Introduction and my new SDS Labs headphone amp
Apr 3, 2004 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

amb

Member of the Trade: AMB Laboratories
Hi all,

I just registered in these forums although I have been a long-time DIY audio fan. It's good to see many enthusiasts here engaged in the same art and science.

Anyway, I have just completed my rendition of the SDS Labs headphone amp. A photo is included below, more pics and info are at the following link. Check it out:

http://www.amb.org/ti/audio/beta18.html

I am very pleased with the results. Your comments are also welcome!

-Ti

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 22
welcome to head-fi, that is some beautiful work.
600smile.gif

dsc00789.jpg

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 22
Whoa...
eek.gif
That's nice. Massive sucker, idn't it?

Also, is that an M3 logo I see hiding above the knob? If so, is it referring to the BMW M3, or something else I'm not aware of?

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 22
amb,

Welcome to head-Fi! Great-looking amp!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Also, is that an M3 logo I see hiding above the knob? If so, is it referring to the BMW M3, or something else I'm not aware of?

It's a stylized monogram of amb's nick: AMB

D.

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 22
Ah. Didn't see that before. Then, perhaps it's subconscious. I want it to be M3, so it becomes M3. Or something like that.

Anyway, yeah, cool amp. And logo. Heh, wonder how I'd fit 'Stephonovich' on an amp. Likely I'd use my initials (SMG), I've got a fairly cool way of writing them. Wait, no... PI! (yes, 3.141592...) I'm obsessed with Pi. I write it everywhere. Style it every which way. Even tried making a circle of Pi. Didn't work out so well, but I'm working on it. I'm convinced a circle of Pi would answer some deep question to the universe
biggrin.gif

If/when I ever get a custom bass, it's going to have Pi inlays on the fretboard until the 12th, where there's going to be a '69' laid on it's side. I discovered with the right font, it looks like the infinity circle. Being a fan of Tool, and also of messing with people (something Tool enjoys), I figure it'll be perfect. Some will think I'm a sick pervert, some won't get it, and others will think I'm a genius. Or not. Ah well. It's still cool.

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for all your compliments.

The amp front panel is 5 inches wide, 3 inches tall, and the whole case including volume knob protrusion and rear jacks is 15" deep. So yeah, it's a rather long unit.

As for the logo, it's not M3. It's my screen name "amb", in all caps, with the letters 'A' and the 'B' joined into the M.

-Ti

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 22
Another question, on the front, there's two headphone logos above the Neutrik jacks. The other side looks like it has Neutriks as well. So is this a dual output amp, or does it have balanced TRS I/O?

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #9 of 22
If that thing sounds anywhere near as good as it looks, you've got a real winner on your hands. Your skills at this DIY stuff are quite developed, and it shows in the fit and finish of your amp.

OBTW, is this thing a dual mono design? The layout looks totally symetrical, that's why I ask.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 22
Stephonovich,

It has two jacks for simultaneous connection of two pairs of headphones. They are wired together internally.

Go to the link above in my first post for a more detailed description about the amp. There are also more high-res images of the amp from different angles there.

-Ti

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 22
Looks like it to me, except for the fact that I only see one opamp socket. Aren't dual monos usually two seperate mono opamps? Or, at the extreme, two seperate enclosures?
biggrin.gif
(I swear, one day, I'll do that just for the heck of it. So cool)

EDIT: Ah, OK. I never saw that page; I just went directly to your main website from your profile's link. Excellent amp, through and through. Oh, and since no one's done it yet...

"Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet."

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:21 AM Post #12 of 22
The circuit board does look nicely symmetrical, thanks to Sheldon Stokes (SDS Labs) who designed and made the board. However it's not a true dual mono setup. The two channels share a common regulated power supply section, and the op amp is a dual unit. Other than that, there is complete symmetry between the two channels on the board.

The power transformer casing's fins also nicely mirrors those of the heat sinks.

I do like the sound of the amp. It is influenced greatly by the op amp, the MOSFETs and the power supply. I built the top cover to have an opening not only for ventilation, but to make it easy to swap op amps for experimentation. My favorites are the AD8620 and the AD8066. These are very fast and detailed, giving a nice counterpoint to the warmth and full bass provided by the large power supply and MOSFETs.

-Ti

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 22
Very nice work, amb! It's just beautiful.

Welcome to Head-Fi, and I guess your wallet is already broken it, so it seems.
wink.gif

edit: meant to say "broken iN"

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Voodoochile
Welcome to Head-Fi, and I guess your wallet is already broken it, so it seems.
wink.gif

Yes, I have too many expensive hobbies, and too little time.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ti

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by amb
Yes, I have too many expensive hobbies, and too little time.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ti

Hrmmm... perhaps we were seperated at birth then.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back