iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Oct 11, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #121 of 881
  Maybe iPhone 6s' with Samsung chipset make a buzzing sound whereas 6s' with TMSC chipset do not?

I had a Samsung 6S, vwinter has a TSMC 6S+. Both hear the buzzing.

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #122 of 881
  Could this buzzing be caused by the chipset? It's a fact that the Samsung chipset drains more battery and heats more. Maybe iPhone 6s' with Samsung chipset make a buzzing sound whereas 6s' with TMSC chipset do not?

I have a 128 GB and 64 GB 6S in my family. Both have the Samsung A9 and both do not exhibit the problems discussed in this thread. Then again they don't heat up and have short battery life as is being reported elsewhere. I have not used my NWZ-ZX1 or NWZ-A17 since receiving the first 6S. Perhaps my gear is too pedestrian to produce the problematic noises. I use Sony XBA-H3 and XBA-Z5 IEMs along with Sony MDR-Z7 headphones or M&D MH40 headphones. With or without my PHA-2, PHA-3, or Woo WA6 amps the headphone jack on my 6Ss produce very pleasing results. Solid performance out the lightening port as well. Perhaps there are issues with models sold for specific carriers or markets. A thread tracking chipsets and regions/carriers might be interesting.

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #123 of 881
227573246e3b9808a99c28ff6a9b3d57.jpg

Yuriv has already assessed that there are espurious noises bkeeding into the headphone port.

Whether you one can hear them depends on earphones and hearing of the user.

Owning a Shure SE535 and a Westone UM Pro 50 i have no intention of upgrading from the iPhone 6.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Oct 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #124 of 881
As a simple product end user personal real world experience using a device can be of more value than someone else's efforts to demonstrate a device's lack of suitability for an application. The data provided by Yuriv certainly looks compelling. Having no formal technical background I googled some of the gear he used to produce his data. Didn't take but a few seconds to find users reporting noise being generated by one of his key components.

For just one example:

"Hi, I'm new here and I just got a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB today but I'm having noise problems with it. First of all I used to use an M-audio Delta 66 sound card along with my Fostex PM1 monitors and 1/4" TS cables and I never had any issue like this. The noise is definitely not coming from the monitors as it only happens when theyre connected to the soundcard and they were fine with my old one, also the cables worked fine with my last card."

If we are concerned with the quality of sound from a headphone jack on a portable device, using questionable test gear in a non portable manner, I wonder what is really being measured? Is the information provided useful for making a purchase decision?

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #125 of 881
People like Yuriv and Lachlan have provided us with hard data. Videos and measurements.

People that say thay 6s headphone port has no emi leakage has not provided us with nothing except the sentence: ' i don't hear anything'.

In any case i ve been here before since i have tested dozens of smartphones and have heard cpu noises lots of times and they sound exactly like Lachlan videos show.

To each his own but i don't deem iPhone 6s/6s Plus as suited for critical headphone listening. Intermitent buzzing is far more disturbing that a constant background hiss.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #126 of 881
Yuriv has already assessed that there are espurious noises bkeeding into the headphone port.

Thanks elfary, this is interesting stuff. Do you have the source link?

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #127 of 881
Lachlan has made some excellent thought provoking videos. Yuriv is new to me and I now see the hard work he does on analyzing these matters as well. He is pretty straight up on the above graphs as well. To quote him:

"The crude measurement system's self noise is probably obscuring what's really going on."

Not being able to hear something is rather crucial in dealing with audio. If you can't hear it it ought not to bother you more than, say, wavelengths of light you can't see. I say this at the risk of being brusque and disregarding many factors that lead us to buy gear normal people can't relate to.

In the end, to me, this is about ability to perceive something under a given circumstance. Very much an individual subjective thing vs much of what is discussed on line.

Great ammunition here should one need it for upgrade reasoning. I just might pull the triggers on the Shures I have been eying. Maybe someone will come out with a better phone and I will be able to enjoy the improvement.

Have you had opportunity to try a S6 and if so, how was your experience?

And thanks for your posting in this and other threads. Much for me to learn...

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #128 of 881

Thanks elfary, this is interesting stuff. Do you have the source link?

It's on headfi (science forum). Can't copy the link from tapatalk.

3ae0b262856e4c83f8710fc02a29f7e7.jpg

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #129 of 881
http://www.whathifi.com/apple/iphone-6/review

New review on iPhone 6s sound quality. Mainly better bass respond and better clarity....hell, the iPhone 6 was plenty of clarity and solution, bass was in the warmer side....and this one has even more clarity and bass respond ? Wow....iPhone 6S plus or LG V10 ?

Also another more in depth audio performance measurements and all the phone techs

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

He said it frequency respond is FLAT....even better than some dedicated Audiophile DAPs....

Low impedance load is perfectly fine!

Harmonic ...just like a tube amplifier ?

Sound quality better than some outboard DAC ?

Enjoy it

Both those reviews are for the 6. Not 6S.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #132 of 881
This buzzing on the 6S. Is it only occurring when using other functions while listening to music? How about when purely using the phone as a DAP?

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #133 of 881
This buzzing on the 6S. Is it only occurring when using other functions while listening to music? How about when purely using the phone as a DAP?

Every now and then you might still hear some buzz from some background activity on the phone. Background app refreshing, etc. Maybe if you switched to airplane mode you could eliminate most of the buzzing.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #134 of 881
At the price tag of an iPhone 6s i don't think it is an interesting product if you treasure your audio experience. Heck i'd rather be with an iPhone 4s, 5, 5s or 6.

Using an iPhone just as an iPod defeats its purpose.

BTW does iPod Touch 6 suffer from this bad shielding too?

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #135 of 881
At the price tag of an iPhone 6s i don't think it is an interesting product if you treasure your audio experience. Heck i'd rather be with an iPhone 4s, 5, 5s or 6.

Using an iPhone just as an iPod defeats its purpose.

BTW does iPod Touch 6 suffer from this bad shielding too?

Doesn't it just mean that if you want the best listening experience, don't fiddle with the phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back