iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Nov 16, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #1,128 of 1,216

Do you mean that with the DAC adapter of the iPhone 7 all the iPhones sounds the same?

Every iPhone using the dongle I have tested returns the same results or results skewed so little as to be considered ADC errors.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #1,129 of 1,216

It should (atleast logically) since it is the same DAC+AMP that's integrated into the dongle regardless of the internal DAC+AMP of the host idevice. I think there are a few tests floating around comparing the subject.

Every iPhone using the dongle I have tested returns the same results or results skewed so little as to be considered ADC errors.

And do I have a better audio quality if I use the DAC Adapter of the iPhone 7 on my iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2?

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,130 of 1,216
You will if the 6 and air 2 has inferior dac than the dongle. You can check out shigzeo's technical measurements for that. I think his conclusion was the dongle was better but with some jitter which is inaudible anyway.

I get a bigger jump in sq from 5s since the 6s has already a very good dac.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #1,131 of 1,216
The main point about the dongle is that it improves audible stuff such as linearity/damping (because of its 0'3 ohms of Zout) or clipping performance with low loads. All at the expense of worsening jitter performance well outside the audible range.

At 9$...what is not to like ?

This thing turns (e.g.) a good old iPhone 5 into an awesome performer for a pair of SE846s.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #1,132 of 1,216

And do I have a better audio quality if I use the DAC Adapter of the iPhone 7 on my iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2?

I sold my iPad Air 2, so I can't say. From the iPhone 6, it is brilliant and performs the same as the iPhone 7. As long as the iPad Air 2 has a decent USB system, it should be good. I've noted problems through USB adapters on some machines. Mojo, for instance, measures FAR better through an iPhone 6 than through my iMac 2012. Are these differences audible? I can't say, but I would guess no.

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #1,133 of 1,216
This!

I know its not technically possible, but has anyone tried to make it work on Android Phones?  e.g. Android Phone --> Micro USB to Female Lightning port adapter > Headphone Dongle  :D

its a silly idea but would be a good workaround for Android handsets since only a few have decent HP outs. Even my HTC One M8 sounds dull compared to the 5s headphone out & is the only reason im sticking with an idevice for now.

If you looking for a android with absolute great out of HP try out the LG V20. I've had every iphone since the 5 and most of the droids too and this thing is the absolute king of music when it comes to phones.

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #1,134 of 1,216
If you looking for a android with absolute great out of HP try out the LG V20. I've had every iphone since the 5 and most of the droids too and this thing is the absolute king of music when it comes to phones.

Does it come with all the nasty restrictions on the HiFi Dac thing that were in place in the V10 ?

Aka only working with some apps, not allowing to choose the gain but doing on its own based on impedance...

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,135 of 1,216
 Does it come with all the nasty restrictions on the HiFi Dac thing that were in place in the V10 ?

Aka only working with some apps, not allowing to choose the gain but doing on its own based on impedance...

The dac works on every app now. But the gain restrictions are still in place. I haven't really found any of my phones it couldnt drive though.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #1,139 of 1,216
Also are there any other heaphones in the works with w1 chip? I guess apple will keep it to beats line, but what about possibility of making a cable with the chip similar to westone bt cable etc

Third-party manufacturers can use it, but I feel like an adapter/cable would be an unacceptable use as that discourages consumers from buying new headphones

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #1,140 of 1,216
One more w1 chip question. Is this the only blue tooth chip the phone uses? So (assuming w1 is improved bluetooth) does it work with non w1 headphones. I know it will work with them, or does the phone and headphone need to be w1 to rceive any of the "benefits"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back