iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
May 28, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,816 of 1,973
R
Hi guys.

I'm sorry if I'm asking something that have been answered a lot of times, but I don't feel like reading 123 pages of forum posts, bear with me :)

I have an iPhone 6 and it has EU volume limit!

I have an mobile soundsystem.

When I play from my iphone my soundsystem can't play as loud as when my friends play from their iPhone 5's.

It annoys me!

If I want to buy a mobile little amplifier to crank the volume a bit, which one do you prefer? My soundsystems input is mini jack or phono.

Please help a n00b, angry at EU for stupid regulations. :)

Rasmus

I used a RSA Hornet for many years with a iPod. Silent, small, and well made. Here it is with some grown up company.

May 28, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,817 of 1,973
Hi guys.

I'm sorry if I'm asking something that have been answered a lot of times, but I don't feel like reading 123 pages of forum posts, bear with me :)

When I play from my iphone my soundsystem can't play as loud as when my friends play from their iPhone 5's.

It annoys me!

If I want to buy a mobile little amplifier to crank the volume a bit, which one do you prefer? My soundsystems input is mini jack or phono.

Rasmus

Unless your car system is very high quality, I wouldn't have thought that you need anything expensive.

May 28, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #1,818 of 1,973
Hi guys.

It annoys me!

Rasmus

Are you sure you cant turn it off?

May 29, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #1,819 of 1,973
There are 2 limits enforced by the EU.

From menu you disable the 85db one, the other remains. Hence an european iPhone will never sound as loud as an european iPad.

iPads are not capped since they sell without bundled headphones rendering useless the CENELEC regulations.

I have explained this stuff dozens of times.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

May 29, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #1,820 of 1,973
To cut a long story short:

If your idevice features color coded volume squares your idevice is subject to two limits:

85dbs / 100 dbs

You can get rid from the first of the first with the EU toggle. Not from the second unless you jailbreak.

Both SPLs are calculated for bundled earpods and -10 dBFS RMS music program.

Hence with lots of headphones and high dynamic range material you might wound up with volume problems.

Non capped iPhones deliver 1 volt and EU capped ones just 0'5 (with the EU toggle off).

How do i know that?

I am lawyer and managed to track down the EU/CENELEC regulations when i got an iPhone 5 and it as quieter than my iPhone 4s (last iPhone that launched non capped in the EU).

May 29, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #1,821 of 1,973
Hm.. Mine sure does have colored squeres which would mean that it does have some kind of limiter. However i I don't believe it limits the output to as low as 0.5v with newest iOS.
The output power (volume) as it is on my 5S simply destroys the likes of Nexus 5 and that Nexus surely has more than 0.3v.

May 29, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #1,822 of 1,973
Hm.. Mine sure does have colored squeres which would mean that it does have some kind of limiter. However i I don't believe it limits the output to as low as 0.5v with newest iOS.
The output power (volume) as it is on my 5S simply destroys the likes of Nexus 5 and that Nexus surely has more than 0.3v.

You've got the defeatable limiter switched off?

May 29, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #1,823 of 1,973
I used to have a US iPhone 6 and now an EU iPhone 6s plus and to be honest I have not detected any volume differences between the two. I listen on the same volume configuration and the output power is the same to my ears. Case was not the same though with my older EU 5s which indeed presented lower volume output than my later purchased US 6. Maybe later software updates rectified this matter a bit...

May 29, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,824 of 1,973

0'3 is not uncommon for many Androids.

May 31, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,825 of 1,973
Depends what you are using it for IMO. For portable use don't underestimate how much of a PITA a stack is to cart around. I assume you are using a headphone that needs an amp? The iPhone itself sounds excellent with a nice pair of IEM's...
AFAIK the Cayin is not Apple certified so to get a true line out you will need the clunky CCK for the full masochistic audiophile experience
wink.gif

There are DIY cables out there that no longer need the apple CCK because the chip is already built-in... Lavricables has one that has the Lightning connector on one side and micro -USB on the other... Consequently with this cable I am able to output files digitally up to 192 kHz / 24 bit and even unconverted files of 384 kHz / 32 bit... Also can stream DSD natively ☺️

Provided your DAC or DAC/amp supports it of course...

I am using the fostex t40rp mk3 (power hungry closed planars) as my portable so size is not really an issue, I am always carrying a bag of some sort. As I said in my post the Cayin C5 is an amplifier without a DAC. I am considering adding an external DAC like the dragonfly red (or similar) but I am not sure whether it would be much of an upgrade to the internal DAC in my iPhone 6. Regardless it seems like I will be double amping wither way.

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,826 of 1,973
I am very pleased with my iphone6s, but with some music files would an amp, I tried with my "old" ifi nano and the sound improves.
Now you know I recommend an amplified DAC also be connected directly to the iPhone or the types arcam musicboost onkio HA200?
Thank you

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,827 of 1,973
  Hi guys.

It annoys me!

Rasmus

Buy the AudioQuest DragonFly Black or Red DAC/HPA. Its a tiny DAC, same size as a USB stick and sounds very very good, not too far behind the chord Mojo but much smaller. It also gives you much more volume. This was the main reason I bought this DAC, it gives much more headroom, also added detail. The Black retails for around £80, the Red has better internals and sells for £169.99. Both sound better than the iPhone and have much more power. Note you need to buy the apple camera connection kit (Apple CCK).  

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,828 of 1,973
Buy the AudioQuest DragonFly Black or Red DAC/HPA. Its a tiny DAC, same size as a USB stick and sounds very very good, not too far behind the chord Mojo but much smaller. It also gives you much more volume. This was the main reason I bought this DAC, it gives much more headroom, also added detail. The Black retails for around £80, the Red has better internals and sells for £169.99. Both sound better than the iPhone and have much more power. Note you need to buy the apple camera connection kit (Apple CCK).  

The Red does look like a good alternative to a stack. Do you get any interference from the phone if it is not in Airplane mode? Would the Red be too powerful for IEM's?

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,829 of 1,973
The Red does look like a good alternative to a stack. Do you get any interference from the phone if it is not in Airplane mode? Would the Red be too powerful for IEM's?

I get no interference whatsoever, contrary to the Chord Mojo I have. The Red is fine with low impedance IEM's. Even with apple ear pods they are silent. My friend echoes the same for the cheaper Black DragonFly.

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,830 of 1,973
I get no interference whatsoever, contrary to the Chord Mojo I have. The Red is fine with low impedance IEM's. Even with apple ear pods they are silent. My friend echoes the same for the cheaper Black DragonFly.

Thanks. I think I am going to have to get one of these. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back