ipod as a source.
Mar 23, 2006 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

haibane

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, I am looking at using an ipod as a source. I'd like to get a dvd player, pre-amp, and amp also in order to make this as hifi as possible. I would like to limit each unit to about 1200 a piece, but if possible less. Any recommendations will be helpful. Thanks.

Edit: forgot to mention ipod is running rockbox

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by haibane
Basically, I am looking at using an ipod as a source. I'd like to get a dvd player, pre-amp, and amp also in order to make this as hifi as possible. I would like to limit each unit to about 1200 a piece, but if possible less. Any recommendations will be helpful. Thanks.

Edit: forgot to mention ipod is running rockbox

Is this a portable setup?

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Is this a portable setup?

No this is the home theater setup, I will just be using the ipod(rockbox) running .flac as my main music source, however I would like some input on a dvd player for video source. A pre-amp to hook it all up to. A amplifier to power a pair of 4 ohm 140 watt towers

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
$1200 each? Wow...the sky's the limit.

Not really a sky is the limit, so much as I plan on saving up and budgeting fairly for each piece

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 11
You can also mod you i-pod with Red Wine Audio and make it I-Mod.

I havent listened it personally, but for $200 you are supposed to get very good quality audio signals from I-Pod, which you can plug it to your favorite amp.

Check their site.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5Kurt

I havent listened it personally, but for $200 you are supposed to get very good quality audio signals from I-Pod, which you can plug it to your favorite amp.

Check their site.

I guess I should say I have a 5th gen ipod.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5Kurt

Check their site.

Know of any place to get teh 5g modded?

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 11
I run my stock 5G into a Denon stereo receiver with a Nyko Stereo Link, they can be found for around $10 if you shop around. I haven't compared it to anything, but it sounds fine for casual listening. Only thing is the line output is quite low, noticably below that of a typical CD player, so it helps to have either a lot of headroom on your amp or really efficient speakers.

For $10 (or even $24 or $40 for a TurboDock II or Apple Universal Dock) it's worth a try to see if it will meet your needs before going the mod route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back