iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Oct 13, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #181 of 881
  It's good to know that if you don't have any thing keeping the audio output active, like playing music with volume at least one step above zero, it will cut off the output and even my AKG won't sound the noise.

That's interesting. When I tested this, I could completely mute the output and still get various noises.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #182 of 881
Good info. I'll try those actions too, to see if I get the other noises.

So to confirm, if just listening to music and and not switching apps or envoking Siri, while diming the screen- you don't hear any noise (this includes sitting with music idle on pause but no other actions)?

Oh I was wrong that pausing the music would cut the power to the audio output. I still get buzz when pulling up Control Center or switching apps or invoking Siri when volume is muted.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #184 of 881
I'm not an EE but logically the shielding doesn't make sense to me, IF it doesn't do it with the music app paused and not making any software actions, like app switcher or surfing or whatever. If shielding is the issue, then it should do it without all those software interactions too. I could be wrong but just trying to stretch the logic out as to why it only does it when performing software interactions. At least that's what I'm reading every one is doing who hears it.

Edited my last post. So it seems like it's picking up CPU noise. Kind of like a computers USB or headphone port picking up hard drive or CPU noise.

I'm curious if this is a design issue with the A9 architecture. And more curiously if the iPad Pro will exhibit the issue. Personally, I'm guessing the new 3D Touch sensor is amplifying the CPU noise.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #185 of 881
Ftr i got the buzzing even when music was not being played. Just pulling the app switcher brought up the buzzing.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #186 of 881
Also FTR. I have realised that I am not qualified to assess the noise floor of a device.
I have moderate Tinnitus (which I had forgotten about!) which is a good deal noisier than any iPhone!
I suggest that anyone who is stuck with the 6S and hears the problem takes a moment to give thanks that their hearing is so clean.
I will unfortunately never hear the inky blackness that elfary speaks of.
Please, look after your hearing!
Apologies if I clouded the issue with my observations.

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #187 of 881
I'm curious if this is a design issue with the A9 architecture. And more curiously if the iPad Pro will exhibit the issue. Personally, I'm guessing the new 3D Touch sensor is amplifying the CPU noise.

Hmm, now we may be on to something. Will need to test force touch and my Legend.

Ftr i got the buzzing even when music was not being played. Just pulling the app switcher brought up the buzzing.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Yes, that's how I tested it. Music not playing and just using app switcher.

So ultimately no impact to critical listening, as one doesn't use the app switcher or Facebook or safari during critical listening. But casual listening while browsing social media and the internet may be impacted for some with very sensitive iems.

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #188 of 881
Another thing to consider is that in order to accomodate the new force touch sensor / sturdier aluminium build, they might have had to pack stuff closer together on the PCB. The battery is smaller as well after all. Something's gotta give, maybe in this case EMI rejection.

Then again, it's strange that both the 6S and the 6S Plus seem to exhibit this issue.

Looking at the teardown is sort of interesting. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6s+Teardown/48170

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #189 of 881
So ultimately no impact to critical listening, as one doesn't use the app switcher or Facebook or safari during critical listening.

Not quite. As I've said, with the right IEM it's possible to hear background processes from the phone even without touching it or doing anything while listening. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #190 of 881
Not quite. As I've said, with the right IEM it's possible to hear background processes from the phone even without touching it or doing anything while listening. 

Just did a round of testing at home in a completely quite environment with the Legend. I cannot hear anything unless I either use the app switcher or Facebook. In Facebook I can hear every click I make. Force touch did not cause any noises for me. The only noises I hear are either pops from app switcher or clicks in Facebook (like I have keyboard clicks turned on).

To me the pop noise seems like CPU noise but the clicks in Facebook have to be a software issue where they are not completely muted.

With the UERM and PS6, that I use on a regular basis, all of this is a non-use for me. With the Legend it might be a different story, especially over extended use.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #191 of 881
I think that the real issue (or what it's really nasty to some of us) is that we come from years of no CPU noises bleeding into any iPhone headphone port.

Hence -whether you can get away with this emi noise or not- it's a regression. And nobody expects regressions from the company that reinvented portable audio. That the regression has a pretty hefty price tag and happens on an 's' iteration add to the disappointment.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #192 of 881
@elfrey, I don't disagree with you. I'm just trying to give some perspective to our lurkers. Everything on the internet tends to be utter trash or unicorns and rainbows, especially when Apple and/or Android is involved. So while certainly a step backward in this particular aspect of iPhones, IMO it doesn't relegate it to unusable. I think it sounds great, comparable but different to my 5S, but certain user situations may make it a no go for some. I'd definitely recommend doing what you did, test for yourself at a store or buy with option to return if not satisfied, to see if the issues are relevant for each user. I'd also say there has been trend the last couple of years of more uber sensitive iems, so any noise is more an issue today than it would have been in the days of the iPhone 3 and 4.

By the way, does anyone know what is the best way to give Apple feedback on this, short of calling them? Or is calling really the only way? Maybe I'll shoot Gizmodo an email about it. That would certainly grab attention with all the opinionated shouting they do. :)

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #193 of 881
@elfrey, I don't disagree with you. I'm just trying to give some perspective to our lurkers. Everything on the internet tends to be utter trash or unicorns and rainbows, especially when Apple and/or Android is involved. So while certainly a step backward in this particular aspect of iPhones, IMO it doesn't relegate it to unusable. I think it sounds great, comparable but different to my 5S, but certain user situations may make it a no go for some. I'd definitely recommend doing what you did, test for yourself at a store or buy with option to return if not satisfied, to see if the issues are relevant for each user. I'd also say there has been trend the last couple of years of more uber sensitive iems, so any noise is more an issue today than it would have been in the days of the iPhone 3 and 4.

By the way, does anyone know what is the best way to give Apple feedback on this, short of calling them? Or is calling really the only way? Maybe I'll shoot Gizmodo an email about it. That would certainly grab attention with all the opinionated shouting they do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Disagreements are always welcome. Otherwise we'd learn nothing.

As you put it: best thing is to try before buying or buying with a trial period.

If i did not have an iPhone 6 i might try to cope with that stuff but i'm just don't feel any necessity of upgrading when iem listening is task #1 on any iPhone i own.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #194 of 881
Unfortunatley for you guys with the hyper sensitive IEMs the situation is unlikely to change. The problem that you guys face is that 99% of users will be happy with the audio quality - you only need to look at the headphones used by the majority of people on their daily commute to realise that it's only us mad people that use anything more than the earpods that the device was supplied with. Also it's likely that Apple can claim that the noise generated is within specificaton - especially as they don't publish any audio specifiactions

This is why I never buy a new iPhone until it's been at least 3-6 months on the market. The reason is that any production problems will likely have been sorted out by then. That goes for anything new on the market that I'm interested in.

It's also wise to consider that at no point has the iPhone been marketed as an audiophile device - it's a smartphone, the audio quality is a relatvely small part of what people buy into.

That said I hope that Apple takes into account what you guys have reported to them - they may make changes in the 2nd or 3rd tranche of manufacturing. Which is why I wont pick one up until next year, if at all.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #195 of 881
Unfortunatley for you guys with the hyper sensitive IEMs the situation is unlikely to change. The problem that you guys face is that 99% of users will be happy with the audio quality - you only need to look at the headphones used by the majority of people on their daily commute to realise that it's only us mad people that use anything more than the earpods that the device was supplied with. Also it's likely that Apple can claim that the noise generated is within specificaton - especially as they don't publish any audio specifiactions

This is why I never buy a new iPhone until it's been at least 3-6 months on the market. The reason is that any production problems will likely have been sorted out by then. That goes for anything new on the market that I'm interested in.

It's also wise to consider that at no point has the iPhone been marketed as an audiophile device - it's a smartphone, the audio quality is a relatvely small part of what people buy into.

That said I hope that Apple takes into account what you guys have reported to them - they may make changes in the 2nd or 3rd tranche of manufacturing. Which is why I wont pick one up until next year, if at all.

Apple is notorious for ignoring the masses and doing its own thing - knowing that the masses WILL follow blindly.  If you look at the buzzing and beeping as sound effects that Apple is providing to you free of charge, it might make it easier to swallow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back