iPod Classic + Algorhythm Solo + ALO RX mkII worth it?
Jun 15, 2011 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 110

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
I've just invested in some UM Miracle IEM's and am looking for a suitable portable setup, from what I've read this is pretty much the ideal setup for what I'm looking for, but as I'm quite new to all this, I thought I'd ask for some advice.

iPod Classic + Algorhythm Solo + ALO RX mkII

Just wanted to get some impressions from people before I dive in at ~$1000... Is it worth the money? Or are there better solutions for the same price range (or cheaper with better sound?)

I like a pretty balanced sound signature, but with a slight (very slight) emphasis on low end, I played bass in a few bands for many years, so like to highlight these end of the spectrum when listening to my music. Obviously my budget is around $1000 and I'm looking for something that is around or equally as portable as the above combination.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 110
Very interested in this topic as I'm looking to do something similar soon and like the same signature. 

EDIT: I'm looking to power the HE 500 though. lol

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 110
Quote:
Hey Guys,
I've just invested in some UM Miracle IEM's and am looking for a suitable portable setup, from what I've read this is pretty much the ideal setup for what I'm looking for, but as I'm quite new to all this, I thought I'd ask for some advice.

iPod Classic + Algorhythm Solo + ALO RX mkII

Just wanted to get some impressions from people before I dive in at ~$1000... Is it worth the money? Or are there better solutions for the same price range (or cheaper with better sound?)

I like a pretty balanced sound signature, but with a slight (very slight) emphasis on low end, I played bass in a few bands for many years, so like to highlight these end of the spectrum when listening to my music. Obviously my budget is around $1000 and I'm looking for something that is around or equally as portable as the above combination.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Hmm why did you get UM Miracle if you like a slight bump in bass?

Maybe you can use SR71B as the amp.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 110
Jun 15, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 110
I invested little bit different.

iPhone/iPod

RSA Sr-71b ($650)
ALO LOD 18awg cable ($200)
ALO 22awg balanced lcd cable ($350)

well over $1000 setup (not including DAC), to me it's not worth it.

Better to invest in non portable headphone amps such as Burson HA-D160, Apache, or tube amps etc..

Do you really need to hear a sensational music when you are outdoor ? Most of time I appreciate my lcd2 headphone in a quiet room where no one can disturb me.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 110
Oh in addition, Ray suggested to use better source than iPod when using sr-71b.

So if your main source is ipod, pretty much garbage sound into your headphone amp will produce garbage sound output.

Better fix the source first.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 110

Quote:

So if your main source is ipod, pretty much garbage sound into your headphone amp will produce garbage sound output.

I suppose Jude uses 'garbage' then.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/552014/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xv/135#post_7490978
Granted they are only transports in those rigs but I don't buy this bash Apple rubbish.
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/iPhone4Hornet/data.htm
Tests with one of Ray's products.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 110
Jun 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 110
The LOD measures better...

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 110

I think the OP is looking at using an Algorythm solo with his classic in which case it is most certainly not Garbage! In fact all this iPod bashing is nonsense as before I had the solo I just used the classic on it's own with a good quality LOD and it sounded fine, not solo great but it most certainly was not garbage like some of the flavour of the month players that folks here rave about but have to have all sorts of nonsense EQ'ing to sound half decent!

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 110
Eh. I'll be the first to say that I'm not immune to placebo effects. Could be all the Solo is, but whatever sounds best to the person listening, I suppose.

My point was more about the bashing rather than the iPod itself. I'm not sure how you can bash a hard drive (and IMO) a decent interface unless it flat out doesn't work.

Quote:
The LOD measures better...

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 110
Thanks all for your input, this is all helping me!

Quote:
Hmm why did you get UM Miracle if you like a slight bump in bass?

Maybe you can use SR71B as the amp.

This is the email from Unique Melody when I was first deciding on what to choose for my IEM's

"given what you've described as your musical preferences, I'm really comfortable recommending the Miracle"

Is that not correct?

As for the SR-71B, I was looking at this, and would definitely consider it. But now a quick few questions. (Please excuse my lack of understanding, still learning) What's the difference between the SR-71A and the SR-71B? And would I notice the difference when using this as a portable device? As I would only be using the SE input and not the balance input?

Also would it still be recommended to use the Algorhythm Solo+ and the SR-71? Or just the SR-71 by itself?

Quote:
I invested little bit different.

iPhone/iPod

RSA Sr-71b ($650)
ALO LOD 18awg cable ($200)
ALO 22awg balanced lcd cable ($350)

well over $1000 setup (not including DAC), to me it's not worth it.

Better to invest in non portable headphone amps such as Burson HA-D160, Apache, or tube amps etc..

Do you really need to hear a sensational music when you are outdoor ? Most of time I appreciate my lcd2 headphone in a quiet room where no one can disturb me.

The main reason for my purchase is I have a rather lengthy travel into work each day via train, and I listen to music the whole way in, so this was a way for me to enjoy that time a little more. While I know it will never sound like a high end desktop setup, I'd like something that is as close as I can get it without spending outrageous amounts on it. After all, I am taking all of this on public transport.
tongue.gif

I would be using a high quality LOD and I believe the cable that comes with the Miracle is of a high quality and shouldn't require replacing immediately.

Quote:
Quote:

I think the OP is looking at using an Algorythm solo with his classic in which case it is most certainly not Garbage! In fact all this iPod bashing is nonsense as before I had the solo I just used the classic on it's own with a good quality LOD and it sounded fine, not solo great but it most certainly was not garbage like some of the flavour of the month players that folks here rave about but have to have all sorts of nonsense EQ'ing to sound half decent!

As far as Sources go, I chose the iPod for that reason, as with a LOD you basically by-pass the crappy built in amp and get a pure Line-Out signal, or at least that's my understanding, and in which case the iPod is ideal as it's 160gb. If this is incorrect please tell me, but that was my understand and also the reason why I need to buy a seperate portable amp.

Would I still need to use (or notice the benefit of using) the Algorhythm Solo+ with the SR-71?

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 110
Quote:
Eh. I'll be the first to say that I'm not immune to placebo effects. Could be all the Solo is, but whatever sounds best to the person listening, I suppose.

My point was more about the bashing rather than the iPod itself. I'm not sure how you can bash a hard drive (and IMO) a decent interface unless it flat out doesn't work.

Sorry, should have quoted the right person.  I was responding to the idea SQ would be garbage from the LOD but awesome from the CLAS.

I'm not up on the specs of each model because I despise the interface (a separate issue...) but from the measurements I've seen most of the new iStuff has quite respectable performance.  Their biggest flaw is that most of them except for the newer iPhones (I think) have too much output impedance which can mess up the FR of BA IEMs and necessitates the use of a separate amp for even the most efficient of them.  I've read that the next Touch is supposed to fix that issue as well as add a 24bit DAC.

None of this says you can't like the CLAS better, but it does show that there is little objective basis for praising it while calling the LOD garbage.  Based on the numbers I've seen, the most you can claim for the CLAS is that its different.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 110
Thanks all for your input, this is all helping me!

This is the email from Unique Melody when I was first deciding on what to choose for my IEM's

"given what you've described as your musical preferences, I'm really comfortable recommending the Miracle"

Is that not correct?

As for the SR-71B, I was looking at this, and would definitely consider it. But now a quick few questions. (Please excuse my lack of understanding, still learning) What's the difference between the SR-71A and the SR-71B? And would I notice the difference when using this as a portable device? As I would only be using the SE input and not the balance input?

Also would it still be recommended to use the Algorhythm Solo+ and the SR-71? Or just the SR-71 by itself?

The main reason for my purchase is I have a rather lengthy travel into work each day via train, and I listen to music the whole way in, so this was a way for me to enjoy that time a little more. While I know it will never sound like a high end desktop setup, I'd like something that is as close as I can get it without spending outrageous amounts on it. After all, I am taking all of this on public transport.
tongue.gif

I would be using a high quality LOD and I believe the cable that comes with the Miracle is of a high quality and shouldn't require replacing immediately.

As far as Sources go, I chose the iPod for that reason, as with a LOD you basically by-pass the crappy built in amp and get a pure Line-Out signal, or at least that's my understanding, and in which case the iPod is ideal as it's 160gb. If this is incorrect please tell me, but that was my understand and also the reason why I need to buy a seperate portable amp.

Would I still need to use (or notice the benefit of using) the Algorhythm Solo+ with the SR-71?

You are correct in that the LOD bypasses the amp but you are still leaving the iPod to do the digital work. A lot of folks here hate and Loath the iPod. I have to say now having the solo whilst it makes a huge difference I never felt I lacked musical enjoyment with just the classic. I found that people here compare the classic sans EQ with EQ'd devices of other brands. I heard several cowons non eq'd and did not find the sound better than the ipod but that was just my finding and goes against a lot of folks idea here!

I have to say though that if you can afford to get the solo at the same time I would very much recommend to as it brings so much to the listening experience.
Evolvement, emotionally to the music, clarity, detail and what Naim called pace rhythm and timing. I use mine in combination with Stepdance amp with external 15v battery and Audeze LCD 2's for home and Etymotic ER4S's for out and about and the sound is not like a portable sound but more like a home based system.

I am seriously considering the new Triad L3 as an amp, not because the Stepdance is lacking but more I would like to get every last ounce out of the great source and phones and still keep it portable (and yes, it is portable to the younger members here. I am old enough to remember having to carry a brick of a tape player and tapes around with me years ago and thought that was portable!)

Apparently the new RX is a great amp and of course has been designed to work well with the solo so that would be a good choice as well.
Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back