Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #3,196 of 3,645

Wait, this build for the iPod Classic (6G) actually works on your iPod Video (5.5G)? Wow, didn't expect that! Anyway, it's better to use the specific port for the iPod Video:

iPod Video Development build
iPod Video Stable 3.13
Completely delete any existing Rockbox folder on your iPod and place one of these builds.

So yeah, this topic is about the iPod Classic Rockbox port :wink:

I know that this is the classic thread, but i didn't found a 5.5 rockbox thread, so i asked here for support.. and i have installed the 5.5 version in the OSOS of the ipod, so i think i have to reflash with ipodpatcher every time i update, i don't think drag&drop will work.

No, he probably just doesn't realize what device he actually has.

Don't delete the folder, just drag and drop on top of it.  

lol i can recognize my device, i'm n00b but not that much :p i think i have to replace the folder and use ipodpatcher again, but i'll lose the config and wps? and i'm thinking about deleting the database and using only the file explorer

i'm just asking for advice here, i know that this is not 5.5 thread but maybe you had same problem as mine with rb @.@

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3,197 of 3,645

That's good to know, and I didn't mean to imply the problem is with your build.  I've always had these connection issues, including, IIRC, the "frozen in USB mode, hard reset required" problem, though that one is rare.  I'll try it out later and post back.

I don't know if I can share this but I found the emcore r968 on the emcore server.
:)

I tried it and found that there is a new feature called "Disk mode" which can access the iPod drive in emcore menu directly.

PS. I have just flashed it for few hours and don't know if there is any issue in this build because it definitely is an EXPERIMENTAL build. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #3,198 of 3,645

I don't know if I can share this but I found the emcore r968 on the emcore server.

I tried it and found that there is a new feature called "Disk mode" which can access the iPod drive in emcore menu directly.

PS. I have just flashed it for few hours and don't know if there is any issue in this build because it definitely is an EXPERIMENTAL build. 

Disk mode would be useful with those having the USB identification issue.

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #3,199 of 3,645

That's good to know, and I didn't mean to imply the problem is with your build.  I've always had these connection issues, including, IIRC, the "frozen in USB mode, hard reset required" problem, though that one is rare.  I'll try it out later and post back.

Disk Mode and Dailybuilds of rockbox doesn't work with that build atleast with my 160gb model that is.Disk mode is also present on the r919M build also on the emcore server and the only thing it lacks is the usb hid options in the included rockbox fallback image

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #3,200 of 3,645

Thanks for the tip.  I got the 2014.10.03 build installed, but of course haven't had time to test or use it.  Now I'm converting all my FLACs that were filling up the 148 GB to 320 mp3s.  It's mostly a carPod, so I doubt I'll notice.  Eventually I want to get Tarkan's mSATA adapter and a 500 GB SSD.  Once it's loaded back up, I'll try the USB identification without rebooting the PC.

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3,201 of 3,645
  Disk Mode and Dailybuilds of rockbox doesn't work with that build atleast with my 160gb model that is.Disk mode is also present on the r919M build also on the emcore server and the only thing it lacks is the usb hid options in the included rockbox fallback image

Is that you mean the r968 doesn't work with your 160gb or something else??

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #3,202 of 3,645
I'm using emcore r968 since a month ago and I haven't found any serious issues. The only thing is that the default action (Rockbox in my case) is not used. It always shows the initial menu (rockbox, disk mode, emcore console, tools).

BTW, I'm using a custom rockbox build (which I haven't shared because it contains several WIP and personal patches) and disk mode is working fine.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #3,205 of 3,645
Nowadays I am getting almost 40 hrs of battery. I used to update every new builds. As the last ones, the "load to ram" option has vanished, I installed the build version 95a4c3a-140828 on my ipod classic, it has the "load to ram" option and as I said the battery life is quite good.

Now, I am looking forward to buying a good earphone. As I live in Brazil, every good thing here is a rip off. So my next travel to USA, I will buy a shure phone around there, for sure.

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #3,206 of 3,645
I've Rockboxed my iPod Classic and it is so much better than with the original OS. No more having to use Itunes and so I can now just drag and drop.
The sound quality is much better and it has got rid of that distortion bug when playing MP3s with high gain.
Cheers to who ever works on the Rockbox OS.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,207 of 3,645
  I know that this is the classic thread, but i didn't found a 5.5 rockbox thread, so i asked here for support.. and i have installed the 5.5 version in the OSOS of the ipod, so i think i have to reflash with ipodpatcher every time i update, i don't think drag&drop will work.

lol i can recognize my device, i'm n00b but not that much :p i think i have to replace the folder and use ipodpatcher again, but i'll lose the config and wps? and i'm thinking about deleting the database and using only the file explorer

i'm just asking for advice here, i know that this is not 5.5 thread but maybe you had same problem as mine with rb @.@

http://www.head-fi.org/t/707618/rockbox-for-ipod-video-5th-5-5th-msata-ssd-mod

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #3,208 of 3,645
If I am not mistaken I am still using the 110111 build for my ipod 7g/160gb. Recently, I obtained another 7g/160gb running Apple's iOS. I am surprised that how the ipod is more responsive and power efficient than the one rockboxed. 

Is the latest RB build more power efficient? 

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #3,209 of 3,645
just wondering if someone could tell me where i get the daily builds at or other builds?  and just pull out my ipod classic 6th gen 80gb and my klipsch x10s out the other day and updated the rockbox frimware also where i could find present eq's or what not and was thinking about buying a dac again any suggestions on what kind to go for i know Fiio supports ipods and i already have a L11 adaptor for my classic for line-out use thanks :)

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #3,210 of 3,645
I just installed Rockbox on my 7th gen 160gb and I'm having some issues that hopefully someone can help me resolve!

Rockbox seems to working fine on my iPod, I can open it up and it runs smoothly.  When I plug it into my desktop it shows up under "Devices and Printers" as "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver;" however, it doesn't show up at all under My Computer so I can't open it up to drop in files. I tried updating iTunes, closing all apple related processes, and restarting the iPod while connected and nothing has worked.

I plugged the iPod into my laptop, which doesn't have iTunes, and it popped up under My Computer. I was able to open it up once, but it kept freezing and taking forever to open.  I tried to install iTunes on the laptop to get the iPod driver in hopes that it would work, but right after installing, the iPod does not show up anymore under My Computer.  

As far as I can tell, I've tried everything under the "My computer is not recognizing my Rockboxed iPod Classic!" section at the start of this thread. 

Does anyone know of any solution to this? 

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back