch.

Cheers!

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #636 of 3,645

Quote:
I've put together another build here, sync'd with the latest Rockbox release (3.11). Latest Castor patches are already included. Other patches applied are: 
  1. 10bands_eq.2.patch

Thank you, aroldan! Tested it for one day, seems very stable and also easy on the battery to me.
But I don't really get what the 'ipod6g_charger-v1.patch' is doing or should be doing. If I connect to charger it still thinks it's connected to USB.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #638 of 3,645
Quote:
  1. 10bands_eq.2.patch

Thank you, aroldan! Tested it for one day, seems very stable and also easy on the battery to me.
But I don't really get what the 'ipod6g_charger-v1.patch' is doing or should be doing. If I connect to charger it still thinks it's connected to USB.

X3

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #640 of 3,645
thank you guys for this!

i just switched last night and spent an hour playing with the EQ! 
devil_face.gif

but even without EQ i can tell it sounds better...frequency response seems to be the same, but there's soundstage and clarity, and no harshness.

i was only wondering if the thing charges automatically when plugged in to USB or what because i cant tell and today i listened to it for about 3 hrs and the battery was almost gone [from about 2/3 last nite] so i started thinking maybe it didnt charge at all yesterday when it was plugged in 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #641 of 3,645
It should charge automatically, but if you plug it into a power-only source, like a wall adapter, you might not have it charging. It only jumps into automatic disk mode when it sees a data connection, otherwise I think it simply ignores the USB connection. Plug it in while holding the menu button iirc. That should put it into car adapter mode, where it can charge without a data signal

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #644 of 3,645

Quote:
theres no problem uploading files to it in rockbox, no ?

No need to use itunes or whatever, you just dump them MSC mode on it and then do a database refresh ?

I use Winamp to copy over compilation albums from my (originally itunes) library, since otherwise they're difficult to find.  Otherwise I just treat the Rockboxed ipod as a hard drive and drag and drop files and folders onto it.  My database issues seem to have sorted themselves out - I found out that I had turned on "Update database automatically", and "Load Database to RAM", and when I turned those off the database stopped hanging when updating.  The rockbox sound seems to me to have more of a 3D soundstage, and more bottom end and punch than the sound on my other (newer) Ipod classic.  I couldn't be happier with Rockbox, and I'm delighted that I made the switch.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #645 of 3,645
Ability to browse by the same folders that you drag and drop is one of the things that makes Rockbox special - and different from iTunes. But your music collection has to be well organised. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back