iphone IEM suggestion
Nov 14, 2008 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

quadmaniac

Head-Fier
Hey folks!

Am posting this on behalf of a friend. He's a wannabe audiophile like I am
atsmile.gif

Ok, so here's his requirements. Could you guys please post your suggestions?

1. To be used with: iphone 2G
2. Budget: around $50-$60
3. Type preference: in-ear, then earbud, then fullsize cans
4. Decent isolation required
5. Should not require amp to drive (when paired with iphone)

Thanks in advance!

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 11
I have an Iphone 2G (at least until yesterday - don't ask...) and you have to use an adapter to run headphones on them. I bought one for 10 bucks and rans my Grado 80's on it and liked it. However, if you do that you lose the microphone capability that is inherent with the original ear buds from Apple. That may be something to consider otherwise you just have an expensive, low capacity ipod Granted, taking off the cans is not a big chore but if you're really jamming, you might not notice the ringing. BTW, I use the Big Ben bell tower which is just so musical and easy to wake up to. Hope this helps.
Tom

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 11
I would reccomend the Etymotics HF2 (if it wasn't for the fact that they are considerably over your budget) and they don't need an adaptor and are a complete stero headset with a sound not many notches belowe my beloved ER4

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 11
also the shure SE530 with iphone adapter. way over your budget. ditto fir the triple.fi 10 VI, but you can use the iphone adapter with any headphones to turn them into a headset, same with the belkin iphone mic. check them out. they go for about $30-40 then you can get whatever headphone you like and not lose the use of your phone. I use an amp most of the time so cant really use the adapter like that; I do however sometimes bring it along anyway and use it as a kind of remote for the iphone while its in my bag/pocket etc. you could definitely find a better source than the 2G though, its one of the worst sounding devices apple ever made; the 3G however is a different beast.

so to sum up; you could get the shure adapter plus soundmagic PL-30 or koss KCS75

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Etymotic ER-6i $74 at NewEgg.
I use these with the Griffin Mic adapter, With good results.
I prefer the sound and comfort of the ER-6i to my SE210s.
But the shorter cord of the Shures is nice, When coupled to the griffin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back