iPaq 2215 + Super Dual + ATH-A900?
Jun 12, 2004 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KAuss

New Head-Fier
I know not too many lucky folks here have heard or auditioned the FINAL superdual... However, I'm already set on most of my hardware and the only thing missing is the amp...

I don't even need to ask if it'll make a difference... I'm the type that already KNOW I need an amp...

However, I was wondering how powerful is the Superdual? I've tested the ATH-A900 with my CD player, although it has OODLES of audible volume matched with the superb isolation of the A900... I was wondering what expectations can the Superdual pull out to match the headphone jack of my home receiver... Typical 100x5 receiver...

Obviously without contest the home receiver sounds leaps better than the CD player... There is definately a LOT of bass loss using a poor CD player out...

However, it's been said that a PDA usually have a stronger headphone out... So would I expect to come close to the home setup with a stronger source (provided it don't clip on me) and something like the Superdual?

I seriously want to buy something sure like the SR-71 but the size is seriously an issue with being portable... However, I must have good sound and like most people... I'm just wondering how the match up between a Superdual compares up to it's $350 - $500 competitiors...

I really really want to buy a Superdual, but for $179 shipped, I really don't want to end up with something that gets me 3/4 of the way there... I hate settling
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Hmm, the headphone-out on my 2210 might be loud, but it's also noisy and a bit dirty. If I compare it to my home setup, there's just no comparison at all. The Nad/Perreaux stomps on it and eats it for dinner. Loud doesn't always equal good. The 2210 wouldn't know what silence between notes is at all, and there's no headroom space to speak of.

I don't know what the superdual can do for the 2210. I'm not a fan of the ipaq as a source, so I'd say it just amplifies a crappy signal. But who knows, maybe it can add a bit of its own signature and make it a fun listen.

If you're asking if the superdaul can work with your home setup, your guess is as good as mine.

Jun 12, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Sorry, but with a pda as your source, I really would advise against spending money on an amp unless you're just looking for increased volume.

Jun 13, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm not looking for this setup to be my "best sounding" audio setup... Thats what I spend the big bucks on my home setup and car setup for
biggrin.gif

This is a setup where I can take on the road, work, just wherever... The listening situation is gonna be filled with background noise to begin with...

I can probably find someone to mod my iPaq in the future if it is extremely noisy...

With an amp, you can lower the volume on the main unit and amp the musical part of the signal and leave out the distortion... However on another thread, maybe on another forum, I've read that the distortion from the 2215 isn't linear... This is a pro and a con in sense... This means that you always HAVE a significant amount of distortion no matter what the gain is on the source, but if you raised the gain on the source you'll have ample good signal to deture the distortion, add a resistor inline and you got yourself a WHOLE lot of clean signal...

For the price / size, the Superdual is obviously choice one... Saving $40 on the initial batch would be nice too... However like some that follow Xin's work... He might have a Hyperdual comming out soon and totally blow the SD out of the water LOL...

edit: Heck if I was really worried about the sound quality, I wouldn't be getting an mp3 player
biggrin.gif
I'd have me a portable SACD player and nothing but SACD... There is just so much to gain with 4 gigs of music and 20 hours of battery life
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 6
At one point, wasn't XIN in the process of developing his own MP3 player with a built-in audiophile amp?

Jun 14, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 6
Thats probably before my time... Still I'm reluctant to spend on Xin's amp if he either

1) makes a super duper dual

2) don't provide half the quality of the $400 competition

Still, I think from buying the 159 intro price, I can release it for the same when the thing goes for 200 after the promotion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back