inverted polarity and norah jones
Feb 11, 2003 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jim

100+ Head-Fier
Here is an interesting experiment for those of you with the Norah Jones CD and speakers/akg K1000's or Grado HP-1 rigs. Try reversing the absolute polarity of your connections:

amp: + - + -
speakers: - + - +

I was playing around with the polarity of my speakers this morning and it seems to make the balance more realistic and imaging more precise on this CD. I haven't tested it extensively with my other CDs yet, but I thought I'd post on it anyway. Maybe it's just with my speakers, I don't know. Maybe my amp has been inverting the polarity this whole time!

edit:
sorry mods, I probably should have put this in a different forum. my bad.

Feb 12, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 2
Arrgghh - the dreaded "Wood Effect"!
wink.gif

It seems that some people are sensitive to absolute polarity and some are not. Since most multitracked pop recordings do not have consistent phase across each track after the production process, it is often not detectible. From your post I would deduce that the Norah Jones recording falls into a more "audiophile grade" category (using consistent phase) and that you are sensitive to the effect.

Positive Feedback's Clark Johnsen write a whole book on this topic. More info at: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...woodeffect.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back