iPad 2 first impressions. Will you be getting one ?
Mar 14, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #167 of 249

Quote:
The best option would be to use the Apple Remote app on iPad to control iTunes on your Mac Mini.  This way, you can connect the Mac Mini's optical out to your StageDAC, or use a USB-to-SPDIF converter connected to the Mac Mini (e.g., Musical Fidelity V-Link).  I have the iPad 2 and currently using this method to control iTunes on my desktop computer.

If you use the iPod app on the iPad, the sound would be coming from your iPad, not Mac Mini.  With this method you would not be able to connect to your StageDAC.

Thanks for clarifying; I guess I already knew that, since I do have my Mac Mini connected to the StageDAC via optical, and then out to my two amps, etc.  I'm running the whole thing remotely now from my MacBook, using JollysFast VNC, which works great, but there is a little bit of a lag.  I've read that others are using the Apple Remote app on the iPad to do the same thing I'm doing, and also using a VNC client on the iPad when it's necessary to get a little deeper in to the mini.

Hopefully the iPad with the Apple remote app will be a little more responsive than the VNC setup I'm using now.  I've tried screen sharing, which also works, but with the same lag.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #168 of 249

Quote:
With the prices now for Apple refurbs, that's what I've done. Just picked up a 16GB wifi to try out. At under half the price of the Xoom or Samsung equivalents, it was a no-brainer.

That's what i am planning on doing, refrubs prices of the ipad will come down quite a lot after refurbs of the ipad2 start showing up.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #169 of 249
Quote:
Hopefully the iPad with the Apple remote app will be a little more responsive than the VNC setup I'm using now.  I've tried screen sharing, which also works, but with the same lag.

I don't notice any lab using the Remote app.  It's controlling the iTunes on my Windows 7 (64-bit) desktop computer.  If there's no problem controlling iTunes on Windows computer, I don't think there would be any problem controlling iTunes on a Mac.  Have fun with your new toy.  By the way, the album artwork looks amazing on the iPad in portrait mode.  Also much easier to browse the music collection with touch screen. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #170 of 249
I will never use my own money to buy one of these until they make one that can run Flash right of of the box.  I mean come on, seriously?

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #171 of 249
Flash is a battery hog and is mostly used to serve irritating animated ads. Not having it is a good thing.

When you're on 3G, you have to pay for bandwidth. Having Flash would increase the cost of use for ads I don't want to see anyway.

Even if Flash was available, I'd turn it off. I suppress Flash on my laptop and desktop, too. That cuts back on the crap and it's a rare day when I enable Flash to see a website.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #172 of 249

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkyballz

I will never use my own money to buy one of these until they make one that can run Flash right of of the box. I mean come on, seriously?

May I ask why you'd want Flash so that I may answer your arguments, please?

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #173 of 249

"May I ask why you'd want Flash so that I may answer your arguments, please?"

Do you want to answer his arguments, or do you want to argue his answers?

tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #174 of 249
Flash is also for a way to harvest a user's data even if they have javascript, cookies and ads blocked 
eek.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #175 of 249
"May I ask why you'd want Flash so that I may answer your arguments, please?" Do you want to answer his arguments, or do you want to argue his answers? :p

Both?

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #176 of 249

Quote:
Quote:
I don't notice any lab using the Remote app.  It's controlling the iTunes on my Windows 7 (64-bit) desktop computer.  If there's no problem controlling iTunes on Windows computer, I don't think there would be any problem controlling iTunes on a Mac.  Have fun with your new toy.  By the way, the album artwork looks amazing on the iPad in portrait mode.  Also much easier to browse the music collection with touch screen. 

That's what I've been waiting to hear; thanks for the info.  

On another note, I didn't know that the first new iPad 2s were shipping directly from China.  My FedEx tracking shows my package leaving China, and stopping so far at Hong Kong, and Anchorage, Alaska, on its way to me here in Upper Michigan.  I should have it on Thursday.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #177 of 249
I got to have a good long play with the new iPad today!

It certainly is smaller! However I am glad I got the 1st gen one in January. For me it feels too small and I just do not like the case arrangement. Sure, it looks great and the idea behind it I understand.But for me, for everyday practical use it would soon annoy me.

For a start, no back protection. I know a lot of folks don't care about scratches but I do, you would think they would include a clear case back film to protect it! I also have not use for a camera on the back, I mean, come on. Who,on a regular basis is going to hold this thing up to take pictures, if you do then great, if not, well it is all but useless. Face time is something I have no need for either and I am not a huge gamer so the faster processor is moot to me as well.

I remember when my friends got the first gen one last year, I was so excited to see it, this time it just left me cold. Because of the camera there will be little option other than the flappy screen protector which they seem to have made from the same stupid material they made the original case from which attracts dust and finger prints all the time, the one I got to try had a powder blue case, absolute crazy, my friend picked it up on launch day and the case is already filthy!

Overall, not impressed, I would say that if you own the first gen one, are not a gamer and have no use for a camera then stick with it. If I did not own the first gen one I would still get it over the second gen one especially as they are discounting it.

I use my iPad as a work tool. I use the excellent glass keypad all the time and can bang out thousand word assignments with ease. I have Yoobao case that is slim but at the same time protects the ipad wonderfully and also gives me the perfect angle to write. The new iPad feels more like a fashionista accessory to me, sometimes small or thinner is not such a good thing, for those who just want to use it to surf the net then I guess it would be a fun thing though.

As a work tool that is an alternative to carrying around a bulky lap top though the new one feels less practical. If they had left the back camera out and instead put 128g of memory  and kept it at the size of the first gen I would have been a lot more enthusiastic. As it is it looks like they thought of the lifestyle people who they use for advertising as their audience rather than folks like me use it as a work tool!

Just my thoughts, if you like it and are happy, what they hey, good for you!

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #178 of 249
i think it should be left upon user to use or to not use flash. Every one has different prefrences, it should be consumer decision to choose between flash or battery life,not someone controlling my decisions.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #179 of 249
'Should' really doesn't apply in this case. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy an iPad. If you want Flash that badly, buy something else. If you want a user-replaceable battery that takes up more room (do any of the rival devices offer better battery life?), buy something else. You don't like Apple's hardware/software choices, or business strategy.... yep...Buy. From. Someone. Else.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #180 of 249
^ ok, it means someone who do not own or want to own ipad, should not even talk about it. Brilliant. I always like UI of apple products. But it seems that we are not allowed to talk constructivly about any product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back