Inventory
Feb 10, 2010 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
My 1TB external hard drive has started glitching lately. Accessing certain folders results in a never-ending attempt to load which eventually freezes explorer and slows down my whole system. Oddly enough, the files in these folders are accessible from other programs and seem fine so.. not sure what to make of that. But it seems the drive is corrupted somehow. Checking it for errors lead to freezing and blue screen. Not a good sign.

I'll be taking measures to back everything up but there is something I would like to do for all my drives to make things easier. Is there a program that indexes the contents of a directory and makes an html or similar file of it? So that I could pull it up and say "Ok, these folders containing these files were on this drive"? Something along those lines would be a lifesaver.

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 13
I had a similar problem a while ago; I think my windows/explorer was corrupt. I simply did a search for some free file management software and that worked for me.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 13
if other programs are fine but windows explorer is having problems then it will most likely be 1 of 2 things. the page file is getting too big either by not releasing the old page files or not being large enough to handle it the next would be a corrupt explorer did you have a recent update? if you did you could try and reload that file and see if it helps.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 13
Guys, I never really asked what was wrong with the hard drive. Thanks for trying to help but I'm on top of backing up actual files, I would just like to make a comprehensive database so that I know what to look for on the dvds I'm burning.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me google that for you

Thanks. You've got me in the right direction at least. Now if I could find a program that actually functions. ~_~ Directory Tree List Maker worked for one drive but not the other. Odd. It also outputs as a txt file so the options are a tad limited. Advanced Directory Indexer acts as if it's working. It doesn't freeze or give a fail message. It just kinda.. stops after a few files.

I would have thought something like this would be more common.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 13
I remember trying a power desk suite that I think could do something like that.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 13
I use SpaceSniffer for quick indexing and folder management. SpaceSniffer

Probably my favorite app for reorganizing my drives
smily_headphones1.gif
After about the 6th bad hard drive I've had, I basically mirror hard drive with a duplicate drive.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 13
Back-up immediately! It is foolish to think that HDDs have a bad day. I think you know that, but still.
wink.gif

About backing-up I always back-up the easiest way. I just back-up the folders that I want and don't ever fiddle around with other apps that claim to do the same thing. I recommend you don't use any program.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About backing-up I always back-up the easiest way. I just back-up the folders that I want and don't ever fiddle around with other apps that claim to do the same thing. I recommend you don't use any program.

The advantage of those programs is that they can do a lot more and they can do it automatically. Think about incremental and differential backups or synchronizing data. An automatic back-up is without any doubt better than manual work. What you have to consider is the importance of the data your making a backup of of course.

As for the OP. I don't think I've ever heard of a program which does what you're trying to achieve here. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist of course.

Edit: Maybe this is something you can use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back