Iphone size woes
Jul 29, 2009 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

k1ite

New Head-Fier
Hi guys this is my first post, long time lurker. I decided to bite the bullet and work my way into audiophile-land with a purchase of a yuin pk1 and a Nuforce Icon Mobile for my Iphone 3GS. I have converted some music that I have into Apple Loseless and found out just how much room they take up. I sigh looking at my 16gig Iphone and wish to carry more.

Does anyone that have an Iphone carry around a secondary machine just for music? I was thinking of doing so but felt that spending $105/month on my Iphone and just tossing it aside while I listen to music would be a waste. But i'm hitting the limit of carrying around music on my machine.

I know that around 500 songs should be enough to carry around but it would be nice to carry my entire collection (which would take up around 60-80 gigs or so).

Thanks for the help!

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 13
Do you really need your music in lossless format? For a portable setup, I highly doubt you (or really anyone for that matter, not trying to be rude) would notice a significant loss in quality if you converted your music to 320kbps or perhaps even variable mp3. I've gone the route of 320kbps because I really couldn't hear a difference between that and lossless on my iPod Touch, also 16GB, with my portable 'phones. Depending on what you listen to, you could end up approximately tripling your music selection for a minor, if even noticable, decrease in SQ.

Just a suggestion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you really need your music in lossless format? For a portable setup, I highly doubt you (or really anyone for that matter, not trying to be rude) would notice a significant loss in quality if you converted your music to 320kbps or perhaps even variable mp3. I've gone the route of 320kbps because I really couldn't hear a difference between that and lossless on my iPod Touch, also 16GB, with my portable 'phones. Depending on what you listen to, you could end up approximately tripling your music selection for a minor, if even noticable, decrease in SQ.

Just a suggestion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm I understand what you mean (that wasn't even close to being rude however but I thank you for your concern heh). I will try out your advice and see how everything works. I appreciate the help
normal_smile .gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 13
Haha if you want to take around your entire collection it would be time to upgrade (or sidegrade?) to a classic or something if you want to keep with apple.

I agree with squid. Sometimes people go a little overboard with portable set ups, but really the differences are so minute that you wouldn't even notice. I would save lossless for a crazy serious home set up or something - where you can appreciate the music more fully. I did the whole amp thing and had about 15 different players in my hey day not including different ipod generations. In the end it was just about getting the best I can and not going overboard, and still keeping the thing portable.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 13
Why are you paying $105/month for an iPhone? My contract is $60 - you should look into AT&T's less expensive options. Unless you really need all those features, you're paying way too much.

The iPhone is the only portable device I carry daily. For me, AAC is fine. I'm deeply into SACD and vinyl, but lossy is OK for music on the go. Give it a try. My philosophy is to save the good stuff for when I'm at home and can really appreciate the quality.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you paying $105/month for an iPhone? My contract is $60 - you should look into AT&T's less expensive options. Unless you really need all those features, you're paying way too much.

The iPhone is the only portable device I carry daily. For me, AAC is fine. I'm deeply into SACD and vinyl, but lossy is OK for music on the go. Give it a try. My philosophy is to save the good stuff for when I'm at home and can really appreciate the quality.

I'm looking into getting rid of the text messaging plan because the extra $20 does hurt. If you use notifications does that count as a text message?

To everyone, thanks for the prompt reply's. I shall try to encode lower and try it out when I get off work.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 13
As I see it you have three options:
* Pick and cary with you some of your favorite albums only, in Apple Lossless.
* Transcode your library to AAC/MP3 and cary the whole library with you.
* Get a second player with capacity to cary your entire Apple Lossless library.

It depends what you prefer/need. The whole library, lossless files, one player only, ...

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha if you want to take around your entire collection it would be time to upgrade (or sidegrade?) to a classic or something if you want to keep with apple.

I agree with squid. Sometimes people go a little overboard with portable set ups, but really the differences are so minute that you wouldn't even notice. I would save lossless for a crazy serious home set up or something - where you can appreciate the music more fully. I did the whole amp thing and had about 15 different players in my hey day not including different ipod generations. In the end it was just about getting the best I can and not going overboard, and still keeping the thing portable.

I've been there as well and have ended up with the iPhone 3G and music in aac 320 and that is more than good enough in transit. For the hotel room I have the iRiver+D10 combo and that is filled with a selection of my favourite cd's ripped in flac. Pair that with a Sony pcdp that also does optical to the D10 for any new cd I might pick up on the way all is fine.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 13
How much are you paying for the iPhone 3GS in the USA?! It's shocking!

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 13
The 3GS is not available in Denmark yet so don't know how that wil be marketed but the 8GB 3G is/was 1099DKK ($200) with a plan of 599 DKK ($100) a month for the first 6 months (which is the longest periode a telco can tie up a customer in Denmark) then dropping to 399DKK ($65) a month from then on. This was the only plan available and the phone was only available from one telco. The plan essentially included unlimited of every kind of usage as long as it was within the Danish borders. After 6 months the telco legally had to sim unlock the phone for free if the customer wants it and it can then be used with any plan from any telco.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 13
I use my iphone for audio pretty infrequently these days and always have another dap with me. I find 320kb aac is just fine really. I still have a coupe of albums in lossless, but only the ones that are really complex and dynamic. generally acoustic material. I do however still use it for movies and its even worse for that; but thats what playlists are for

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 13
$20 for text messaging... OUCH!

I'd use AAC for now. Should be more than enough since you're just getting started, and then as you get sucked in more to this craziness, get a separate for lossless or build a home system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back