iPhone 3G Line-Out Adapter List
Dec 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Search hasn't revealed an iPhone (and likely in most cases 2G touch) compatible line-out adapter list. If one is available please point me to it. Otherwise, I thought I'd start one here.

So far I've found:

Apple iPhone 3G Dock $29
PocketDock Line Out USB $29 (newest models only compatible)
Apple Universal Dock $49
Qables various models $47-410 (current exchange rates)

If you know of any other models currently being sold please list them.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 24
Imagine my dissapointment when i found that my custom made 5g cable cant link the new Touch to my Hornet! I may go for the Sendstation adaptor, thanks for the list
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 24
Or.. just pop the connector open and solder in a resistor and one extra wire..

ipodtouchdocksch.jpg

ipodtouchdock.jpg

This is what I shall be trying when I get my touch, if i can work out how to prise this connector open
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:

On second thoughts.. opening the LOD I have, finds this mess.. Hot glue FTL. More interesing is the tiny thin black wire connecting the fancy braided wire to the pins..

DSC00429.jpg

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 24
So.. from what I remember when making the last one, 1 2 3 & 4 are all the same but with the addition of 30 21 & 11 and a resisitor to make it work with the touch.
I dont envy you having to dig out that glue, I think I will begin again, luckily I have another dock plug, just need to find a 1k resistor, perhaps a surface mount type would be more tidy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apple iPod and iPhone dock interfaces pinout

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 24
Ive a 3g iphone, 3g nano, classic ipod 120 gigger... the hp out for each sounds diff (iphones the best of the lot) but lineout sounds quite similar.... I did notice however the 3g nano has a lot more hiss when fed to a pico via alo cryo 18 LOD and westone 3s.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 24
Thanks for the pics and pin out diagrams. I wonder if my dock alarm dab radio thingy would work with my touch 2g if i were to add the resistor and extra wire?

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 24
Yeah, I shan't be digging all that glue out. I think I'll order a few connectors and hack up a cable or two i have here and make my own.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 24
from an electronic engineering point of view - thats quite a funny picture
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:

On second thoughts.. opening the LOD I have, finds this mess.. Hot glue FTL. More interesing is the tiny thin black wire connecting the fancy braided wire to the pins..

DSC00429.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 24
yeah, to make it easier to solder a big fat braided wire to a tiny lil pin..
smily_headphones1.gif

There's actually 3 of them in there but the pic is hard to make out.

Nice braiding though.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 24
Damn, I'd forgotten how tiny these pins are to solder, I'm typing this on the Touch, I like the way it spell checks as I'm typing, as for the "which sounds better" question I agree that the Touch sounds better than my old video 5g through the headphone out but nowhere near as good as when the LOD with my Hornet, I'm looking forward to finishing the lead to compare the Touch

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 24
TouchDockConector.jpg

Done! Don't want to do that again in a hurry, thanks for the resistor tip guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back