Introduction to Head-Fi; and some questions\advice to\from the resident experts on the xDuoo X3 DAP.
Oct 29, 2016 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GreelyI

New Head-Fier
My name is Ian Greely. I have been using progressively more expensive and "lossy" walkmans for near 40 years now. Starting with an Alba "Personal Tape Player" in the early 80s; through Akai, Sony, JVC. Then a brief flirtation with the insane idea of a portable CD Player...

I've had a cheap 64MB no-brand MP3 player. A Creative Labs Nomad DAP II. The Creative Zen. An iPod 2nd Gen. iPod Touch, iPod 160GB classic so this is not my first rodeo.

Last week I bought an xDuoo X3 having seen some positive comments upon the unit and it's sound quality. Coupled with JVC earbuds or SkullCandy Hesh Black/Blue headphones the difference in sound quality is the jump from stretched out tape to Stereo CD. It is amazing how much we will sacrifice for convenience. But - ho hum!

After reading forum posts here and other reviews I have a few questions.

1) The slow playing of Flacs. - Is this fixed by modification of the firmware to Rockbox; or should I send this back as it is still in a cooling off period.
     a) If it can be rectified by modding the firmware. Is it possible to return it to the original factory firmware or is this a one way warranty breaking process?

2) Are there drivers for Windows 10 that support loading data onto the inserted card? At present I see nothing when the device is connected, the PC is just a big charger.

3) Are there any pointers to a more comprehensive manual than the pitiful leaflet style user manual supplied?

4) Is anyone aware of other resources that would help in getting up to speed in use of this device?

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,
Ian

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 3
  1) The slow playing of Flacs. - Is this fixed by modification of the firmware to Rockbox; or should I send this back as it is still in a cooling off period.
     a) If it can be rectified by modding the firmware. Is it possible to return it to the original factory firmware or is this a one way warranty breaking process?

XDuoo maker is located in China.
So if it breaks under warranty, would you even bother shipping it all the way to China.
So i say Rockbox it.

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your reply PurpleAngel. I am trying to get on the RockBox express but am hitting a classic gotcha.

Do you know of a guide to allow a windows 7 Guest on a Windows 10 hosted Hyper-V to attach to the xDuoo X3 via USB.

Presumably it can be done as people mention that it is supported. For the life of me I do not see how I can configure it and have drawn a zero in finding any pages that explain how it can be achieved.

Same question to any other xDuoo/Rockbox experts on the site. XP and Windows 7 no longer being available this question is bound to recur.

Kind regards,
Ian

<Edit>
It turns out that by formatting the Micro SD card in the correct way, copying the RockBox files onto it and following the update instructions found on this site, you can add Rockbox to your xDuoo X3 without the Windows 7 update.  

I chased my tail for a bit trying to figure this out and post this to aid others avoiding a wild goose chase!
<End edit>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back