Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #541 of 3,645
Quote:
I suspect playing alac and flac it consumes a bit more then MP3 ogg and wav, no ?

Not necessarily. The decoding of MP3s uses greater power than, for example, FLAC. Disc access with FLAC however is greater. It all depends on how efficient Rockbox is doing disc spinning and caching, With the iPod Video, it got very good but it is still early days for the Classic.

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #542 of 3,645

Quote:
the thing is that classics have battery life in the 30´s and people have been reporting playtime below 10 hours with rockbox. which is weird.

I will just say that burning in a new set of headphones, with the IPOD set to play all tracks I get more than 24 hours before I even think of putting it back on the charger.  Good enough for moi.  2 yo 160 slim.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #543 of 3,645
just loaded new build, will report back about battery life soon.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #544 of 3,645
Thanks to all the folks here who has taken all the effort to provide us with the latest builds. Enjoy 
beerchug.gif
. And keep those updates rolling in.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #545 of 3,645
Hi, first time poster but long time lurker here....

Have recently rockboxed my 160gb thin classic with the build posted here and have to say it's finally made me properly love my ipod....

works well, battery life seems decent, love I can play FLACs and customise to my liking.....

Now just one little thing I'd like to change, maybe someone can help me, or I'll try to figure it out myself.... I figure it'll take some source code delving though....

If you are using line out and an amp, you really want the head out volume muted to save battery...but every time you touch the scroll wheel it changes the volume...kinda annoying....would be so cool to map that to display brightness instead...I'm always tweaking that but a pain to do through the menus

Anyone else think that would be a useful tweak? Anyone know how I'd do it?

Mike

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #546 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi, first time poster but long time lurker here....

Have recently rockboxed my 160gb thin classic with the build posted here and have to say it's finally made me properly love my ipod....

works well, battery life seems decent, love I can play FLACs and customise to my liking.....

Now just one little thing I'd like to change, maybe someone can help me, or I'll try to figure it out myself.... I figure it'll take some source code delving though....

If you are using line out and an amp, you really want the head out volume muted to save battery...but every time you touch the scroll wheel it changes the volume...kinda annoying....would be so cool to map that to display brightness instead...I'm always tweaking that but a pain to do through the menus

Anyone else think that would be a useful tweak? Anyone know how I'd do it?

Mike

I am also using an amp (Stepdance). If there is no load, I don't think that volume level makes a difference, Still, I leave it at zero as much as possible. 

As for brightness, default works for me...

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #548 of 3,645
All I ask, with gratitude, is that the full Rockbox updates also continue to be posted, i.e. with the 6dB limit patch and with just the original Rockbox EQ

I only say this because one might think from posts on here that only the side-version is being adopted by subscribers to this thread. Speaking, I believe, for the silent majority, nothing could be further from the truth.

I am loving the continuous updates. The latest is working well.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #550 of 3,645
10 band EQ works fine for me, i used that build above. Its much nicer having a 10 band EQ to play about with.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #551 of 3,645
Is there any information about the Rockbox utility being able, in the future, to support the Classic?

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #553 of 3,645

Quote:
danimoca, that is what this entire thread is about. I have Rockbox on the current Classic, i.e. 7G 160GB slim.

When I said Rockbox utility, what I mean't was this:

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #555 of 3,645
That utility probably wont get rockbox support for a LONG time. Right now rockbox basically works nearly perfectly for day to day usage, though the battery life is still somewhat of an issue and external products that require digital interface with the ipod in host or client mode wont work. The installation currently is just 3 double clicks and a drag+drop or two, at least on windows. on linux i'm fairly sure its just a ./script and a cp command.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back