iPhone + BTR5 2021 + Sony WF-1000XM3 and other options
Mar 21, 2023 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alexshvd

New Head-Fier
Hi there!
I'm trying to pair them all together for a better listening experience, but I can't make it work.
For some reason my phone connected to FiiO BTR5 via Bluetooth twice! And also paired and connected with Sony WF-1000XM3. So 3 devices total. And there is no sound from earphones at all. But if I disconnect one of FiiO BTR5, I can hear sounds for a while. Because after some time my phone is connecting with the second FiiO BTR5 automatically.

So I have some questions:
  1. How to make Sony WF-1000XM3 work with iPhone + BTR5 2021?
  2. Does that make sense to use Hifiman Re400 with BTR5 2021? I can't hear any difference.
  3. Can I use BTR5 2021 with Hisence U8G TV + Audeze Mobius via Bluetooth?
  4. Can I use BTR5 2021 with PC + Audeze Mobius via Bluetooth?
Thank you in advance!

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 7
Hello. Aside from the two connections made between iphone and btr5, the question with Sony WF-1000XM3 is that the btr5 is not a bluetooth transmiter, only receiver. So you can receive signal via bluetooth, but the sound signal can only be outputed on the phone jacks. I guess that if you heard sounds on this sony, it wasn't comming from the btr5.
So question 1, I would say it's not possible to use TWS or any bluetooth headphone with btr5. You can pair btr5 over bluettoth to a transmiter like your iphone, but the signal must be wired out of btr5.

But I actually came here to ask something else: have you ever tried to plug btr5 to iphone via cable? And did it worked? I got mine btr5 2021 new last week and the only thing not working is the usb dac function over lighting to usb-c cable. It works fine on desktop and androids.

Edit: I tested with fiio's supplied lightning to usb-c cable again and it now works. It didn't at first out of box, I'm sure. Only thing I did was plugging the BTR5 into desktop to check firmware but it was already at latest and no upgrade was made.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Hello. Aside from the two connections made between iphone and btr5, the question with Sony WF-1000XM3 is that the btr5 is not a bluetooth transmiter, only receiver. So you can receive signal via bluetooth, but the sound signal can only be outputed on the phone jacks. I guess that if you heard sounds on this sony, it wasn't comming from the btr5.
So question 1, I would say it's not possible to use TWS or any bluetooth headphone with btr5. You can pair btr5 over bluettoth to a transmiter like your iphone, but the signal must be wired out of btr5.

But I actually came here to ask something else: have you ever tried to plug btr5 to iphone via cable? And did it worked? I got mine btr5 2021 new last week and the only thing not working is the usb dac function over lighting to usb-c cable. It works fine on desktop and androids.
Hello. Yes, it works with USB-C and lightning cables as well. But with MacBook M1 Pro it lagging very badly, and I can't enjoy listening to music.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi there!
I'm trying to pair them all together for a better listening experience, but I can't make it work.
For some reason my phone connected to FiiO BTR5 via Bluetooth twice! And also paired and connected with Sony WF-1000XM3. So 3 devices total. And there is no sound from earphones at all. But if I disconnect one of FiiO BTR5, I can hear sounds for a while. Because after some time my phone is connecting with the second FiiO BTR5 automatically.

So I have some questions:
  1. How to make Sony WF-1000XM3 work with iPhone + BTR5 2021?
  2. Does that make sense to use Hifiman Re400 with BTR5 2021? I can't hear any difference.
  3. Can I use BTR5 2021 with Hisence U8G TV + Audeze Mobius via Bluetooth?
  4. Can I use BTR5 2021 with PC + Audeze Mobius via Bluetooth?
Thank you in advance!

As mentioned by @pdroid , none of this will work because the BTR5 is a Bluetooth receiver, not a transmitter. It is impossible to connect a Sony WF-1000XM3 and a BTR5, or any other Bluetooth headphone to the BTR5. The BTR5 is only intended to be used with wired headphones.

You might need this:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Or a different cable. iPhones are fiddly about what data connections they'll allow. I have a couple USB-C to Lightning cables around the house, and none of them will connect to my BTR5 from my iPhone, but the the adapter above + USB-A to USB-C cable works fine

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 7
You might need this:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Or a different cable. iPhones are fiddly about what data connections they'll allow. I have a couple USB-C to Lightning cables around the house, and none of them will connect to my BTR5 from my iPhone, but the the adapter above + USB-A to USB-C cable works fine
Thanks. I saw people stating the need for cck dongles. But i bought my btr5 with included lighting to usb-c cable supposed to work out of the box. And it also doesn't work with apple’s own charging cable. I don’t think i will buy the dongle separately. Might be easier to go to android. But thanks.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks. I saw people stating the need for cck dongles. But i bought my btr5 with included lighting to usb-c cable supposed to work out of the box. And it also doesn't work with apple’s own charging cable. I don’t think i will buy the dongle separately. Might be easier to go to android. But thanks.

Weird that the included cable doesn't work, I bought mine second hand so I didn't get any included cables. Apple's charging cable doesn't work for me.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Weird that the included cable doesn't work, I bought mine second hand so I didn't get any included cables. Apple's charging cable doesn't work for me.
I thought so too. So then last night I tested it again and it worked. I'm sure it wasn't working when I first used out of the box. But now fiio's cable is the one. The only thing to me is that I hadn't tested again with provided cable after I plugged the BTR5 2021 into the desktop to check the firmware via fiio.exe. But I also must say that the device it self was already at latest firmware, so it did not upgraded anything from out the box.
I know also that every cable is different. But I really thought that Apple's own charging cable would do for this data transfer too, as it is the same cable that you can plug to a computer for data transfer. And I would much prefer for it's lenght.

tl;dr: after days of strugle, fiio's lighting to usb-c cable is the only answer. Don't know why it didn't work at first, but now it does. And it's magical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back