Ipod 5G--No Firewire--What???
Nov 17, 2005 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rextrade

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I made an impulse purchase of the 5G ipod, plugged it into the firewire port of my powerbook, and learned that firewire doesn't work? Why the $*$^ would Apple do that. I'll probably take this thing back now, although I'm transferring 5000 songs using usb 1 now, which will probably take all night, and I'll play with it for a day or two before I finally decide.

Is firewire support something that could be fixed in a firmware update?

Nov 17, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 7
No.

It's been discussed before. I'm disappointed too, but for all but iBooks there should be a fix through adding USB 2.0 for $20-30 (either PCI or PCMCIA).

For the record my friend did the USB 1.1 thing as a temp and once he moved most of his music on the iPod he dealt with it pretty well. I don't know if I could, but evidently some can.

BTW, the Nano and Shuffle were the same way, so this is the third USB only iPod.

Nov 17, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Firewire support is physically non-existent in the 5G - the chip itself is no longer part of the design. It does say quite clearly in the specs: "Connectivity: USB through Dock connector; composite video (with AV cable, sold separately) and audio through headphone jack or line out on the iPod Universal Dock (sold separately)." I suggest you buy a USB2.0 PCMCIA adapter and keep the iPod, you'll lose that much for the restocking fee. Note that the iPod can CHARGE through a Firewire cable, but it can't connect to the computer.

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 7
bob, I didn't know that.
Which generation Ipods have firewire support for charging and syncing?
I've noticed the firewire cables went down in price at my local computer megamart, wonder if that's due to this change? (they were almost $30 then and now half that at $15)

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
Firewire support is physically non-existent in the 5G - the chip itself is no longer part of the design. It does say quite clearly in the specs: "Connectivity: USB through Dock connector; composite video (with AV cable, sold separately) and audio through headphone jack or line out on the iPod Universal Dock (sold separately)." I suggest you buy a USB2.0 PCMCIA adapter and keep the iPod, you'll lose that much for the restocking fee. Note that the iPod can CHARGE through a Firewire cable, but it can't connect to the computer.

That's what I get for not reading the specs. I let it fill up overnight (took at least 10 hours), and I think the 5G sounds great without an amp. I'll give myself another week or so to decide--I'm getting a refurbished 4G back from Apple and was going to sell it to finance the new toy, but I should listen to it one more time before I do.

Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive but decent PCMCIA USB 2 cards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back