Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Dec 5, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,436 of 3,645
Interesting. When I attempted the installation with just the zip or exe, it failed saying something about not being able to find the rockbox.zip file. So I downloaded the file referenced in your post and put it into the same directory as the other files from the installation zip. It allows the installer to proceed. I was able to confirm that the iPod now has the extracted .rockbox folder in the root of the device after the installation.

Edit: ill follow up tomorrow with screenshots relevant to what I ran into.

Did you get it to install on 2.0.5 in the end?

Haven't tried the new installer yet.  The 2.0.4 I installed with the earlier method does seem to work perfectly.  But didn't manage to get it to work with another 2.0.4...but it looks as if that one might have a failed hard drive...and it works erratically with the 240gb 2.0.4 ipod, sometimes it works, sometimes it refuses to boot.

I still have a 2.0.5 left that I might try the new method with.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #3,437 of 3,645
Hello,

Patch set 5 is available. Change log:

- disables a "safety check" which verifies that there is free
  space on the NOR, seems to not work properly, some devices also
  hang. When previous patch sets are installed on these devices,
  a single beep sounds, the iPod halts, and NOR is not written.
- modifies suspendResumeProcess() to allow normal users to suspend
  iTunesHelper.exe, on previous patch sets the suspend/resume
  was failing when the user is not Administrator (even if Rockbox
  Utiliy was launched as Administrator).
TODO:
- fix the NOR bug, probably will always be free space, but this
  check should not harm.

Builds are available here:
RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v5.exe
RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v5.zip

Please test and post if your installation has been successful or not. In case of any problems, please post a screenshot. Always provide the stock capacity and Apple firmware version of your iPod, so we can help you solve the issues.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,438 of 3,645
  Hello,

Patch set 5 is available. Change log:

- disables a "safety check" which verifies that there is free
  space on the NOR, seems to not work properly, some devices also
  hang. When previous patch sets are installed on these devices,
  a single beep sounds, the iPod halts, and NOR is not written.
- modifies suspendResumeProcess() to allow normal users to suspend
  iTunesHelper.exe, on previous patch sets the suspend/resume
  was failing when the user is not Administrator (even if Rockbox
  Utiliy was launched as Administrator).
TODO:
- fix the NOR bug, probably will always be free space, but this
  check should not harm.

Builds are available here:
RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v5.exe
RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v5.zip

Please test and post if your installation has been successful or not. In case of any problems, please post a screenshot. Always provide the stock capacity and Apple firmware version of your iPod, so we can help you solve the issues.

2.05 which was not able to complete install on the previous release (single beep and no reset)

went back today to try again (used the zip not the exe) and capture screenshots, saw this release and gave it a shot. success!

thanks for the hard work on the team putting this together! now to go play with it and see how it works. I'll follow up with experiences if there are any issues but wanted to report a successful install. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #3,441 of 3,645
You did it guys!!! Well done. All working from my end with user890104's installer version 5! :D

I can confirm that it is working on:
iPod Classic 6th Generation 80Gb thin HDD - iPod firmware 1.1.2 PC
iPod Classic 7th Generation 120Gb thin HDD - iPod firmware 2.0.1 PC
iPod Classic 7.5th Generation 160Gb thin HDD - iPod firmware 2.0.4 PC

I don't have other different iPod Classics to test it with, so this is the most testing that I can give.

If one intends to change firmwares from Rockbox to Apple Original OS or vice-versa, press and hold Menu+Select to reset the iPod then immediately press and hold 'Select' button and in succession press and hold the right/forward button. So you would have Select+Right pressed and held (but with the 'Select' button just a fraction of a second before the right button).

I use this method of changing OSs to transfer music through the Apple original OS to avoid files corruption from the Rockbox usb drivers. So far I have not experienced a single error or Panic prompts. :D 

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #3,442 of 3,645
Trying the new rockbox utitilty, it gets as far as telling you the configuration dialog will open, then it falls over with a visual c++ runtime error ("...requested runtime to terminate in an unusual way").
[how come it works for others?  Not fair!]

Hmmm - have managed to get it to work with the 2.0.5 ipod by using the previous (more complicated) method but using the dfu file from the new method.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #3,443 of 3,645
  Trying the new rockbox utitilty, it gets as far as telling you the configuration dialog will open, then it falls over with a visual c++ runtime error ("...requested runtime to terminate in an unusual way").
[how come it works for others?  Not fair!]

Hmmm - have managed to get it to work with the 2.0.5 ipod by using the previous (more complicated) method but using the dfu file from the new method.

Hello, please post a screenshot of the error.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,444 of 3,645
Windows 7 64 bit, iPod Classic 160GB thin with 2.0.4 in iTunes.
It took me a while to realize that I needed iTunes to still be installed when running Rockbox utility. Without it, it got stuck at 60% with the error 'Could not transfer DFU imagen' and 'libusb_error_not_supported'. Having installed iTunes again it went like a charm and exactly like the video posted by user 890104. It boots way quicker than emcore did :)

The only problem I have now is that the disk always spins down when connecting to USB. That means I can't copy music to it because I can't access it at all. Forced reboot by holding Menu+Select while still plugged in also doesn't change this, unfortunately.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,445 of 3,645
  Windows 7 64 bit, iPod Classic 160GB thin with 2.0.4 in iTunes.
It took me a while to realize that I needed iTunes to still be installed when running Rockbox utility. Without it, it got stuck at 60% with the error 'Could not transfer DFU imagen' and 'libusb_error_not_supported'. Having installed iTunes again it went like a charm and exactly like the video posted by user 890104. It boots way quicker than emcore did :)

The only problem I have now is that the disk always spins down when connecting to USB. That means I can't copy music to it because I can't access it at all. Forced reboot by holding Menu+Select while still plugged in also doesn't change this, unfortunately.

Use Apple's firmware or Apple's Disk Mode for file transfer, and Rockbox only for listening to music. Rockbox's USB driver still has some issues on Windows, but it should work fine on Linux.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #3,449 of 3,645
I used the tutorial that someone has written some days ago and with the trick that user890104 said (close all apples services), it worked like a charm. The database I use is 150620. I really like this one. But with this bootloader, my battery is drainning a little too fast than the other bootloader (old emcore)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back