iPad 2 first impressions. Will you be getting one ?
Mar 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #152 of 249
I played with one today and was highly impressed. Surfing the web was instant compared to iPad 1 with no lag time while loading pages. It felt much better in your hand, similar to a kindle. The cover was probably the coolest addition. I could care less about face time so didn't test it. The display looked better than iPad 1 for whatever reason I don't know. Initially I wanted to upgrade from my iPad 1 because of the cover and speed. It sounds stupid but the cover is genius. I will still wait and get an iPad 3.

Do!

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #153 of 249

Quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/apple-ipad-2-gpu-performance-explored-powervr-sgx543mp2-benchmarked/1

Looks like the shaders from the GPU and the FSAA capability will help the device SQ. :wink:

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #154 of 249
I have a new ipad 2 on the way (I ordered at 4 a.m. Friday, so mine is actually in transit via FedEx right now). 

I currently have a Mac Mini set up with my iTunes library on it, and I control it from a MacBook using either screen sharing or a VNC application.  I want to do this with the ipad when it arrives.

My question is, should I use the Apple Remote applicatiaon on the ipad to access iTunes on the Mac Mini, or should I use iTunes on the ipad itself, and access the music library on the mini?

If anyone is doing this sort of thing, which way is the easiest, most responsive, best looking on the ipad screen, etc.?

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #155 of 249
I bought a  Xoom and an ipad 2 a few days ago.

Xoom is already packed up to go back...unlike the Galaxy Tab you cant drop a HD mkv file on it and watch it - it just explodes all over itself.  I would short NVIDIA stock if you have some cause that Tegra2 chipset is terrible.  Honeycomb is ok, form factor is very solid, screen is ok - but the video play back being that = instant return.  This is verified via XDA as hardware and known issues with no fix in site (not a minor bug)

Ipad 2...seems like a minor upgrade to the Ipad 1.  The weight isnt enough less to not make my wrists hurt if i hold it and using itunes/handbrake to do anything is still full of fail.  If you are a web surfer/netflix/email kind of person you will REALLY enjoy having an ipad around - my wife has converted to 90 percent ipad use and about 10 percent laptop use over the last year or so.  My wife does about 20 hours+ a week on the ipad and she couldnt really tell the difference, they should have put in a better screen - crappy websites resolving in Safari a little better isnt good enough.  No one uses Faectime - its all about Skype.  And it hasnt been jailbroken yet which takes out some neat stuff.

I am not a big apple fanboy even though I have all of their products for the most part - I just like gadgets and toys and they make some decent ones.   The touch > pad > phone for music and content.  Safari is just too terrible of a browser to make it replace chrome/firefox for me as a primary device.  I just use them for portable.  If I felt like spending 9 hours handbraking content over to the ipad I would like it more.

All of the music quality is pretty bland - poor DACs and low power amps are weak for anything but an IEM.  I would pay top dollar for a touchphile or something that was tricked out for lossless music with DACs and a little more juice built in.  The app store is still a stoke of genius as well as itunes.  I am shocked there is no serious competitor to these on the market.  The Android store is a bunch of malware spam junk and no one else is even trying.  Steam is probably the only content delivery product that rivals Itunes at this point and its a niche app.

TLDR - buy an ipad 2 if you have nothing,  Dont buy if you have an ipad 1.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #156 of 249

Quote:

I am not a big apple fanboy even though I have all of their products for the most part - I just like gadgets and toys and they make some decent ones.   The touch > pad > phone for music and content.  Safari is just too terrible of a browser to make it replace chrome/firefox for me as a primary device.  I just use them for portable.  If I felt like spending 9 hours handbraking content over to the ipad I would like it more.

So basically twylight, you would be better off using HandBrake on PC then put in iTunes then sync?  That's what I do with my Touch, but thought the iPad2 would be different in that scenario?  Are you using HB 9.5?  If so, how is the iPad preset?

Thanks

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #157 of 249
I sold off my iPad1 and was one of the lucky ones Friday to get a 64Gb AT&T 3G. I can't do a direct comparison until my spouse gets back from a trip with her iPad1. All things considered at this point is that it is a 1.5 upgrade not a 2.0.

That said I was disappointed about the resale value of my original iPad. It is a jungle out there in Craigslist land:wink: I actually would have been better off to hand it down to one of my kids. Oddly neither one of them were interested. I looked I to Gazelle and EBay. But didn't want the hassle of shipping or waiting for the cash from the sale.

I'm pleased with the thinner form factor and less weight. The Smart Cover is cool, but only protects the touchpad. Tabbing multiple pages in Safari works much better.

I probably should have waited for the 3rd generation, but Steve commands me:D

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #160 of 249
They should've put a higher resolution screen, while it might not be Retina Display ppi.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Tapatalk
My understanding was that Apple wasn't able to get the yields they wanted for a Retina Display on the iPad. Keep in mind that high-density capacitive displays are not in regular production and that, further, they probably had to nail down the iPad2 specs probably 12 months ago. Apple can't conjure new parts overnight.

The good news is that Cook announced a multibillion dollar investment in new technologies. He didn't say what, but it was widely speculated that it was put into building a factory capable of building new displays.

This is why I'm holding onto my current Apple gear for another 12-18 months. My iPad is still very functional, so I'll wait for the resolution bump. An A5 in an iPhone would be sweet, but iPhone4 is still very functional and I've got another year to go on my AT&T contract. My Core2Duo MacBook is still functional, but my feeling is that the MacBook line is going to get Retina Displays in a year or so. So I'm holding off for awhile to see what turns up.

Not to derail the thread, but I really liked seeing that Canon is going to Thunderbolt. I'm in the Nikon camp, but they'll probably follow suit shortly. I'm also holding onto a D70s for the time being... but a new Nikon with a full-frame sensor and Thunderbolt would be severely tempting.

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #161 of 249
I am on the fence about the Ipad 2. I have the original Ipad, which I love to read kindle books, pdf documents, browse the web. I really do not use it for gaming or for music production. That may change, but I think that Ipad 3 would nail it. Ipad 2 is still on its way to a multipurpose Ipad, but it is not quite there. One thing I do not like about the Ipad 2 is that it is a bit flimsier than the original Ipad. The glass is thinner. While the original Ipad was built like a tank, the Ipad 2 had to make some compromises. What used to be tied using screws is now afixed using adhesive. I am keeping my original Ipad.

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #162 of 249
I'll wait for the Ipad 3.  The main improvements over the Ipad I was looking for was weight and screen improvements.  It was obvious the second iPad would have cameras and not to buy the first gen one if that's what you wanted.  I never use facetime on my mac or iphone, so no loss not having it on the Ipad.  For what I use it for, light gaming, ebooks, and web surfing, the speed improvements are not enough to make me switch.  It's lighter but not by much.  I was hoping for at least under a pound, something I could hold for longer time when using as an ebook reader.  As far as screen, the retina screen would been amazing but I'd even settle for an antiglare screen and one that doesn't collect fingerprints.  So even if the iPad 3 doesn't improve speed over the 2, but upgrades weight and screen, I'll probably pick one up.

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #163 of 249
Quick update - gaming is smoother on the ipad2 - this is the only time I can tell the difference between the two.

AFK One sec, still need to ice my wrists from gaming for an hour on it...and to charge my DS back up.

One of my coworkers got one as well and mirrored my opinion on it - get it if you have nothing, dont get it if you already have an ipad 1 (or galaxy tab)

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #164 of 249
Quote:
I have a new ipad 2 on the way (I ordered at 4 a.m. Friday, so mine is actually in transit via FedEx right now). 

I currently have a Mac Mini set up with my iTunes library on it, and I control it from a MacBook using either screen sharing or a VNC application.  I want to do this with the ipad when it arrives.

My question is, should I use the Apple Remote applicatiaon on the ipad to access iTunes on the Mac Mini, or should I use iTunes on the ipad itself, and access the music library on the mini?

If anyone is doing this sort of thing, which way is the easiest, most responsive, best looking on the ipad screen, etc.?

The best option would be to use the Apple Remote app on iPad to control iTunes on your Mac Mini.  This way, you can connect the Mac Mini's optical out to your StageDAC, or use a USB-to-SPDIF converter connected to the Mac Mini (e.g., Musical Fidelity V-Link).  I have the iPad 2 and currently using this method to control iTunes on my desktop computer.

If you use the iPod app on the iPad, the sound would be coming from your iPad, not Mac Mini.  With this method you would not be able to connect to your StageDAC.

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #165 of 249
Im buying my girlfriend one for her birthday although I don't have much use for one personally. Playing with one in the store I think they are cool to mess around with although I am never that impressed with apples "upgrades"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back