iPad 2 first impressions. Will you be getting one ?
Mar 10, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #136 of 249

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/photos/ipad-2-review-hands-on/#3960567

Recessed headphone jack?

Hard to tell for sure but I guess my ES5s wouldn't be compatible.  Maybe they could sell me an adapter at the Genius bar?  
wink_face.gif
etysmile.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #138 of 249

Quote:
I think I read that it's at a slight angle, which makes it look recessed.

I assumed it might be like the old touch which should be fine.  Otherwise would just be insane.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #141 of 249

Quote:
I assumed it might be like the old touch which should be fine.  Otherwise would just be insane.

I think after getting years of getting battered by requests for a non-recessed jack, they're not going to go back. Still can't get over how thin it is. The weight is hard to shave as most of it is the battery.

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #142 of 249
I just checked out my local Walmart. They said they only received one unit which was sold to the guy in front of me. :frowning2:

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #144 of 249
ifixit crew cracked open the ipad 2 and confirm theres no wolfson dac :frowning2:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/KjEnYiJxkqS2SKuI

Apple-branded 338S0940 A0BZ1101 SGP. This looks like the Cirrus audio codec Chipworks found in the Verizon iPhone

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #145 of 249

Quote:
ifixit crew cracked open the ipad 2 and confirm theres no wolfson dac :frowning2:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/KjEnYiJxkqS2SKuI

Apple-branded 338S0940 A0BZ1101 SGP. This looks like the Cirrus audio codec Chipworks found in the Verizon iPhone

So what if there's no Wolfson? I'd just as soon it had the Cirrus Logic chip that is in my Touch 4G.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #146 of 249
Q. Does the Cirrus chip sound better? If you use the dock connector to a headphone amp does the chip matter.

I have a 64gb 3G iPad and will get the iPad 2 when it comes to the uk. I have put a deposit already on a white one. Same memory.
I will sell my old one soon on eBay for £450 with a Piel Frama brown crocodile leather cinema case.

For me whilst there are other tablets with decent specs the specs don't make the device. The iPad is an amazing piece of kit. For entertainment with iTunes and the AppStore and the apple Eco system it rocks. Until another company has this it a near one horse race. Google are catching up. HP with webOS will too. But Apple has a huge headstart. It probably has worked out upgrades for the next 5 years to keep ahead just enough of the competition.

Main plus areas for the iPad for me. It's a better way of interacting with the world. Battery life anything from 10 hours wifi browsing to 140 hours audio. The apps are awesome. Flipboard is my social magazine. Keynote for work is smashing for presentations and clients are more drawn into an iPad PowerPoint than a laptop one. Multimedia is slick. Films. Music. No complex stuff. Just download and play.

Web browsing, emails etc all look superb as do photos. Everything is so user friendly. My wife got one and she hates technology.
Then if you use AirPlay with the Apple TV and iTunes you can do so much more.
Now iPad 2 for me is a decent upgrade. Same as above but cooler and lighter and has faster processing for games and web. Plus I will use it everyday as I do the original.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #147 of 249
For me right now no. I have the first gen and i loan it out more then i use it actually plus i rather spend the $500-$1000 on a MBP instead. I played with a friends new iPd2 yesterday and to be honest there is no need to rush and buy one now because of the A5 and cameras. Every one i know was able to pick them up easily because they went far South of Chicago to Walmarts in the small towns out in the farm cities, everyone said there was no line and Walmart had plently of them instock. I got 5 seperate people calling me asking if i wanted them to pick up one for me and i weirdly said no thanks. I think the deal on the First gen is amazing for the price!

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #148 of 249

Agreed, but I have a feeling that the next one will have a Wolfson (same for the Iphone) because Cirrus lost the partnership. 
So what if there's no Wolfson? I'd just as soon it had the Cirrus Logic chip that is in my Touch 4G.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #149 of 249
Got to play with the iPad 2 yesterday for a good amount of time. Thankfully, the headphone jack isn't recessed.

Cameras are "neat", should have been in iPad 1. But the rear facing camera is bad to the point of being useless.

Can't comment on sound quality.

Couldn't tell a real world difference in speed either. They didn't have the Infinity Blade update or Real Racing 2 HD installed, so I was stuck with browsing the web or playing games that seemed exactly the same as on my first generation iPad. Their wifi was so slow that pages took way longer to load than my iPad 1 at home.

It is A LOT easier to hold than the first generation though. I'll give it that. I always felt the curved back on the original was a stupid design choice. I never thought it was a good choice on the iPhone or iPod touch either.

The biggest drawback of the iPad 2 is the fact that the screen is glued on. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-2-Wi-Fi-Teardown/5071/1 One of the major problems I've had (and I know others have had it too) with the 6th generation iPod nano is that the glue can start to become exposed or cause the screen to shift or both. So you get a nice little line of dust and fuzz around the screen and it can shift and become uneven. And it will settle that way.

Seems a lot of people are having major issues with severe back light bleeding too, as well as dead and stuck pixels. Apple quality control at its finest.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #150 of 249

Quote:
Q. Does the Cirrus chip sound better? If you use the dock connector to a headphone amp does the chip matter.

Yes the chip still matters. You are still doing your D/A conversion with the iPad with an LOD, you're just bypassing the iPad's analog amplifier to feed an unamplified line out signal to your headphone amplifier. You would need a camera kit adapter at the very least to extract digital for external D/A conversion. The iStreamer or Algorhthm Solo are a couple of more sophisticated all-in-one options for digital audio extraction and outboard D/A conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back