Invasion of the X-Ponents
Nov 21, 2001 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
I have been interested in listening to the X-Can with the X-PSU, but with the last X-PSU on ebay going for about $277, that was looking less than probable. Then, I managed to find an ad for an X-LP2 with X-PSU for $275 shipped...the package arrived today.

The X-LP2 is very cool itself- a dual monobloc phono section. Each channel is in a separate Musical Fidelity "can", and both are powered off the X-PSU, and are connected by a ground wire. So far, sound is quite good (there may be an NAD phono section in the for sale area pretty soon). The two phono amps and the X-PSU stack into a neat little pyramid
smily_headphones1.gif

But how about with the X-Cans? Still early, but I'm impressed. There's a sense of real weight and depth in the midrange and bass...a solidity that wasn't quite there previously. It's a bit early to go into depth, but this power supply does bring out the best in the X-Can. I've only got Senn's but I'd be curious to see if the power upgrade improves the X-Can's ability with other loads. An experiment for the future...

I think the JJ tubes and the X-PSU pretty much max out the performance of the X-Can. I'm going to listen for awhile, and see if this is "good enough", or if I should take another step...

Nov 24, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 5
If I didn't have any other cans besides the 580s I would stop right here.
The sound is magic!
smily_headphones1.gif

(you have the same setup as I do with JJs and the x-psu)
This combo drives the sony 1700 well but its not as good with my grados and it doesn't seem to like my 501s.
frown.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Damn, you got lucky! An X-lp2 usually sells for around £350, or $500! It's an excellent phono stage, and completely blows the NAD out of the water!
Andrew

Nov 30, 2001 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Damn, you got lucky! An X-lp2 usually sells for around £350, or $500! It's an excellent phono stage, and completely blows the NAD out of the water!
Andrew
eek.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 5
I think LP2 is the first dual monobloc phono section I've seen. It's also very revealing, extremely useful since my main system was previously the only way I could hear if a table was set up correctly. I've got a Grado red, Grace F9E Ruby, or Shure V15 Type Vmr to use with it, but I think the best bet may be to fork out for a low output MC (Oh my achin' wallet!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back