Introductory Amp/DAC
May 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

griffindy

New Head-Fier
Hi all;

I've been reading on these forums for a while, but here's my first post. I recently took the plunge and bought a pair of Grado sr80i's and am very pleased. People seem to be very split on whether low end Grados benefit much from amping (at least from what I can tell/have read). I'm looking for a DAC/amp that is fairly cheap with a few requirements (which is why I'm asking people who are more knowledgeable than I am. I have a macbook pro, which means I don't have a plethora of USB ports, but I do have this fancy digital output, so I was wondering if there any cheap DAC/amps that have a TOSLINK in and a wall power supply (instead of a USB power supply). And by cheap I'm hoping to keep it to $100 or under, though I suppose I could start saving now...

thanks in advance

May 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
Hi all;

I've been reading on these forums for a while, but here's my first post. I recently took the plunge and bought a pair of Grado sr80i's and am very pleased. People seem to be very split on whether low end Grados benefit much from amping (at least from what I can tell/have read). I'm looking for a DAC/amp that is fairly cheap with a few requirements (which is why I'm asking people who are more knowledgeable than I am. I have a macbook pro, which means I don't have a plethora of USB ports, but I do have this fancy digital output, so I was wondering if there any cheap DAC/amps that have a TOSLINK in and a wall power supply (instead of a USB power supply). And by cheap I'm hoping to keep it to $100 or under, though I suppose I could start saving now...

thanks in advance

to be frank, you're not going to get very far with 100 dollars and under. To be completely honest, you're not going to get very far by needing both TOSLINK and an external power supply. Most people suggest the e7/e9 combo in a situation like yours. So i'll do the same. It doesn't seem like you really have an option here since your budget isn't within the lines of higher up components which can be used in the future as well. If you need more usb ports, either get a dock or get a usb splitter, that's my suggestion to you. 

May 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:

to be frank, you're not going to get very far with 100 dollars and under. To be completely honest, you're not going to get very far by needing both TOSLINK and an external power supply. Most people suggest the e7/e9 combo in a situation like yours. So i'll do the same. It doesn't seem like you really have an option here since your budget isn't within the lines of higher up components which can be used in the future as well. If you need more usb ports, either get a dock or get a usb splitter, that's my suggestion to you. 

lazysleepyboi: thanks so much for the quick response. I was a little afraid that my budget constraints would be a problem, but I just wanted to check in case. Does anyone have any feelings about the audio-gd sparrow? That seems like it could be a fairly cheap solution? Otherwise I'll just save up for the e7/e9 combo and keep enjoying my sr80i's the way they are now.

May 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
lazysleepyboi: thanks so much for the quick response. I was a little afraid that my budget constraints would be a problem, but I just wanted to check in case. Does anyone have any feelings about the audio-gd sparrow? That seems like it could be a fairly cheap solution? Otherwise I'll just save up for the e7/e9 combo and keep enjoying my sr80i's the way they are now.

just do a quick google search like "audio gd sparrow head-fi" and you'll most likely get some results from it. I'm sure some people have heard of it. 

May 29, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:

I'm picking up a sparrow A version, should have it before the weeks over. I can tell you how it sounds with the 80i's I have. Look into modding your 80i's btw.. I'm gonna link you to a thread, take it one piece at a time and for what it is. I can't recommend modding Grado's anymore. The only thing I have done to my 80i's that I didn't care for was poking out all 10 holes on the back of the drivers, but I picked up a dollar piece of felt yesterday and I'm about to close some of them up right now. I have a 8 conductor silver cable in the mail (which is totally overkill, don't buy one of these, I just found a good deal and splurged on it) and some cups made out of rosewood. 

you owe it to yourself to at least try some different pads and modding them and removing that damn driver cloth. those alone will show you improvement. Please do it! I understand not everyone wants to open up headphones, but these are crazy easy to open and venting 4 or so holes gives you some lovely bass. I just suggest you don't do what I did and keep punching them out just out of curiosity. Mine are a bit too bassy now. NOT MUDDY never muddy, just a bit too much emphasis on the lower end for my tastes. The dynamat mod also is very well known and very easy to do. I couldn't sleep unless I told you about these. 

Happy modding (hopefully) and I'll update once I get to hear the sparrow, but the only thing I have to compare it to is line out or my PA2v2.

May 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I'm picking up a sparrow A version, should have it before the weeks over. I can tell you how it sounds with the 80i's I have. Look into modding your 80i's btw.. I'm gonna link you to a thread, take it one piece at a time and for what it is. I can't recommend modding Grado's anymore. The only thing I have done to my 80i's that I didn't care for was poking out all 10 holes on the back of the drivers, but I picked up a dollar piece of felt yesterday and I'm about to close some of them up right now. I have a 8 conductor silver cable in the mail (which is totally overkill, don't buy one of these, I just found a good deal and splurged on it) and some cups made out of rosewood. 

you owe it to yourself to at least try some different pads and modding them and removing that damn driver cloth. those alone will show you improvement. Please do it! I understand not everyone wants to open up headphones, but these are crazy easy to open and venting 4 or so holes gives you some lovely bass. I just suggest you don't do what I did and keep punching them out just out of curiosity. Mine are a bit too bassy now. NOT MUDDY never muddy, just a bit too much emphasis on the lower end for my tastes. The dynamat mod also is very well known and very easy to do. I couldn't sleep unless I told you about these. 

Happy modding (hopefully) and I'll update once I get to hear the sparrow, but the only thing I have to compare it to is line out or my PA2v2.

thanks a lot chrislangley4254, I actually just purchased a StyleAudio Carat-Emerald and a Little Dot I+ (yes, a little above my original budget...) and I'm going to see how those sound before I attempt any sort of modding of my SR80's, and too be honest I'm a little afraid to do so, although the guides I've seen look pretty straightforward, and I could be interested in getting a little bit more bass response out of these cans, so we'll see what the future holds, thanks again though!

May 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
thanks a lot chrislangley4254, I actually just purchased a StyleAudio Carat-Emerald and a Little Dot I+ (yes, a little above my original budget...) and I'm going to see how those sound before I attempt any sort of modding of my SR80's, and too be honest I'm a little afraid to do so, although the guides I've seen look pretty straightforward, and I could be interested in getting a little bit more bass response out of these cans, so we'll see what the future holds, thanks again though!

then you need to open them up and punch those holes.. this is THE mod that does wonders for the lower end.. that and wooden cups :wink:

May 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 11
this is the way it was just explained to me and it makes so much sense.. The felt is there to block some shrill highs.. which occur because of the plastic cups and the magnet area... but, because it blocks air flow it REALLY kills the bass. I'd suggest punching two holes.. see if you see a difference. If not, go for 4. Don't go beyond 4 with plastic shells because then things get too shrill and bassy in my and a few others opinions.. i just A/B'd it and 4 holes is perfect, this may change when I get a silver cable and wooden cups and my much better amp and my dac. i'll update for you. I would suggest getting two small pieces of dynamat for the drivers if you do the hole punching mod. I think you'll be quite happy if you do this. Get all that you can out of those drivers, give them the air they are craving :) oh and removing the stock grille lol. there is just so much you can do. 

best of luck to ya. 

May 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm giving it some thought, I'm just going to wait for my other components to arrive and burn them in a little bit. But from why I understand, you can separate the plastic bits with heat, either steam or blowdryer, and then punch the wholes, and then I'm assuming you can just use regular glue back together? I should try to find some pictures of this, I'm better with pictures.

May 29, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 11
1) I suggest you use the steam method. heat up some water till it steams, pour it in a deepish pan, but the shells in there grill down, the glue will soften.

you won't need glue to get it back together unless you pick off all the glue.. some will stick around and they will stay together without adding any adhesive and you will be able to take them apart again whenever you want.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod

go through this thread.. while you are burning your stuff in.

May 29, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 11
Just buy an E7, not worth getting the E9 for something like the SR80's, the money would be better spent on a headphone upgrade. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back