iPod beat computer set up
Jul 14, 2005 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nicknameless

100+ Head-Fier
I think I need a new sound card. I am plugging in my E2cs to my speaker port on the x-530s that are hooked up to my 2 ZS and the iPod beats it in clairty. By far. What is a good $100-$200 sound card? What names should I look for? Thanks.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 7
E-Mu 0404 or 1212m are good sound cards. You'd need a lot of adapters to run your E2s from them, though, without an amp. You would probably thus want to spend some money on a, say, CMoy or equivalent to go with the soundcard.

Some of the M-Audio are supposed to be nice, especially the newer AP192 (I think that's it). They also, I believe, have some form of built-in headphone amp, if that matters.

You could also consider an AV710 for ~ $25, and then with the remaining money pick up a Pimeta.

Anyways, just to note, if you do get a new soundcard, you DON'T want to plug your headphones into the speakers still. That's just going to degrade the sound; they're not precisely high quality. You'd be better off just plugging the things straight into your soundcard then through your speakers, whether or not you get a new soundcard.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Well I do know that I am just too lazy to hook it up to the back. I am very confused with all of this. I am new to this stuff. I guess the first thing I should look for is an AMP. What is a good cheap headphone amp. I am looking at around $100. This is to go with my E2cs.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknameless
I think I need a new sound card. I am plugging in my E2cs to my speaker port on the x-530s that are hooked up to my 2 ZS and the iPod beats it in clairty. By far. What is a good $100-$200 sound card? What names should I look for? Thanks.

Actually, you could have been hearing the nasty sound signature from the X-530's so-called "headphone out". You see, powered computer/multimedia speakers are notorious for having terrible-quality headphone outs.

Or, did you really plug in youe E2C's directly into your A2 ZS?

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 7
the rev 5.1 has a dedicated headphone out, with enough power for your cans. If you can't stand plugging into the back of your computer, get an extension cable (NOT a dollar store one) and run it from the back headphone out to wherever on your desk you would like to plug into. Simplest way without messing around with amps and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back