iPod 7G: 120gb only
Sep 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

Khanate

500+ Head-Fier
From live blogs it seems the 80gb is going to be expanded to 120gb and then 160gb is going to be discontinued. Can't say I'm excited to hear that at all. I wanted a 200+gb ipod personally!

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 129
I do not like this at all. 120gb is too much for some, and not enough for others. An upgrade from 80gb to 120gb is well enough, as long as the 160gb is also updated, and the price is not really much higher (and by that i mean no change). Apple will face a lot of critics. (btw, is the price same. I have no what the new price is and what the opriginal 80gb price was)

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 129
It's 249$ like the old 80gb. I had the money saved for an upgraded 160gb not an upgraded 80gb.

And also, Zune had a 30/80 line and since recently a 120gb. Now iPod doesn't have a size advantage.

I think they're losing a competitive edge with this. And basically they announced that right after they said they had like 70+% of the market. Which shows they might be too complacent with their position.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 129
Misleading title for sure: it's still a 6G iPod Classic, just a different hard drive capacity.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Misleading title for sure: it's still a 6G iPod Classic, just a different hard drive capacity.

Yeah, it's a refresh - not new gen.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, because Microsoft has launched the 120 GB Zune and has discontinued the 80 as well. Can't understand the logic.

Well for Microsoft, the step is a logical one. They are increasing their capacity, for what I beleive is the same price. And I really can not beleive that apple did 120gb just to compete with MS, as the logistics just do not make sense.

The only lack of logic I find is why 160gb has been discontinued. My reasoning is that 160gb did not sell enough, and by reducing the varieties, Apple can reduce costs by a large amount. They will most definately have lower costs, and as such, greater profits.

It is an educated gamble, presuming that the drop of potential profits from the 160gb will be made up by the higher profits, both due to the greater profit margin, and the people who will now buy 120gb due to its "better value for money".

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I really can not beleive that apple did 120gb just to compete with MS, as the logistics just do not make sense.

I didn't imply that. All I meant was that the 80 GB Zune could still have been offered at a more attractive pricepoint, since they now leave a huge gap between the 16 and the 120 touch pad models. Oh well, more storage is more desirable, I guess.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 129
Well the update on the nano and the touch are pretty major and makes a lot of sense.

The update on the classic is... not really worth talking about.

Anyhow, I'm not going to buy a new ipod with this.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by aris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't imagine somebody needing more than 160gbs for a dap.
please explain

Well if you also use the iPod as a mp3 hard drive then you save room on your computer. Lossless takes a lot more room than a 256kpbs mp3, doesn't really end up with a lot of songs if they all take 30 megs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back