ipod alternative
Sep 19, 2006 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DKMaester

New Head-Fier
I askes which ipod sounded better and the shuffle won by far. Now I'm wodering if there is an non-ipod mp3 player that can equal or surpass the quality of the shuffle and have more space yet is under $150 or maybe a tittle higher. I have to go now since I have a class in 10 minutes but I'll check in when i get home.

Thx in advance.

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle
Flash or hard-drive? How much space? I would check out the iAudio line for flash up to 2GB. They sound great and are within budget.

Whats the difference between the two?

Sep 19, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

some real good deals over at itunes. Refurbished ipods. I think the 30g is $179 and the 2g nano is $99

Reading comprehension is your friend
smily_headphones1.gif

The title of the thread was ipod alternative, which means something other than an ipod.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKMaester
Whats the difference between the two?

Flash players use solid-state memory like in those little thumb drives/USB keychains everyone has. They are smaller, lighter, and sometimes take standard AA or AAA batteries. Hard-drive players use little hard drives. Hard drive players offer more capacity, but need more battery power and have moving parts that can fail, especially if they are used in a dynamic environment (ie running). The Shuffle is a flash player.

Choose based on application. I have a flash player because I use it to work out. It is light and small and I don't mind switching out the music on it.

If you want to use something for commuting on the train, or to plug into your car, or at work, you'd probably want a hard drive player so you can keep all your music on it. However, getting one for under $150 could be tougher.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
smily_headphones1.gif

The title of the thread was ipod alternative, which means something other than an ipod.
rolleyes.gif

Yes I can read. Thank You.

I figured it was worth mentioning the really good deals on the ipods though. If he's looking for more storage, it might be worth giving up a little in sound quality for more storage.
Also seems that a lot of people are praising the latest rockbox/5th generation ipod combo. So it would be worth it for him to look into that. Have the people that claim the shuffle is the best heard this combo?

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Better sound quality? Go amped. There's lots of small portable amps here to choose from and the sound is unbeatable. That said, the ipod is your only alternative (save for iriver 140 which is bulkier). Budgetwise, get a refurbished 30gig, then a go vibe. That cheap combo will kick the ass of most mp3 players on shelves today. And still pocketable to boot.
basshead.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 11
you should check out iRiver U10's or clix's, therre are occasional deals that go around $160. I got a 1 gb U10 at overstock for 120- ish and it has really awesome sound quality, clearly beter than any ipod.
Also there's the Creative zen v plus which just got a price reduction that has good sound but not as good as the iRivers.
These are both flash, and just to add, flash players usually last longer on average.

Iaudio mp3 players always have good sound quality. Some newer models are the Iaudio 6 (microdrive) and Iaudio U3 (flash).

Typically brands like Creative, iRiver, iAudio, any Sony have better overall sound quality than ipod so good luck deciding.

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 11
meat01 says,
Quote:

Pithy is cute. Being on the rag is no fun for anybody.

"Now I'm wodering if there is an non-ipod mp3 player that can equal or surpass the quality of the shuffle and have more space yet is under $150 or maybe a tittle higher."

Check your reading comprehension, the answer could be No.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back