iPhone 6 + portable AMP (with PC DAC feature) or DAP with PC DAC feature?
Jun 9, 2015 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sashaxxx

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. My friend owns fiio x3. I was surprised with its sound. Now I want a dap like this. Can you provide some? My budget is limited at top of 300 usd

So killing features are (beyond the SQ of course):
1. dap + usb dac. I need dac for music listening on my workplace. Internal soundcard of my notebook not the best way to enjoy the music. 
2. ALAC and AAC support. I'm on apple side. using its products for almost 7 years. So most of my library is in ALAC. Also I own iphone, and sometimes there's no need to carry both dap and phone. I want to have an option to switch between dap and iphone without any problems (that means having one file source for them).

Headphones I use - sennheiser hd 25, ath-m50 and apple earpods. Also thinking about buying sennheiser momentum in-ear. Local fiio seller offers this pair (fiio x3+momentum) with good price saving option. Most of the time I listen to dub, psy, chillout, metal, rap and funk. So may be some advice in this section too? 

UPDATE
I read more about iphone 6 as a sound source. May be there's some portable amps to use it on the go with PC DAC feature (e.g. Fiio E17)? Any advice on this side is also appreciated. 

Thanx

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 9
If you've been with Apple that long I seriously would discourage you from using anything that isn't at least a polished Android or Windows product, you'll just end up wanting to throw the device at a brick wall. For every drag-and-drop user like me who only stopped themselves from smashing their iPods out of frustration when changing content because they remembered how much they got scammed into paying for it, there are around one thousand Apple users who tried to use something else and can't understand why the hell they have to manually drag and drop, manually check file tags, manually keep their file folders neat, why other devices can't use ALAC and AAC with zero issues....

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 9

why the hell they have to manually drag and drop, manually check file tags, manually keep their file folders neat, why other devices can't use ALAC and AAC with zero issues....

Don't worry about that. Before adding something to iTunes library I check every file for missing tags. So Fiio as a dap is selected because I don't need to organize another music library and use my current iTunes library.

Also, I read more about iphone 6 as sound source. And just curious - maybe there's another option to resolve my problem, that I didn't count in. A portable amp (with usb dac function for PC like Fiio e17 e.g.) for headphones?

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 9
  Don't worry about that. Before adding something to iTunes library I check every file for missing tags. So Fiio as a dap is selected because I don't need to organize another music library and use my current iTunes library.

Also, I read more about iphone 6 as sound source. And just curious - maybe there's another option to resolve my problem, that I didn't count in. A portable amp (with usb dac function for PC like Fiio e17 e.g.) for headphones?

I'll go with a third option: iPhone6 with a sensitive/efficient IEM. The iPhone's DAC-HPamp chip measures well and the software isn't deliberately EQ-ing the sound; if you use anything that can get to 88dB to 90dB with no audible distortion then you don't need a separate amplifier.

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm a long time Apple user. Actually, I've never owned anything but and never habitually used a PC till college and getting into IT. I moved away from using my iPhone as a player do to storage constraints and bought an X3ii and couldn't be happier. Dapper is an excellent (although a little pricey IMO), well supported application that will make syncing the DAP seamless with little to no frustration of dealing with tags and file placement if your library is already in ordered. Fiio also supports ALAC and most other file formats without issues.

X3ii has more than enough power to drive the headphones you mentioned with out the need of lugging around an additional amp and also acts as a solid DAC/AMP for your Mac as well. No drivers needed, it just works.

As someone coming from a similar dilemma, I seriously suggest getting a X3ii and a decent set of IEM. Personally, I'd ditch the Momentum idea and look for a pair of Vsoinc GR07 Bass Editions. Easy to drive, sound much better IMO and in the same price range if not cheaper used.

Edit: Also, the ability to LISTEN to music without the constant beeping of text messages and email etc. is something not to take for granted. Sometimes, more than one device is the best way to go.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 9
  I'm a long time Apple user. Actually, I've never owned anything but and never habitually used a PC till college and getting into IT. I moved away from using my iPhone as a player do to storage constraints and bought an X3ii and couldn't be happier. Dapper is an excellent (although a little pricey IMO), well supported application that will make syncing the DAP seamless with little to no frustration of dealing with tags and file placement if your library is already in ordered. Fiio also supports ALAC and most other file formats without issues.

I'll have to admit this is a first for me, and quite refreshing too. Usually the posts in the Fiio (and Ibasso) DAP threads from Apple users are all just rants about how much they hate using any of them, including one that actually asked "how to put music in it." I didn't follow up since the task is simple to a Windows/Linux user, but the way I understood it was that he expected it to "sync" automatically; this, when one of main points about the X3 when it was under development basically comes down to, "yes! all I have to do is drag and drop!" (and then until now some people can't see their entire libraries when browsing by category).

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Despite the fact I'm on Apple side, my main workstation is PC. It's because of gaming) so I use foobar with asio plugin for music listening. And I know how to handle music library. Thanx for dapper link. I think there're some PC alternatives.

Also about GR07 BE. I like the reviews but I need to listen them. I think I will give them a try

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 9
Despite the fact I on Apple side, my main workstation is PC. It's because of gaming) so I use Foobar with ASIO plugin for music listening. And I know how to handle music library. Thanx for dapper link. I think they're some PC alternatives.

Also about GR07 BE. I like the reviews but I need to listen them. I think I will give them a try

Have you tried the WASAPI plugin with Foobar2000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back