Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #406 of 3,645
thanks for that.  I did find that in my searching, but thought that there might be a simpler method from what you guys had been saying in your posts.  I might give this a go once I am home since it will wipe all my tracks off!

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #407 of 3,645
Yeas, the initial install of Emcore flashes your drive unfortunately, but, once its on there, updating Rockbox builds is pretty simple.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #408 of 3,645
My thin 160gb classic puts out a treble happy(spike) sound natively through the hpo compared to the other ipods or iphones. But rockbox did not change that. Its equalizer does that for me.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #409 of 3,645
Hi,

I have a 120GB Classic, was using an old and unstable Rockbox Version: r29832M-110508. I tried to update Rockbox with one of the build you posted recently and I got the message "wrong endianness" etc.
What does it mean? Is there a way to fix it without updating EmCore? I'd like to keep my 120GB of music ...

Thank you for your help.
Houchy

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #410 of 3,645
What is your version of Emcore? You might not be able to get around losing that 120 GB. See the following link:

http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Releases/r859

"iPod Classic (thin models): Upgrading from emCORE builds before r836 will reformat the hard drive. Rockbox versions before r31455 are incompatible with the new format."

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #411 of 3,645

Quote:
JRoMan: I have had some hi definition tracks (not bought from HDTracks though) on my iPod with Rockbox and have never had issues.

Rockbox install a success! Downloaded the sample 24/96 tracks from HDTracks and they do, indeed, play fine. Just really curious what it's doing...most likely downsampling.

Put in a Apple Lossless album and for some reason it doubled the tracks...will have to look into that later.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #412 of 3,645
Good to hear! I always assumed it was simply being downsampled...

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #413 of 3,645
I'm new here and I'm a total noob when it comes to changing ipod's firmware. I have ipod classic 80 gb and I would be really grateful if someone can explain pros and cons of this new emcore version. Apart from battery drainage what are the other disadvantages?  Will I be able to watch videos on tv with ipod cable when I install this emcore. What are the main advantages of this release? 

I know that these question are probably stupid :) but it would be very helpful if someone can answer them. Thanks in advance!

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #414 of 3,645
Alright, here goes. I posted here a while ago, when I first rockbox'd my iPod Classic in April of 2011.

Now, I want to update it. I know it's the 2009 iPod Classic, and the Rockbox version is r29681, and the EmCore version is 0.2.1 r692.

It says it will wipe the hard drive if I update it, which I'm fine with, but how do I update it? I am assuming you need to use the same method for the initial rockbox and emcore install...I just...forgot how to do it...

So, if someone could point me in the direction of the instructions, I would greatly appreciate it :)

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #415 of 3,645
Well, the short of it was as follows for me:

1. I plugged my iPod in, held down menu and select to get the UMS Boot window. 
2. I saved the new .ubi file in it and unplugged the iPod safely. The software started up and flashed my drive.
3. Select the Rockbox option.

I had issues though, the Rockbox logo would come up and then just hang...the solution was to download the latest version of Rockbox for the Classic (I believe the build I posted a little ways back will work) and extract it to the root of my iPod's drive...
 ​
More information here:​
 ​
 ​
You're basically going to answer the questions but when you get here:​
 ​
 ​
You'll say Yes.​
 ​
 ​

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #417 of 3,645

Quote:
And doing this will wipe my hard drive? I just want to know if I need to back it up :)

Hello to all , new member on this amazing site
yes i does wipe out the hard drive but dont worry you can go back to apple software anytime you want, honestly all i can say that it's the best thing that ever happened to my iPod .
I got a late 2009 160gb model and i installed the latest build with the battery improved and i got only flac files and half of them Hi-Re 24/96 and all play fine.
The only negative thing if i could say is as i turn on ipod the wheel is not responding for few seconds but after that is fine, i dont know why but i does always after i boot it up for few sec menu freezes.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #418 of 3,645
it's a nice update, it was boring to have such a short battery life, downscaling and lcd turn off really improved, also I can go back pluggin the "R" earphone on my right ear :). I can't play videos but who cares, if you use Rockbox you're in for the music - now on my wish list (really hard to improve) is to have digital output, ok, recording is still missing but I can use my phone for that.
I have a 6th classic 160 GB (thick), lcd type 1, use flac and crossfeed turned on. It's hard for me to understand those who still use OF, maybe because they don't like rb themes and prefer to be slave of an apple :)

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #419 of 3,645
Awesome! Years of waiting for a high-capacity player with drag-n-drop, flac, playlists, etc. So I bought a brand new 160g classic, rockboxed it, and I'm in heaven. I a little confused by what is being called the Rockbox "latest build" - is this from the RB site? Or is everyone talking about Castor's on the Mediafire link? If its from the RB site - do I use the one from the Ipod "Color/Photo"? 

Thanks to all for the awesome contributions!

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #420 of 3,645
You can download the one the Emcore team posted here:

http://files.freemyipod.org/releases/20120102/rockbox-ipodclassic-r31516-20120102.zip

Or you can use Castor's...the upside of Castor's is that it has a patch to correct the channel configuration (the original has left and right swapped). It also has a few other tweaks. The downside is, those are just patches he recently made, so they haven't been fully tested yet. A few of us have tried them out and all seems fine...I am running the one from the mediafire link because his original version had something that toyed with the LCD settings that didn't agree with my model.

I would start with the original from the Emcore team, get everything up and running, and then replace it with Castor's one I put up on mediafire. If you are using the latest version of Emcore, its simply a matter of unzipping the file to the root directory of your iPod and replacing the Rockbox folder already in there with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back