Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #392 of 3,645
I think it might be, though I am not particularly qualified to make definitive statements :)...I was thinking of asking Spikeh if he could compile a version without it to see if minus the patch everything works okay...I would hate to impose though. Spikeh, if it is possible, could you oblige?

Once we've seen the results of that we could possibly send Mr. Munoz our findings...I was thinking of volunteering to test the patch against my LCD 3 iPod anyway on the Rockbox Flyspray...

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #393 of 3,645
Tested Spikeh's build on my iPod (LCD type 2) and noticed the same issue you're seeing fleasbaby, so I did a quick build with only the Channel Swap patch and the progress bar was working fine.  I see  Cástor Muñoz is looking for testers so hopefully some people will volunteer :) 

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #394 of 3,645
I think I will...

Might I impose upon you to pass along a copy of your LCD-less build for me to try on mediafire/some sort of file-host? I have LCD 3...want to see if we get the same result.

I totally understand if you would rather not...

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #395 of 3,645
I'm not near my main computer, but here is a real quick build I threw together.  Haven't had a chance to test it because my ipod is in my car, but I don't have any reason to believe it won't work.  The only patch that is included is Castor Munoz's ipod6g_swap_audio_channels-v2.patch  Hope it works for you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25225660/rockbox.zip

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #396 of 3,645
Aha! Good point fleasbaby, it is certainly to do with the LCD type as you had suspected. Just checked that mine is a Type 1 which is why I'm not experiencing the issue, even though is the same model as yours. Apple must have multiple suppliers as it does.

So it's confirmed that Type 2 and 3 has problems. I'm not sure if Rockbox can generate meaningful enough debug logs for Castor Munoz to fix since he has a Type 1.

I think we should just use SenorLoco's build containing just the L-R channel swap patch, then test that to make sure it's good to get merged into the main repository as it is probably the most important feature to a usable Rockbox.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #397 of 3,645
Senor, muchas gracias...your quick 'n dirty build works a charm. I will give it a more thorough rundown at the office today to be sure, but the L-R switch is in place and the "Now Playing" screen tracks as it should. I suppose now we wait for Castor to contact us...

I dropped him an email as well last night, just in case he wasn't watching the bug-tracker and he responded this morning saying he was happy to have testers and would be logging in when he got a chance.

I told him the L-R patch alone made him a much revered and loved fellow...:).

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #398 of 3,645
PS: Yes, I know, I do need to man up and figure out how to compile a build and apply a patch :).

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #399 of 3,645
Hi Senor and Spikeh,

Castor sent me the file in the link below. I have it on mine, and so far so good...its got all the patches except for the LCD Sleep one that was causing the issues with the LCD 2 and LCD 3 players...

Feel free to test as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kp78koe5jl0whw6

Let me know if we should think about moving this discussion to emails/PMs...:) If I were a lurker I would be excited to find this build though. A disclaimer to all who do see this and download, this is not an official, stable release. If it burns your house down, causes your iPod to speak in tongues or impregnates your wife its you're on your own.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #400 of 3,645
Don't go to email. I'm interested. :wink:

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #401 of 3,645
Hoping someone in this thread can help answer this question. I've searched to no avail here and gone through most of the Rockbox site, as well.

A Rockbox'd iPod is still stuck at 16-bit/48kHz due to the hardware, correct? Will it downsample at all up to a certain bit/samplerate? I saw something mentioning that the upper sample rates (>128 kHz) may not play at all. I have an iPod 4g (photo), which has a Wolfson DAC, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm just wondering if I bought something from HDTracks, for example, if I'd be able to play it from a Rockbox'd iPod. If not, then I may as well stick with ripping to ALAC. Anywhere to buy ALAC files? I know bandcamp.com offers them and the B&W SoS site...though I don't know what bit-depth and sample rate they are encoded.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #402 of 3,645
JRoMan: I have had some hi definition tracks (not bought from HDTracks though) on my iPod with Rockbox and have never had issues. I could be wrong though (I have been known to miss a beat occasionally, ie: the whole L-R channel thing a few pages back *blush* :))

I have been using the build from the mediafire link above all morning now and have had no issues so far. Now playing screen works fine, and everything sounds delightful. For those who don't read past pages, I am on a 160GB "fat" Classic, pushing it through an LOD cable into a Fii0 E7, and listening via a pair of Grado SR60i.

The channels are set up correctly (used a specific test track to be absolutely sure...).

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #403 of 3,645

Quote:
JRoMan: I have had some hi definition tracks (not bought from HDTracks though) on my iPod with Rockbox and have never had issues. I could be wrong though (I have been known to miss a beat occasionally, ie: the whole L-R channel thing a few pages back *blush* :))

I have been using the build from the mediafire link above all morning now and have had no issues so far. Now playing screen works fine, and everything sounds delightful. For those who don't read past pages, I am on a 160GB "fat" Classic, pushing it through an LOD cable into a Fii0 E7, and listening via a pair of Grado SR60i.

The channels are set up correctly (used a specific test track to be absolutely sure...).

I agree. Its all working fine now.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #405 of 3,645
If this is the first install you have done, see here:

http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation

Looks intimidating, not so bad though...and once you have Emcore on the device updating Rockbox builds is as simple as unzipping the file to your root directory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back