iPad-Fi
Apr 13, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #151 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still trying to make up my mind, i have a great macbook pro, i have the 2nd gen 32gb ipod touch, i even have an iphone 3g, is this even necessary in my case?

Depends. I have two netbooks, a MBP, a desktop replacement laptop, a desktop, a Kindle, and an Iphone. The main reasons I ordered one was manga reading and video playback, it does those two things better than my netbooks do.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #152 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still trying to make up my mind, i have a great macbook pro, i have the 2nd gen 32gb ipod touch, i even have an iphone 3g, is this even necessary in my case?

thats up for you to decide, id ask myself this question though. do you ever feel like the mbpro is too bulky for your situtation but the screen on your ipod/iphone is too small but you also wouldnt mind lugging around or having another computer with you? if you said yes, then maybe you should look in to it.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #153 of 623
The main consideration isn't size, it's battery life. A better question is, do you feel limited by having to plug in your laptop all the time? Do you have to stop using it because it runs out of juice?

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #154 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main consideration isn't size, it's battery life. A better question is, do you feel limited by having to plug in your laptop all the time? Do you have to stop using it because it runs out of juice?

thats the main consideration for you maybe. the iPad is not a laptop replacement, it's a device that is a middle ground between smartphone and a laptop. if it's all about battery life he can buy a second battery and carry that around easier than the ipad and it will be tons cheaper.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #155 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember back when a large population here on HeadFi was totally bashing the iPod, saying it was inferior, had lousy sound quality and was a product designed for "sheep". Now, they all appear to have gone out and bought their own iPods. Have they learned anything from their mistake? No. Now they make the same sort of foolish comments about the iPad.

They, being me? If it was me, then call me out on it.
I own 6 different Apple products. My sheep and cow insinuations was related to people lining up and camping out to be the first ones to have one. Sort of like when the trilogy of Star Wars made it's first movie showing.
I will probably get one when it has external connectivity.
If you are going to make a comment on someone's post, the you should quote them and not call them, "them".

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #156 of 623
I own one since last Friday and I can immediately say a few things.

1. battery life isn't as good as I thought it would be.
2. there is a slight hum with iem when nothing is playing and at quite loud volume setting.
3. there seem to be no lod for ipad.
4. I tend to prefer a slightly bigger screen. maybe 1 or 2 inches bigger would be great.
5. Video cam would have been a perfect hardware/software to allow the video conference/phone call. Maybe next round of ipad.

Other than that, it's a great device to play around.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #157 of 623
I certainly don't discount your experiences, however I must say my own have been much different. Been using it constantly since I got it Sunday and still have over half the Battery. In fact I burned it in over night with just music going and I don't think the battery ever went down. The sound is great. No hiss, perhaps slightly better than the iPhone. I have not used one but reports around here state all iPhone LODs work. Ken from AOL even started a thread to confirm.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #158 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly don't discount your experiences, however I must say my own have been much different. Been using it constantly since I got it Sunday and still have over half the Battery. In fact I burned it in over night with just music going and I don't think the battery ever went down. The sound is great. No hiss, perhaps slightly better than the iPhone. I have not used one but reports around here state all iPhone LODs work. Ken from AOL even started a thread to confirm.

That is odd. I have this on standby and it used 3% in 1 hour just being standby mode. Maybe I should replace it with another.

I didn't know about LODA. Thanks for that info.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #159 of 623
Quote:

. I have not used one but reports around here state all iPhone LODs work

Yep, I have one for my iPhone and I plugged it in and it works without a problem. However, I rarely use it for music since I mainly listen to my home systems when I am around the house. I have an Airport Express in my bedroom and I use logmein to control what is streaming from my computer in my home office. I stream it to the Express using Airfoil. I can also just use the "Remote" software (which I mainly use for the living room system).

I have had the iPad since the release date and it is exactly what I thought it would be. It is fantastic for reading USA Today/News, photography books, travel books, magazines (although the Zinio app could be better), logging into my PC using Logmein, the internet, Netflix, etc... The form factor is the reason I wanted one and I love the ability to sit on the couch, then lay down, then go into the bedroom, etc.. without ever closing it out. It does give an unbelievable amount of glare in the sun, so I am going to need some sort of case with an anti-glare screen.

The batterly life is great and another reason it is easy to take from room to room without ever worrying about plugging it in. I usually just dock it and use it as a clock when I go to bed....it has never been under 50 percent battery and I have used it A LOT.

My laptop is gathering dust.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #160 of 623
I must have a faulty one then..

I am going to go to best buy and get an exchange.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #161 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if it's all about battery life he can buy a second battery and carry that around easier than the ipad and it will be tons cheaper.

It would take three or four batteries to get my MacBook to last as long as my iPad.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #162 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They, being me? If it was me, then call me out on it.

I was talking about a large group of people, not any particular one. Camping out was silly. But there were people who argued that the iPod was evil, it's interface was designed for imbeciles, and they would never be caught dead in public holding one. Those are the ones I was referring to. They all seem to have moved on now.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #163 of 623
I think there's a good reason that there is no forward facing camera on the iPad. If there was one built in, you'd have to carefully hold the iPad at the right angle to keep your face centered. A camera on a tiny gooseneck that plugged into the dock port would be much easier to point without having to hold the iPad at an uncomfortable angle. Wanna bet well see something like that along with an iPad version of iChat in the fall?

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #164 of 623
Hey guys

I'm wanting to have a friend in florida try and get me a 16 or more likely 32gb ipad and
ship it to me here in Australia but I'm confused about sales tax so I'm wondering how much it will really cost me?

Cheers

lint

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #165 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by LintHart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys

I'm wanting to have a friend in florida try and get me a 16 or more likely 32gb ipad and
ship it to me here in Australia but I'm confused about sales tax so I'm wondering how much it will really cost me?

Cheers

lint

Depends on where he buys it. Go to apple.com/store, go through the purchase process with his address and see what it says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back