iPod classic broke - need a worthy successor - PLEASE HELP!
Jul 20, 2011 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

pimpl

New Head-Fier
Hallo everyone!
First I have to say, that I love this forum and really appreciate all the help provided here. So, Thank you all!

Well, my third (!) iPod classic finally broke and I need a repalement that sounds equivalent or better.
I obviously won't buy another classic (- that would be my fourth), just to find it broken after a while again..

I use the UE Triple.fi 10 and listen to all kinds of music. I always turn the EQ off, as I want my music to sound natural and balanced.
I read that some players might have issues with the Triple.fi's, resulting in a weak bass response, respectivement a non linear frequency response. Where can I get more information on that? Which player "won't fit" my Triple.fi's and which go well with my earphones? Do the iPods have the same problem?

What I like(d) about my iPod classic is its clairity, detail and punchy bass. I used to have an iPod Color whose SQ I really did not like: the sound was very muddy and had a terrible static hiss; the bass was too weak. But the classic sounded much clearer, richer and had a much nicer bass.

For me the sound quality is by far the most important thing. So could you recommend me some really great sounding players?
(I woun't use a headphone amp..)

Thanks in advance!

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 20

Ever thought about sending it off for a quoted repair ? many ipod doctors out there, even the hard drive can be replaced.

Quote:
Hallo everyone!
First I have to say, that I love this forum and really appreciate all the help provided here. So, Thank you all!

Well, my third (!) iPod classic finally broke and I need a repalement that sounds equivalent or better.
I obviously won't buy another classic (- that would be my fourth), just to find it broken after a while again..

I use the UE Triple.fi 10 and listen to all kinds of music. I always turn the EQ off, as I want my music to sound natural and balanced.
I read that some players might have issues with the Triple.fi's, resulting in a weak bass response, respectivement a non linear frequency response. Where can I get more information on that? Which player "won't fit" my Triple.fi's and which go well with my earphones? Do the iPods have the same problem?

What I like(d) about my iPod classic is its clairity, detail and punchy bass. I used to have an iPod Color whose SQ I really did not like: the sound was very muddy and had a terrible static hiss; the bass was too weak. But the classic sounded much clearer, richer and had a much nicer bass.

For me the sound quality is by far the most important thing. So could you recommend me some really great sounding players?
(I woun't use a headphone amp..)

Thanks in advance!

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 20
Nobody complains about X7 SQ;you will not be disappointed in SQ department,anything else
possible is to much money: Cowon V5-64G plus 64G card will break your wallet

Quote:
I don't mind the storage technology.. could be a flash player, too. It's just the sound quality that matters to me.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 20
How did the ipod break? Did the hard drive stop functioning?

If you are handy with tools then you can revive the ipod by replacing the old hard drive with a compact flash card with an adapter. It becomes a solid state music player and you won't ever have to worry about mechanical drive failure. There is also additional benefits such as navigation speed increase and quicker startup.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 20
Psst - want 640GB of hard drive and the ability to play any-format-you-care-to-name for under 500 bucks ?

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 20
@estreeter:
Yay.. I already have a pc.. :wink: But its not very mobile!

@zammykoo:
I can't sync the ipod any more.. I formated the hdd several times and restored the ipod.. when i try to sync, itunes does not react any more. If I use it as an external drive and get some data on it, the data can not be read back from the ipod.
So I guess it's defenitly the hdd which is defect.

I ordered that ipod opening tool and I still have an old hdd from the previous classic - but i know how bloody difficult it is to open the classic without destroying it. I'm not sure if I can repair it, but I'm gonna try it once again.

@sashava:
The Cowons have that issues with multiple BA-Driver earphones. Notice the weak bass response:
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/x7/data.htm

I did a research and am surprised: it really seems that all new ipods have one of the - or simply THE best SQ of all mp3-players.
Especially the iphone 4 is sad to have the best SQ of any device and has no issues with high end in ears:
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/iPhone4/data.htm

So I think, if the classic is lost, I'm gonna buy the next touch..

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 20
Weak bass response? not in my ears!
you have BBE Mach3Bass and X-Bass for help.
From economical point of view your choice might be right - free i-pods!they have lucky draw for qualified posters,contact their marketing department.
cheers!

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:

@zammykoo:
I can't sync the ipod any more.. I formated the hdd several times and restored the ipod.. when i try to sync, itunes does not react any more. If I use it as an external drive and get some data on it, the data can not be read back from the ipod.
So I guess it's defenitly the hdd which is defect.

I ordered that ipod opening tool and I still have an old hdd from the previous classic - but i know how bloody difficult it is to open the classic without destroying it. I'm not sure if I can repair it, but I'm gonna try it once again.

I know you are probably getting a new player, but just for kicks if there's a way to revive it that'll be awesome.

Now, are you sure its the hard drive that's failing? I have ran into a problem while trying to repair my old 4th gen ipod but cannot restore with snow leopard's itunes. I have read somewhere that you may need an older version of itunes (maybe around the same timeframe as when the ipod is made). So if you happen to come across, or have an old mac you should try restoring from that machine. YMMV, but worth a try if you have access to the old itunes.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 20
Yeahr!! It works now!
I managed to replace the HDD with my old 80GB HDD without damaging the ipod too much. It still looks fine and works perfectly now.
(Opening process was horrible! Stupid apple..)

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 20
One day the other DAPs would thrash the iphone in its phone functionality 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back