iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Sep 24, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #826 of 881
Which present DAP has the DAC quality of IPhone 4s and has much better amp section than 4S? In lets say 500$ price bracket

Thank you guys

Not trying to be a smart arse but for $500 could you get a pair of headphones that play nicely with the 4S?

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #830 of 881
Full size: AKG Q701, previously Beyer T1 - nicr detailing but lacks musicality, LCD2 - which i didn't like for some muddy timbre, even with great amps
IEM: Phonak 112 with grey filters and sometimes black, Braiwavz ProAlpha

That's some serious headphones!
I can see why you are after more power.:wink:
You wouldn't be using the full size outside though?
I suggest you ask in the headphone forum as to what amp might drive the headphones nicely.
The 4S will be fine with the IEM's?
If you really want a DAP, the AR M2 has a very powerful amp. Possibly too powerful for the IEM's.
The M20 is more IEM oriented but I don't know if it will drive your full size properly.
I heard the M20 but it was too warm with my Noble K10's, for me. I have found that a lot of DAPs boost the lower midrange to give a warm sound.
The 4S is very clean and neutral. IMO.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #832 of 881
  why not get an amp instead?

for DAP maybe you can try ibasso dx90/80, cost around $300-400

but i'm not sure if it can power your k701 though

That's some serious headphones!
I can see why you are after more power.
wink.gif

You wouldn't be using the full size outside though?
I suggest you ask in the headphone forum as to what amp might drive the headphones nicely.
The 4S will be fine with the IEM's?
If you really want a DAP, the AR M2 has a very powerful amp. Possibly too powerful for the IEM's.
The M20 is more IEM oriented but I don't know if it will drive your full size properly.
I heard the M20 but it was too warm with my Noble K10's, for me. I have found that a lot of DAPs boost the lower midrange to give a warm sound.
The 4S is very clean and neutral. IMO.

why not get an amp instead?

for DAP maybe you can try ibasso dx90/80, cost around $300-400

but i'm not sure if it can power your k701 though

I will check these options. The full size headphones are not that necessary because I use Q701 with desktop rig. Phonaks play well with IPhone 4s but I feel like 3-4 bars more power would be great. Also the amp section in IPhone is not that great as the IPhone is as DAC alone (with LOD output)...
I see these DAPs do not support Spotify. So I think I will look for a straight amp to my IP4s :)

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #833 of 881
I will check these options. The full size headphones are not that necessary because I use Q701 with desktop rig. Phonaks play well with IPhone 4s but I feel like 3-4 bars more power would be great. Also the amp section in IPhone is not that great as the IPhone is as DAC alone (with LOD output)...
I see these DAPs do not support Spotify. So I think I will look for a straight amp to my IP4s :)

I don't quite understand what you mean by the 4S being LOD only. There are quite a few DAP's that support Spotify. AFAIK the AR do. At least, they definitely support Tidal.

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #834 of 881
I mean using IPhone as a source with fixed output (volume). This way to me it siund cery good. The added jack output spoils a bit the audio quality

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #835 of 881

the cheapest DAP that support spotify/tidal is onkyo dpx1 if i'm not wrong at $600

but for that price i would rather get a chord mojo and use the ip4s as DAP

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #836 of 881
the cheapest DAP that support spotify/tidal is onkyo dpx1 if i'm not wrong at $600

but for that price i would rather get a chord mojo and use the ip4s as DAP

There are cheaper DAPs that support Spotify.
Pioneer. XDP-100r.
I have heard the Mojo and don't believe the hype. YMMV.
Also you end up with a pain of a stack with the clunky CCK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back